Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 8th October 2005, 03:36 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Rubs her side against furniture

Our 17 month old female fawn seems to rub against the side of our couch as if she is itchy sometimes. She also shakes her whole body and rubs the side of her face on the carpet too. This is not a constant action, but quite often. She has been to the vet for checkups and recently spayed (she did this before spaying) and she does not have fleas. She had an injury a few months ago and was put on steroids, and she even behaved like this while on the medication,which the vet said was odd since steroids are prescribed for allergies. We had had a nylon halter on her most of the time and tried taking it off for awhile,but she still rubs and shakes. We switched her food to Nutro Lamb & Rice for Large Dogs which she seems to like ok. We even put some earmite meds in her ear to see if that would help with no luck(even the vet didn't find mites). I am wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms with their boxer? I wonder sometimes if it could be a nervous condition of some kind? She LOVES to be scratched and her leg "dances" when I do. Her skin doesn't appear to be flakey or dry and we bathe her once a month with oatmeal formula dog shampoo. Thanks for any ideas on this type of behavior.
Sponsored Links

Old 8th October 2005, 08:16 PM
Super Boxer

Yep got to agree with nana..Tango does it too! After eating he feels so good he must share his dinner with the furniture. Rub along couch then dive bomb into his bed and roll around rubbing face then off to the chair for one last rub full length...shame on him LOL but he is so cute doing ..how can i get mad???

Old 8th October 2005, 08:54 PM
Boxer Insane

Question hmmm

Dempsey just started this also. I was beginning to attribute it to allergy season and try Benadryl and if it eases it, then it probaby is allergies, then I'd have to try to figure out what could be causing it. But after reading here that so many Boxer-butt babies do it...I don't know. Maybe I'll still try the Benadryl test. Keep us posted. Good luck.
HBBR

Old 8th October 2005, 09:22 PM
Boxer Insane

Lily does there EVERY morning after she gets up! She rubs herself along her favorite chair and rubs and rubs some more.

Old 8th October 2005, 10:14 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I really think this is a boxer thing. Magic did it, Deeg does it and I've seen other boxers do it. This may sound silly but I always thought it was their way of keeping their faces and body clean.

Old 8th October 2005, 11:30 PM
Boxer Booster

Luka does this as well. Funny, I was thinking of posting on here to see if any others do it too. I usually sit on the floor to play w/ him and rest up against the couch and every single time he will bury his face in between the couch and myself. Even if I am not against anything he will still come up to me and bury himself head first into me and sometimes it even results into him actually flipping himself over, head first!!

Old 9th October 2005, 08:13 AM
Energetic Moderator

Whataface! -

Please post your Introduction. This is something required of all new members, and should actually be your first post

www.boxerworld.com/rules

Old 9th October 2005, 10:07 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Talking maybe it is a smell they like, or allergy

i have a three year old boxer, he never rubs his body against the furniture. actually, my DH has stinky feet. he uses a shoe freshener that smells pretty powdery. as soon as DH comes home brutus waits by the fireplace, where DH sits his shoes on our 2ft brick ledge from our fireplace. grabs the freshener, by this time brutus is going nuts, then he squirts the freshener into his shoes. Brutus smells the shoes, then he turns his body into the bricks and shoes repeatedly (sp). it almost looks like he is trying to trap the smell or maybe my dog is a fanatic about smelling good, who knows. all i know is it is hilarious.

Old 9th October 2005, 10:09 AM
Boxer Pal

Don't they all?

One of mine, Kealy, loves to root in the bed right after we get out in the mornings!

Old 10th October 2005, 11:19 AM
Boxer Buddy

Itchy

Tyson is my two year old fawn boxer. He has had severe itching all of his life. It is to the point where his lips will bleed. He rubs his head against all the furniture to try to get the itch, and he licks in between his toes every chance he gets. He would keep licking them for an hour if he could but I try to distract him before too many minutes. He was eating the Nutro lamb and rice formula until recently when my vet thought he might be allergic, so she put him on a perscription food. It was too expensive so we tried Purina for sensitive skin. This has not helped. I have also tried Benadryl, and that also did nothing. Any suggestions?