Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 6th July 2005, 12:12 AM
Boxer Pal

Question Age for ear crop

Is 14 weeks too old to crop a boxers ears? Im just curious and wanted to know. The vet said he will not crop the ears till their 12 weeks old. But is there a point to where they can not be done?
Sponsored Links

Old 6th July 2005, 02:56 AM
Boxer Insane

Actually, I believe that most vets will not crop past 12 weeks - so the window of opportunity for cropping is really between 10-12 weeks of age. Beyond 12 weeks, cropped ears are unlikely ever to stand. Now there is the occassional puppy for whom that isn't true, and they have a particular type of ear cartillage such that vets may recommend cropping after 12 weeks. But it would be very rare, I think, for a puppy to be cropped beyond 14 weeks.

If you do a search of the forums, you'll find many previous threads on cropping, including the age at which it can be done.

Old 6th July 2005, 09:50 AM
Boxer Insane

my vet will not crop any dogs ears after 12 weeks of age. most vets will either not perform the crop or not recommend it. i've never heard of a vet requiring the dog to be 12 weeks old in order for him to perform the crop.

Old 6th July 2005, 10:05 AM
Banned

We've had two of our boxer's ears cropped past 12 weeks. One at 16 weeks and the other at 15 weeks. Actually, we had better success than with the two that we had done at 12 weeks.

Our vet told us that the older they get, the percentage of the ears standing will decrease greatly. He will not crop past 16 weeks.

Old 6th July 2005, 10:42 AM
Boxer Pal

Our vet wouldn't crop Piston when we got her at 12 weeks. He suggested 10 weeks. So, now she has floppy ears and a tail!
Ty's Mommy - Rott/Dobey - 7 yrs.

Old 17th July 2005, 09:51 PM
Boxer Pal

Question help

well i finally got his ears cropped, but what is a good way to keep them clean while the stitches are in? everytime my dog sees a cotton ball he runs away and he wont let me get near them, if i touch his ears with anything he growls and runs and hides....Im sure their pretty sore and all. Another question : The vet left a cotton ball in one of his ears, you think he jsut forgot it or what? I tried to putt it out but the dog wont let me get hear him with any type of tweezer or anything....any suggestions?

Old 19th July 2005, 01:07 PM
Boxer Insane

sounds as if you are going to need someone to assist you by holding your dog in a secure and safe position in order for him to allow you to clean his ears and/or remove the cotton ball. keep in mind to start slow and give your dog a reward for being good and not making a big fuss about it. getting him used to this form of handling will help him adjust and allow it once he is older.