Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2005, 09:54 AM
Boxer Booster

Another spay question-oozing and swelling

Anyone else's dog experience swelling and oozing from a spay incision several days after the spay? Louise's incision has a hard lump under it and one of the stitches is oozing a bloody but clear liquid. I did call the vet and he said just to keep an eye on it for now it's probably ok if nothing is poking through the incision and she's acting fine otherwise. The vet is new to me so though I'm sure he knows what he's talking about I figure I still have the right to worry, lol. I'm concerned since we're coming up on a long weekend. I don't want an emergency vet bill (anyone else notice that emergencies always seem to happen on weekends or at night?)!

It seems more swollen now, at least the lump is larger, than it was after she was spayed on Tue.

She's licking at the incision too, not constantly but too much imo. I tried putting Odin's e-collar on her but it's too big and she gets it off. Maybe I should just keep putting it on her since she messes with it then instead of her incision!

Kerri
Sponsored Links

Old 1st July 2005, 10:07 AM
Super Boxer

when i got princess spayed i didnt notice any unusual oozing or swelling.. i kept a e-collar on her when ever i couldnt watch her to keep her from licking it.. i would go out and buy a e-collar that fits her.. and try not to let her lick it at all.. just to be on the safe side since you said that the lump is larger i'd get it checked out.. its been about 7 1/2 months since princess has been spayed and there is a little dime sized lump where her spay scar is.. i'm guessing it is a hernia and i am going to get it check out as soon as i can

Old 1st July 2005, 10:15 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I would insist that your vet give you some antibiotics for her, especially with the long weekend ahead. Swelling and oozing are the first signs of infection, and you do not want that to become a serious problem when vets are closed for 3 days.

If you want, you can choose to not start her on them right away, but at least you'll have them should it get worse. Sure beats a $200 ER bill.

Good luck and I am sure she'll be just fine.

Old 2nd July 2005, 10:36 PM
Boxer Booster

I got Louise into the vet this morning. He said her incision was healing nicely and she had licked one of her external stitches out which is what is oozing, I hadn't noticed that. He said the lump is scar tissue and some swelling, and that it happens with some dogs, it will go down eventually. It doesn't look any worse today.

I modified Odin's e-collar to fit her. I had to go away tonight and there was no taking her with us. I was worried she would get the collar off and really mess up her stitches and a little concerned about leaving it on her while I was gone. I got home and it was still on but somehow she was able to lick her stitches anyway! I could tell because it she had the incision cleaned off where before it had a little build-up of the stuff that's seeping out and she has the skin around it irritated again. I have no idea how, it doesn't look possible. I have a hard time keeping up with this girl compared to Odin!

He put her on anitbiotics too just to be safe. I was really impressed with him. The spay was only $60.00 and he didn't charge me anything for today's visit or the antibiotics. That helps a lot since I'm fostering her through our local shelter and we had to pay the spay fee ourselves.

Kerri

Old 3rd July 2005, 09:52 AM
Super Boxer

wow.. only $60 for getting her spayed! thats good.. i paid around $260ish to get Princess spayed