Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 25th June 2005, 12:19 PM
Boxer Buddy

Question Jax only has his Canine teeth!

I'm kinda worried about my Boy, considering he's only 3 years old! He has no teeth except for his main four canines, on the top and bottom. I was afriad it was affecting his health but he weighs 70 pounds, and the vet said he was fine. You can see in his gums where the teeth should be, and maybe he might have lost them, but he's just too young. He's a very playful and affectionate dog, and we love him dearly, but is it normal for a boxer to be missing teeth? I don't think so, but I'm really curious. Could this affect his health in the long run? I know theres probably nothing to do about it, just curious if anyone has ever seen this before on a young boxer, maybe theres an explaination?!?
Sponsored Links

Old 25th June 2005, 04:57 PM
Elusive Moderator

Does that mean his teeth have fallen out, or just that the gums have overgrown the teeth? And which teeth are missing? Just the ones in the front, or has he lost his molars further back in the mouth as well?

I think it would be wise to see a vet about it. If his teeth have actually fallen out, it may not be a particularly big issue. Dogs on commercial diets actually have a limited need for teeth anyway - and it's one of the reasons they can have problems with the gums overgrowing the front teeth. BUT having the teeth overgrown by gums can cause some major problems with decay and infection - so if that's possibly the problem then seeing a vet would be very wise. They may have to cut some of the gums away.

Incidentally - I have merged the two copies of this question that you posted in different forums. Please review the board rules - we do not allow crossposting of the same message in multiple forums.

Old 27th June 2005, 09:25 AM
Boxer Buddy

Thanks

I have been looking at his teeth, and i think that his gums are over grown on top and bottom. I had never heard of this occuring before, so i had no idea what to look for. Jax was a rescue dog, we've had him for nearly 6 months, and before that a friend of the family had him since she rescued him about 2 years ago. He's a very young dog, and I don't think that those front teeth not showing are bothering him at all. He eats like a horse, but here's a kicker, hes not gaining weight. He looks a tiny bit ribby. Like i've said before he weighs 70 lbs, and is SOLID muscle. We feed him a high protein diet, and he doesn't get table food ever (gives him upset tummy), and yet he still won't gain weight, or at least some fat. We don't want an overweight dog, we just don't want him to look too skinny.

Old 27th June 2005, 11:40 AM
Elusive Moderator

Well, they may not appear to be bothering him just yet, but if his teeth are overgrown by his gums, then they will start to bother him at some stage. Unfortunately, the stage at which that becomes apparent is likely to be when his teeth have rotted to the point that he is suffering severe pain and possible blood poisoning. Dogs don't show that sort of pain until it is severe.

It would be very wise to have a vet look at his teeth/gums - sooner rather than later. This is not a "normal" thing to occur - it is a problem that probably requires intervention and regular teeth cleaning afterward.

Old 27th June 2005, 11:45 AM
Boxer Pal

My boy Biff dont have any front bottom teeth. Biff will be 7 Aug 30th. This has never been a problem.