Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 15th June 2005, 05:49 PM
Boxer Insane

Keeps throwing up... what could it be?

Lily has been throwing up for two days now. She can't keep anything in her system. She just got inside from a walk and she came in, drank some water, and threw up, it's watery with brown stuff. Her stool is solid but she had trouble getting it out just now.

Our vet is closed today. Should we take her to an emergency vet or is it something that can wait until tomorrow.
Sponsored Links

Old 15th June 2005, 06:06 PM
Boxer Booster

Can she keep any water down at all? We have been through allot with our dogs. This could be a number of things. I would take her because boxers can "crash" real fast without fluids. At least the vet could give her fluids under the skin. You can check to see if she is dehydrated by pressing on her gums. If the gums turn pink real fast after she is hydrated. If the gums are light pink and kinda white she needs fluids now. The way we look at it is better to be safe than sorry! We would take her. Good luck keep us posted

Old 15th June 2005, 06:10 PM
Boxer Insane

Cinnamon was sick a few weeks ago. She threw up all morning from 5 am onward. Her puke was a mucousy brown and once it was just water. Turn sout she ate my underwear... AGAIN! Dont ask how she keep sgetting them because theyr en a hamper with a lid. Anyhow, maybe Lily ate something and shes trying to puke it up to calm her tummy. Has she been eating a lot of grass?
Sheba- waiting at the Bridge for me

Old 15th June 2005, 06:17 PM
Boxer Insane

She's been trying to eat a lot of grass but we haven't been letting her because the apartment grass has been treated with pesicides. I pressed on her gums and they turn pink again right away. She just drank some more water and so far, it's staying down. We just got a hold of vet and he wants us to keep a close eye on her and he's going to call us in a few hours and we have his home phone number.

He told us not to give her any food or water right until he calls to let her tummy settle.

Old 15th June 2005, 06:34 PM
Boxer Booster

Good hydration is key. Did she eat anything like her food or treats? You did the right thing by calling.

Old 15th June 2005, 06:58 PM
Boxer Booster

My question is for the past two days. I know your vet said not to give her anything. Like Shanz said it could be she just trying to get something up or maybe just a flu bug. I'm sure your vet will take care of her.

Old 15th June 2005, 08:04 PM
Boxer Insane

We are actually talking to Chris's parents vet since our vet is closed. He actually just now called to check on her and we are to call him at any time tonight if something goes wrong.

But, he still doesn't want us to give her anything until tomorrow... but in Colorado, the air is so dry here... I would think we should sneak her in some drinks of water.

Old 15th June 2005, 08:11 PM
Boxer Insane

I'm sorry to hear that Lily isn't feeling well. If you felt more comfortable giving her a little water, maybe you could try some ice cubes or ice chips-that way she can "wet her lips" a bit, but not overdo it. Our vet had also recommended no food for 24 hours after our pup vomitted. I hope she's feeling better real soon and Ty sends her some boxer lovins to help her along!!

Old 15th June 2005, 08:17 PM
Boxer Insane

Thanks everyone for your help! We're going to stay up late with her to make sure she's doing good. She's not as lethargic now and is wanting to play but she is whining a lot. That probably has to do more with the fact she hasn't gotten to do much in the last couple of days and its killing her (she's usually a energic hyper maniac!)

Old 15th June 2005, 08:21 PM
Boxer Insane

The worst part about the whole thing is that look on her face after she's thrown up on the carpet... just a look of pure guilt because she doesn't want us to be mad at her... even though we would never get mad at her for being sick, its not her fault.

Poor thing.

Old 15th June 2005, 08:44 PM
Boxer Insane

Oh, your poor baby. It's so hard because they just don't understand what's going on. Please give Miss Lily a smooch from Ty and I!

Old 16th June 2005, 07:15 AM
Boxer Insane

She doesn't have any energy this morning and won't even drink water. She's crying where one of her beds use to be because we threw it away it had so much throw up on it.

She is now playing with her favorite rubber duckie!

We call the vet back in 45 minutes when he gets back into the office.