Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 28th December 2004, 01:50 PM
Boxer Booster

Unhappy throwing up after drinking water

my 10 month old boxer puppy has been throwing up after drink water--- he hoards down water and throws up everything that is in his stomach. we used to let him drink from the shower faucet, but then he started throwing up. now, when he drinks from his water bowl, he drinks so much that he is still throwing up. should we limit his water??? i am at a loss at what to do
Sponsored Links

Old 28th December 2004, 01:58 PM
Boxer Insane

This seems to be a common thing w/ boxers, as I've seen multiple posts on this.

Here are a couple:
http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/sho...too+much+water
Drinking too much water too fast????

It seems most people either limit the water, or teach the dog a command such as "enough" to get the dog to have a break from drinking for a minute.

Gulping a lot of water at a time could cause bloat, which can be deadly.

I suggest do a search for "gulping water" or "too much water" and you'll find a lot of people with the same problem.

Old 28th December 2004, 02:15 PM
Boxer Booster

thanks for the links... keep your fingers crossed

Old 28th December 2004, 02:54 PM
Super Boxer

Quote:
Gulping a lot of water at a time could cause bloat, which can be deadly.
Where did you get this information from? (Other than this site) Maybe you meant gulping in a lot of air while consuming a lot of water? Iíve heard that drinking a lot of water right before and after a meal can lead to bloat but not just plain drinking water.

You donít want to deny him water (not leave it down) b/c then heíll really hoard it down when he does get it. But I do take up his water before and after meals. When Owen drinks A LOT of water I just distract him. That usually does the trick. When we go out to play to the park or something I use a gulpy for his water supply and it works great. I control how much water comes out. My problem with Owen is not throwing up when he drinks too much water (which I hear is pretty common) but he actually chokes on it which isnít good b/c that can lead to infection if it gets in his lungs. One vet told me if they do drink too much water its better they throw it up rather than try to keep it down, as someone mentioned in this thread:
http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/sho...too+much+water

Quote:
It's a good idea to have him calm down before eating or drinking a lot after going for a run or a heavy walk.
I agree with this, if Owen is REALLY out of breathe I will take his water up until he calms down a bit.

Old 28th December 2004, 02:59 PM
Elusive Moderator

If you don't want him to drink too much water in one go, the simplest way to achieve that is to use a small water dish

You can refill it frequently, so he always has reasonable access to fresh water, but (obviously) not immediately after he has just emptied the bowl.

Old 28th December 2004, 03:23 PM
Boxer Insane

Our girl Dakota used to throw up water all the time which of course was because she was gulping too much at once. We continued to always have fresh, cold water down for her but what we taught her her was to "take a break". We would let her drink so much and then say "take a break", she would stop, take a breather for a few minutes and then go back for more. After doing it this way, she no longer threw up water. We were happy and she was still able to get all the water she needed.

Old 28th December 2004, 04:53 PM
Boxer Insane

firdt thing i thought of was bloat too. Cinnamon is a glutton wit water too.
Sheba- waiting at the Bridge for me

Old 28th December 2004, 09:19 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit02
Where did you get this information from? (Other than this site) Maybe you meant gulping in a lot of air while consuming a lot of water? Iíve heard that drinking a lot of water right before and after a meal can lead to bloat but not just plain drinking water.
Yes, I'm sorry. That's what I meant. Typically (at least when Tyson drinks water really fast) he seems to gulp quite a bit of air. I must have been distracted when typing that. Didn't mean for any confusion!

Old 29th December 2004, 08:37 AM
Boxer Booster

so yesterday i tried everyone's advice and i let ganey drink for a couple of seconds and then i took the water away, and then a couple of minutes later, i let him drink so more. the problem is that he ALWAYS wants to drink water. when i put the bowl in the sink, he tries to get on the counter to get the bowl... and now, he is trying to drink the toilet water. Im guess my question is: how much water should he be drinking??? and is there a time when i should take it up at night?

Old 29th December 2004, 08:45 AM
Boxer Insane

It is likely that it is just a habitual thing, but I wonder if you've thought of mentioning it to your vet? Drinking excessive amounts of water can be a sign of kidney problems, especially if he's also peeing a lot.

If he doesn't pee much, then more likely it's a habit/fixation for him. I'd go with the suggestion of getting more water content into his food.

Old 29th December 2004, 09:18 AM
Boxer Booster

we feed dagney canidae and we already put some water mixed with his kibble. i have a vet appointment for our other puppy next week, so i'll ask her about the drinking to see if he needs any tests.

Old 29th December 2004, 09:24 AM
Boxer Booster

I always count Buster's drinks. When he goes down the 4th time, I tell him to stop. He usually walks around a bit, then goes back for another drink. This has really helped me with the water pukes...

Even if I'm in the back of the house and hear him in there, I can yell for him to slow down or stop and he backs off and rests a minute.
Sophie-7 yr old Shih Tzu