Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 4th November 2004, 02:52 AM
Boxer Pal

Question Swollen jowls and lumps

Can anybody please help, we noticed this morning that Oscar has swollen jowls, a swollen eye and lumps (like very severe insect bites) all over his back and hind legs. He still has a healthy appetite and is still very lively. We took him to the vet but all he gave him was an eye ointment and Metacam for the swelling. The vet was at a loss as to what has caused this sudden outbreak. We would be grateful if anybody has any suggestions as to what is happening and any treatments.

Steve and Rita.
Sponsored Links

Old 4th November 2004, 11:55 AM
Reasonable Moderator

It sounds like hives and would suspect that it's caused by an insect bite. I would give Benedryl. I hope Oscar is feeling better soon.

Old 4th November 2004, 06:04 PM
Boxer Pal

Same thing happened to my boxer, Molly. Her face just blew up and had hives all over - scary. We went right to the emergency vet and as I reflected, I did remember seeing a wasp near her when we left work. Vet gave her a shot of something, a steroid I think, and told me to get Benadryl. She was back to normal right away after the shot. I bet your Oscar was stung or bitten. Hope that helps.

Old 4th November 2004, 10:06 PM
Boxer Booster

Unhappy What A Scarey Ordeal!!!!

My Rusty has had this happen twice. One Sunday morning, I let Rusty outside, let him back in, and went back to bed. A few minutes later Rusty was bothering me, and, while I knew he did not have to go paty, something was wrong. I freaked when I saw the monster before me, Rusty's eyes were swelled shut, his face was twice its size, and he was covered with hives everywhere. Plus, he was having trouble breathing. I called the emergency vet, and they gave him a steroid shot, plus benadry and prednisone to take down the swelling. A few months later, it happened again. Again, Rusty could not breathe very well, so back we went to the vet. Again, we got a steroid shot, some benadryl, and some prednisone. The vet did not know what caused the outbreak, only that it was a very SEVERE allergic reaction to something. Now, I always have prednisone 20mg around just in case. It happened again when I was not at home, I told the dog sitter to give the prednisone, two 20mg tablets right away, and it worked. This IS very serious. A full blown allergic reaction can lead to shock, and ultimately, death. Rusty had trouble breathing, had he been home alone, he could have died. Now I make sure to watch for the signs: they usually happen within the first half hour or so, and when I see hives appearing, I give him the prednisone and benadryl. You need to get some prednisone from your vet. Depending on your dog's allergic response, the pred will stop the reaction from going any further.

I am not trying to alarm you, I only know that Rusty's allergic response is very drastic. Mabye your baby did not get this bad, but it is good to have the meds on hand, just in case. I still to this day do not know what causes the reaction, it has been almost a year since it has happened again, but I am always ready if it does.

Old 5th November 2004, 07:04 AM
Boxer Pal

Smile

Well, we gave him some Benadryl and this has worked great. Thanks everybody. The only side effect was he had a wonderful nights sleep. He was still groggy 15 hours later!!! At least he didnt come into the bedroom at six o'clock this morning and wake us up by licking our faces.

Old 5th November 2004, 10:45 AM
Reasonable Moderator

I'm glad to hear the Oscar is feeling better.

Old 5th November 2004, 12:13 PM
Boxer Buddy

I'm glad Oscar is back to normal. The same thing happened to Deuce and the vet also said to give Benadryl. He said if we wanted to speed up the process, he could give him a shot of cortisone but we opted not to do that. The hives almost completely went away and then came back a couple times over the course of 2 or 3 days and we just kept up on small doses of Benadryl. It did make him drowsy, though -- poor guy fell asleep sitting up with his head resting on the coffee table

Old 5th November 2004, 04:07 PM
Boxer Booster

Smile

One quick word of advice, it may not be necessary to take your boxer to the vet or give them any medication when this happens - there face, jowls, eyes swell. We have paid many visits to the vet for this reason and have been told the same thing. It is likely to be an insect bite/sting or prick from cacti that has triggered it. Just look out for increasing swelling against diminshing swelling (obviously) & any swelling around the nose/throat area. Antibiotics can be good for the dog but if it is common it is highly likely that swelling will just fade. Look at their personality the vet says, if they look fine & happy and can breathe and swallow normally there is no emergency - UNLESS swelling does not lessen!
With 'hives/spots' over the skin I was asked by the vet when we visited.."If she was a long haired dog, you would not see anything wrong at all would u?!"

...boxers are mischief & we like to believe they'll never do it twice but they do!