Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 21st October 2004, 05:47 AM
Boxer Pal

Question Can the runt be a healthy dog ?

I will be getting my puppy in 2-3 weeks and she is the runt of the litter. Born 2 hrs after the others , smaller than the others, but just as peppy. Another poster got me worried because she said that there is a health problem with the runt of the litter. Is this true? Does anyone else have runts who are now big healthy dogs? I am very nervous because this is our first puppy and I fell in love with her the first time I saw her. There are 8 puppies but she stood out to me and came right to me. Any advice will be very appreciated. I do not want to make the wrong decision.

Thanx,

Ria
Sponsored Links

Old 21st October 2004, 05:55 AM
Boxer Booster

Runt

My beloved Mack, now at the bridge, was a runt. He lived to be 13 years old, had a perfect personality.
Mack 7/15/1990 - 7/23/2003

Old 21st October 2004, 06:33 AM
Boxer Pal

Smile I'm no expert but.......

I've known a lot of people who have had runts & they turned out to be very strong & healthy dogs so I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck!

Old 21st October 2004, 07:12 AM
Super Boxer

My Boomer was the runt of the litter of 9 pups. My sister got the biggest pup out of the same litter (Tonka). Boomer now weighs about 10-15 lbs more than Tonka, has trained a whole lot better, has an overall better diposition, and is a whole lot more solidly built than hers. Not that Tonka isn't cute, but, of course, MY Boom-man is cuter! I've spoken w/the breeder and she says based on what the other owners say about their dogs, Boomer is probably one of the bigger stockier dogs.

Old 21st October 2004, 07:17 AM
Boxer Pal

Talking Runt

My Angel is the runt of the litter. She is 30 lbs and is already 5 months old. she is so sweet and wonderful and healthy!! She is very muscular just shorter. Our friend has her brother (you can see them in my picture gallery) and he is much larger than her now. Runts are the cutest!!!

Old 21st October 2004, 07:24 AM
Boxer Insane

As long as the breeder is reputable and does health testing, I see no reason why you shouldn't choose the runt. We similarly chose the runt (or rather she chose us) and she has the sweetest temperment - we couldn't be happier! Do keep us posted - Cathy

Old 21st October 2004, 08:06 AM
Boxer Pal

Smile Thank you

Thank you, Thank you all !!!!! I feel much better. I fell in love with this little baby who I can not wait to come home. I also talked to my vet and he said the same as all of you. The breeder has had all the pups checked out and they are all healthy. I am so glad that I joined bw thank you all for being there. I will keep you all posted.

Hugs

Ria

Old 21st October 2004, 08:44 AM
BW Adviser

Actually a true runt many times does have health problems, BUT, most small ones are simply just the small one of the litter. I have never had a true runt in any of my litters, but have had many smaller pups. They do great and usually just need to get away from the bigger pigs in the litter.

So don't worry, all should be fine.

Old 21st October 2004, 09:46 AM
Super Boxer

Cheryl-
What makes a "true runt"? I guess I always thought the runt WAS just the smallest in the litter.

Old 21st October 2004, 10:05 AM
Boxer Insane

Maybe she was referring to littermates that are born smaller due to congenital defects, rather than from over crowding. - Cathy

Old 21st October 2004, 04:38 PM
Boxer Booster

Runt or the smallest is good question?

My Max was the smallest of the litter and he grew to be just as large as the rest of his syblings. You can see he and his brothers Bodie and Zeus in my photo gallery.

Of my brindles Paige and Zeplin were the largest of the litter but they didn`t grow to be the largest once they reached adulthood. In fact the smallest of the litter now weights just as much as her sister Paige and is in comparison the same height. Zeplin was the largest male of the litter and turned out to be the shortest of the males (but he stayed more square bodied than they did).

Old 22nd October 2004, 02:09 PM
Boxer Insane

"Runt of the litter" went from being a livestock term referring to the baby animal that had the least chance of surviving to adulthood because of genuine issues aside from mere size to being a jokey term for the smallest person in the family, etc.

A literal "runt" in dog terms would be something like a puppy who had genuine development problems. The puppy that isn't growing, that isn't reaching the basic developmental milestones (eyes opening, crawling, nursing, standing, walking, etc) with any kind of regular pattern. Maybe it can be coaxed and babied into eventually being okay, but maybe not. Something's actually WRONG with it.

Reaching the milestones a day or two behind other puppies is sometimes just a fluke, and that baby winds up being the biggest of all the pups, perfectly happy and healthy and smart. In fact, most of the time that's the case.

The original poster indicates that her puppy is just as active as the others. If she's eating and pooping and peeing and making mischief, all the while making steady gains in size and weight, you don't have much cause for concern.

If the difference in size becomes more pronounced in the weeks to come, or she doesn't enter some new developmental phase, then it's worth checking out to make sure she's physically fine.