Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 27th September 2004, 10:39 AM
Boxer Buddy

New Puppy, not eating much, throwing up, dry nose?

I just got my boxer pup 2 days ago, Duke. On the ride home, he trew up in the car. I figured that was probably motion sickness and nothing to worry about. Then I got him home and everything seemed ok, he didn't eat or drink anything though for the rest of the night, then the next day he didn't throw up or anything at all, but he didn't really eat much at all, just a few bites 2 times, then I mixed in some cottage cheese and he ate quite a bit of that. The rest of the day he seemed ok. However, he was and has been sleeping alot, most of the day. I don't know if this is normal or not? Then today, I wanted him to eat something and he wasn't eating the hard food that the breeder gave me, so I went to Kroger and got some softer food and mixed it with some new dog food. Just before I went to Kroger I tried the cottage cheese and dog food mix that I did last night and he trew up. Then after I got back with the other food, he liked some of the softer food that I got and ate some of that, then he threw that up 3 times! I am worried. I called the breeder and she is contacting the vet. She said that doesn't sound right and wants me to bring him back if he doesn't get better. I don't know what to think. I am thinking that I should take him to the vet. The breeder just called and said the vet said that it was most probably that he was in a different place. This is what my initial thought was, but it just seems so strange. Does anyone have any ideas here I am getting awefully worried!

Also, his nose is dry, I don't know if this is a sign of dehydration or not. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks for your help!
Jacob

Last edited by oojacoboo; 27th September 2004 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links

Old 27th September 2004, 10:51 AM
Elusive Moderator

I would take him along to a vet. It could possibly just be the change in environment and food that's got his system upset, but it could equally be something like kennel cough, or even parvo. With a baby pup it is better to be safe than sorry. No disrespect to your breeder's vet, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a diagnosis by phone - especially when the info given to the vet is second-hand.

Old 27th September 2004, 10:58 AM
Reasonable Moderator

It is probably just a case of being in a new place. Puppies though can get dehydrated very quickly. Is He drinking okay? If he's not I would take him to the vet and have him checked out. It is better safe than sorry.

Hopefully he will start to eat soon.

Old 27th September 2004, 11:05 AM
Boxer Buddy

Water

I am having a hard time getting him to drink much water. I have tried splashing water on my hands and then he will lick it off, but I can't get him to drink the water fromt he bowl anymore really. He is really tired now, I guess b/c he has thrown up everything in his stomach.

I know that I should take him to the vet, I don't have the most money in the world and I hate to get a really expensive bill for something that I am over-exagerating. Also, I just got the pup from the breeder, wouldn't this be their responsibility?

The breeder just called me and said that it might be the raw hide that she gave me. he did start chewing on that last night and this afternoon, but he didn't' throw up until this morning. Could this be the reason?

Last edited by oojacoboo; 27th September 2004 at 11:10 AM.

Old 27th September 2004, 11:23 AM
Reasonable Moderator

You could try squirting water into the mouth from a spray bottle, He may drink from that. Cook up some oatmeal and chopped up chicken breast and try feeding that. Cook it until it's quite mushy. He will probably eat that.

A dry nose is perfectly normal. It's a myth that dogs noses are always damp.

You should always take a puppy to the vet when you get them ,for a health check. You want to make sure that you have a healthy puppy! Did the breeder quarantee a healthy puppy free from genetic defects? It does sound like you have a responsible breeder. Is the breeder near you?

Good luck with your puppy.

Old 27th September 2004, 11:28 AM
Boxer Insane

I would caution against ever giving your pup a rawhide. When you have a "sane" moment (sounds like you have your halnds full now with a young pup), do a search on "rawhide" and you will find many posts about the hazards of rawhides. They are great in that they give the dog something to keep him/herself occupied, but there are associated potential health hazards.