Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 26th July 2004, 03:22 PM
Boxer Pal
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 13

I everyone. I am new here. I am a proud owner of an 8 yr old Boxer named Madison. We also had a Pit Bull named Kozmo which we just lost in Feb of this year to liver and kidney disease.

3 weeks ago I found a lump on Madison's front left leg. The vet removed it on July 12th. Today Madison went in to get the stitches removed and to hear the results.

The tumor on Madison's leg is called a neurofibrosarcoma (nerve sheath tumor). It is malignant and the margins were clean except for 1 focus that was dirty. Which means she has a malignant cancer that wasn't removed all the way.

Madison's vet has removed lots of nerve sheath tumors but they were all benign and Madison was her first malignant one. The benign ones are locally invasive which meant she had to amputate the limb to cure the cancer. In Madison's case where the tumor was malignant could mean that it has already traveled. Usually malignant sarcoma's travel fast and the fact that it's a nerve sheath tumor means that all nerves are connected and this could be traveling her body.

These tumors are not sensitive to chemo or radiation so those are not an option. The vet thinks we should wait and see if it comes back and then go from there. I just feel this wait and see could be a wrong move as the earlier the better with cancer KWIM!

I had her check all the bumps around her incision and she felt they were just irritation from the razors when they shaved her hair for the surgery. I'm not to sure about that as her surgery was July 12 (15 days ago). When you shave and get a razor rash it's usually right after shaving right! So I went with her suggestion of putting cortizone on it and see if that helps. She did notice that Madison's lymph nodes in her neck were swollen but that could be just because she's prone to allergies and they are doing their job of fighting it off. She thinks the lymph nodes in her arm pits would swell first if the cancer from that leg spreads.

I just feel so helpless. I wish that the vet could do an x-ray to see if it's any where else but she feels the nerve sheath tumors would not show up on the x-ray.

I asked for time frames for when a malignant tumor can come back and she didn't know. She also didn't know if it has traveled or if it is traveling and how fast it can go etc. I asked if the lab graded the tumor and they didn't. She wished they had cause that could tell us a rate of how fast this is growing etc.

So I guess we are in a waiting pattern until something happens. I hate it! So I'm going to make the most of our time together and treat everyday like it's her last. Why can't they stay with you forever?

Have any of you had any expierence with this type of cancer? What was the outcome, time frame etc.?
Sponsored Links

Old 26th July 2004, 03:55 PM
Boxer Booster
Join Date: May 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 208
Sorry to hear of your ordeal but I have kindof gotten a lot of the same things from vets just being unsure. If you are in question, maybe consider taking her to another vet hospital for consultation and see if they can tell you anything else about the disease/what to expect/and yet maybe other options your first vet didn`t clinch on.

Wouldn`t hurt to have another opinion! Until then you and your baby are in my thoughts and prayers hopeing for many more years together.

Old 27th July 2004, 05:04 AM
Boxer Pal
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 13
Thanks Barb B!