Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 13th July 2004, 03:50 PM
Boxer Pal

Question signs of pregnancy?

hi, i have a 1 year old female boxer that is currently being trained to be a show dog and about a month ago my friend brought over here male boxer. He had just gotten altered a couple of days before my friend brought him over. Not knowing that males are still fertile up to 3 weeks after they get altered, i didn't think anything of it. At the time my female was in her first heat. while we were in the house the two got tied. I am thinking that she is pregnant now. Her teets are swollen and her virgina is getting more swollen. I have noticed that she is acting really lazy and is being really loving and looking for attention, which she is usually isn't. she is getting a liitle bigger around her adobmen. I know she is too young to have puppies but accidents happen. I was wondering if anyone would give adivce on if she was pregnant or not or if it is possible that she is just matureing. I don't want a lecture on how i should have her altered because she can't be if i want to show her.
Sponsored Links

Old 13th July 2004, 06:16 PM
Elusive Moderator

Most likely she is pregnant Possibly it is just a false pregnancy. You should consult a vet asap to confirm it one way or the other.
If she is pregnant, that leaves you with a rather large problem. You're quite right that a 12 month old puppy is way too young to be having a litter. Not just because she's too young to have had any health testing done, but because she's physically (and mentally) too immature. Having the puppies poses quite some threat to her health, and even if she does whelp successfully, I'm not sure what sort of a show dog you're likely to have afterward. Personally, I'd be inclined to abort the litter (if that's even an option a month after the event). I think the best option is to consult a vet immediately to see what options are available, including having her spayed if that is the only way to terminate her pregnancy. IMO it's not fair to risk her health/life by continuing, if there is another option.

Old 13th July 2004, 08:29 PM
Boxer Insane

I hope she is exhibiting a fake pregnancy Also how is your male doing? I read your other posts about him being monorchid?

Old 14th July 2004, 10:11 AM
Boxer Insane

Definitely get her to the vet for an exam - there's really no way to be sure if she's pregnant without it. False pregnancies can mimic the signs of pregnancy, as can pyometra. (Pyo is not common in a female that young but not unheard of.) I would strongly suggest finding a vet who is also a breeder, if possible (of any breed, really), I've found that they're better equipped to evaluate the entire situation and advise accordingly. I'd also suggest, if you opt to continue the pregnancy, that you find an experienced Boxer breeder nearby to guide you through the pregnancy and whelping (I don't know if your girl's breeder is close, they'd be the likely choice if so). There are risks to any pregnancy and they are increased in a bitch this young - someone who has been through several whelpings and can keep a cool head will be an invaluable resource. You might also consider the WhelpWise system as it will let you know if the bitch is in trouble before you'd see any outward signs - www.whelpwise.com

Old 14th July 2004, 11:13 AM
Boxer Pal

thank you so much for the advice. i have a appointment for the vet in a couple of days. Hopefully it is just a false alarm. unfortunely my breeder does live close by. she is about 400 miles away. but i have some experience in whelping. I know the signs of of hard labor and if there is any problems ariseing. so hopefully things go alright if she is pregnant. Our male is doing good. We had him altered and we gave him to a loving family. we ended up getting another male which has two testicles. he starts his training in a couple of weeks.

Old 14th July 2004, 12:29 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula's Moms
Ok, so I just read all of your posts, and I'm not usually one to point fingers, but you're coming off an awful lot like a BYB.
I don't want to sound preachy, but if anyone who asks a question gets accused of being a BYB, how will anyone ever learn? Experienced, responsible breeders weren't born with knowledge and experience. They all start at the bottom and have to ask questions to learn (ideally learning as much as possible before actually breeding, but the "experience" part doesn't come into play until it's actually done). I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this - the poster is trying to get into showing - not many BYBs spend the time, money, and effort to do that.

And as far as the previous posts about breeding the dog with one testicle, I personally don't see anything alarming about asking a question, considering the responses, and then making the correct choice of having the dog neutered. Alarming in my book would be not asking the question at all or ignoring the information that is available. I just see someone taking the time to become educated on the topic so he/she is able to make the correct choice.

Last edited by VTbxrFan; 14th July 2004 at 12:37 PM.

Old 14th July 2004, 12:56 PM
Boxer Insane

Well, if you truly did not know a just been neutered male could breed, than who is to jump on you for that? You didn't know.
As said above there are risks to breeding a dog of any age but more so with a young dog.
So, hopefully it is just false... and you can go on with your plans to show her and keep her safe away from the boys until she has proven herself in the ring and with her health testing. Good luck with it all.

Yes, you were correct in neutering the boxer boy with only one testicle.

I have to second everything VTbxrFan said.
You must learn first and as far as what I know, you seem to want to do breeding the right way... most BYB don't care to show and prove their dogs conformation.

Once again, good luck and let us know how everything works out.
If you have anymore questions, please ask... we will try to be of what help we can. (and with some experienced showing and boxer breeding people on the board, that should help a good bit).

Old 14th July 2004, 02:28 PM
Boxer Insane

I should mention that it's really not a good idea to leave a neutered-years-ago male unattended with a bitch in season - some neutered males will still tie a bitch, others may just be curious, and bitches are sometimes not expecially happy to be the object of so much interest. One or both of them could be severely injured.

Old 14th July 2004, 02:36 PM
Energetic Moderator

Wow - talking about learning something new Julie!

I had no idea that a years-ago-neutered male could still pose a problem. Thankfully, both of my dogs are fixed -- but my male rescue was recently neutered (a few months ago) and I never realized that he could still "show interest" (at minimum) around a female in season...

Courtney

Old 14th July 2004, 04:01 PM
Boxer Insane

I also had no idea that a male that has been neutered long ago could still be an issue. Learn something new everyday.

Yes, I would have to agree that keeping an unaltered female and male in the same house spells disaster. But from what I got out of the persons post was the unaltered female was hers and the just been neutered male was just visiting her home. And the poster (like probably many people) had no idea a just been neutered male could even get her bitch pregnant.

Old 20th July 2004, 09:43 AM
Boxer Pal

Talking

well good news everyone it was just a false alarm, she isn't pregnant. yeah! Thank you everyone for the advice.

Old 20th July 2004, 09:49 AM
Boxer Booster

That's great. Good news and hopefully evreything works out in the show ring. Good luck!