Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 13th July 2004, 10:01 AM
Boxer Pal

Red face Have you used PPA or Proin for incontinence?

I need your help. We rescued our little girl boxer Princess Lea who is between the ages of 8-10 almost five months ago. She was diaginosed with breast cancer that we found out it had spread to a mass pushing on her heart. They gave her a month to live and that was three and a half months ago. She has put on weight, her coat is shiny and she is a happy and oh so loving dog. Since we have had her from day one she had chronic bladder infections. Her bladder would just leak out during the day. We cleared it up twice and now she still has the same issue of a leaking bladder. Her vet saw her yesterday and she is clear of infection. Our vet wanted to treat her for incontinence.

She gave Princess Lea a prescription for PPA, 50mg one per night. She is also on Soloxine 0.3mg, 2 times a day. Well we gave her the first pill last night and we thought she was going to die. Thirty minutes after we gave her the pill she woke up at 10pm and starting panting very fast, her heart was racing, her eyes we bugged out and she was restless. For the next four hours she acted like she was running full speed down around the block, non-stop. She never acted like this even after we have taken her for a walk. We are very scared and want to know from our fellow boxer owners if they have every seen this, or if this is normal for this drug.

Our vet said it's ok, but we don't want our P.L. stressing her little body out, especially at night when she should be resting. Since she has cancer and we are not sure how much time she may have, we want her to have dignity in regards to keeping herself clean of urine, but we also do not want to stress out her immune system.......any feedback or recommendations for other med's that have worked for incontinence?? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links

Old 13th July 2004, 12:32 PM
Boxer Pal

Proin

Our female, Molly, takes Proin twice a day for incontinence. Poor thing would pee in her sleep before the medication. She's never had any reaction to the drug. However, our pup, a boxer mix named Roxie, snatched the pill one day after taking Benadryl for an allergic reaction. The combination did exactly opposite of what you described - her heart rate dropped - and we had to rush her to the emergency vet clinic that night.

Since you're concerned with her reaction to the drug (and it doesn't seem normal to me!), I'd seek a second opinion or see what you can locate on the web regarding contraindictions between the two drugs.

Good luck!

Old 13th July 2004, 01:21 PM
Boxer Booster

Proin

Our dog was also on proin for incontinence. We only had to give her 1/2 a pill a day. She use to just leak out and wet while she was sleeping prior to the proin. She never had a problem after that. She didn't have any reaction, however. I'd also ask another vet what they think as that doesn't seem normal to me. Good luck!

Old 13th July 2004, 01:24 PM
Boxer Pal

pronin

Thank you for your reply.....we really appreciate it.

Old 13th July 2004, 01:45 PM
Boxer Pal

Proin

Thank you....we just got back and the vet reduced her down to 25mg = 1/2 pill in the am with food. We hope this will help her....we want her to be able to rest too.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 13th July 2004, 05:18 PM
Boxer Buddy

Funny you ask this - i just got back from the vet with a bottle of Proin. My male boxer (yes, I called the vet to make sure this was right, after reading on here of everyone using it to treat spay incontinence) has issues keeping the valve closed. We'll see how it works. It looks like the dosage is 50mg twice daily.

Old 13th July 2004, 08:18 PM
Boxer Insane

We have my girls (yes both of them) on DES. It has worked great for them. They thing I would worry about would it make the cancer grow faster since it is kind of like hormones???? Baylee had a ruptured bladder and now has incontinence from it, and Brandy has spay incontinence that is why they are both on it one pill (?mg) once a week. No problems!

Good Luck,

Jaimie