Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2004, 11:23 AM
Boxer Pal

Question Help needed, puppy vaginitis problem - long

My wife and I recently got a female Boxer puppy named Roxi (fawn, black mask). A week or two after bringing her home, we noticed a yellow discharge coming out after she urinated each time. In addition, she began having to urinate almost continually. We took her to the vet and they said she had a severe bladder infection and was put on a full cycle of clauvomax. She seemed to get better for a little while, but soon after, the discharge came back and the urination frequency increased again. We took her back to the same vet and they put her on another cycle of a different antibiotic (can't remember the name). Again, she seemed to get a little better, but then got worse after the antibiotic was gone. I took her to another vet who tested her urine for infection and found no infection in her bladder. Instead, she diagnosed her with puppy vaginitis and put her on yet another antibiotic to see if it helped. She consulted several of her colleagues and presented the following scenario. She said that vaginitis on Boxers can be extremely difficult to cure with medicine (the most effective medicine can't be used to due potential growth defects on Boxers) and that it typically goes away on its own after the dog goes through her first cycle. We are left with two options: if we wait until she goes through her first cycle to get her spayed, it dramatically decreases the likelihood of continued vaginitis problems, but significantly increases the risk of breast cancer later in life. On the other hand if we get her spayed before her first cycle, it increases the likelihood that the vaginitis will be a continuous problem, but it drastically decreases the likelihood of breast cancer. Needless to say, neither option is ideal. Has anyone had any experience with or know anything about puppy vaginitis on Boxers? I want to do what's best for my girl, but am struggling with what that is. Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links

Old 25th May 2004, 11:59 AM
Boxer Pal

My Boxer has had that problem too. My vet said it was vagintis too. I got her spayed before her first heat cycle. She still has that yellow discharge after she urinates. I don't have any advice though. I'm sorry. Good luck.

Old 25th May 2004, 12:24 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

When Jesse was a puppy she use to have discharge also. My vet never told me what it was but said to use baby wipes on her when she came inside after doing her business. I did and it did not take too long before the discharge stopped. It may not have been vaginitis though since he did not tell me or give her medicine for it.

Old 25th May 2004, 01:01 PM
Boxer Buddy

I have a female boxer all so and her name is Lucy. I noticed the yellowish color all so with her and wondered what was happening. I did take her to the vet and they didn't say much, But then of course she was at the beginning her cycle. She came in heat around 8 1/2 months. I just had her spayed a week ago. So I hope that this all clears up, I will watch her close. If it stays around, I will get her back in to the vets. Tami

Old 25th May 2004, 01:06 PM
Boxer Insane

I would opt for letting her have a season (provided you carefully monitor her at all times to prevent her being bred). It's a common enough problem that yes, there does seem to be lots of evidence that having a season helps solve it.

The mammary cancer connection with spaying is clear. It's something like close to 100% prevention if done before the first season, 50% after one season but before a second, and then progressively less effective each season after that.

To put it in perspective for you, however, I will point to the hundreds/thousands of show bitches over the years who aren't spayed until they're 5-8 years old, or even never (if by the time they're to be spayed they're showing other health issues) and who never develop mammary cancer. Mind you, I don't know if having puppies reduces the rate, as reproductive status does matter in human women.

You're balancing the risk of eventually having one problem against the certainty of the problem you already have, which is distressing for you and probably painful for the bitch. Extended use of antibiotics won't be good for her health in the long run either.

Taking that into consideration, I think a season is the most natural and reasonable course to take in this particular case. I certainly do demand spaying on my pet puppies otherwise, but this seems like a totally reasonable course to take for you and this girl.

Good luck with her. If you can contact her breeder you may be able to find out when to expect her first season. The bitches in my line typically don't start until 15-18 mos, so you could have some waiting to do.

Kathy Saxon
Daisax Boxers

Old 25th May 2004, 01:48 PM
Boxer Insane

I have had this problem a lot of times with Baylee from the day I got her until her bladder ruptured. That was another problem all together though. But, I was told to give her a douche-didn't do that-do you blame me or her? Anyway, I would just get her fixed before her cycle from what I have found I got Brandy fixed and she doesn't have vaginitis but does have spay incontinence. But, I got Baylee fixed and the vaginitis started. Go figure? From what I have heard & dealt with it is common in boxers Baylee used to come in from outside and would be running like a bat outta hell with a big (sorry if TMI here) string of fishy smelling yellowish mucous hanging outta her! It was gross but I just wiped her off everytime she came in from outside. We are to the point now that she doesn't have that problem anymore. I don'y know if maybe she grew out of it or when she had her bladder repaired all the antibiotics got rid of it.

Good Luck,

Jaimie

Old 25th May 2004, 07:51 PM
Super Boxer

My Daisy is now a year old and was spayed when she was 6 months old. I noticed the discharge right around 9 months, the vet told me that it was vaginitis but not to worry about it. He also said if it doesnt clear up on its own in a couple of weeks then put her on antibiotics. Within a couple of weeks she was completely cleared up.

From what I understand it is a common problem in female dogs. Good Luck