Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2004, 08:27 AM
Boxer Pal

Question How long to cure Demodectic mange?

We found out that Daysi has Demodectic mange and we are giving her .08 of Ivomectrin daily since May 1 - the vet said to give it to her once a day and come back in a month. She is loosing all of her hair - it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

How long does it take to see a difference? We are going to have a baldie soon!

Help!
Thank you!
Sponsored Links

Old 17th May 2004, 08:46 AM
Boxer Pal

I don't know if it differs between breeds, but I had a lab with demo mange. They look worse before they get better. She started to look a little better after about 2 months. It took a long time for all of her hair to grow back. She had a relaps a few months later after her sister was killed by a car. She was depressed and I think it weakend her immune system. She recovered again and is as good as new.

Hang in there - your baby will be covered in hair in no time.

Old 17th May 2004, 01:28 PM
Boxer Pal

Both Levi (now 8 mos) and Zoe (now 5 mos) developed Demodex flair-up when they were both around 4-4 1/2 months old, when both started teething. Our vet told us that stress could trigger an outbreak, which does appear to be the case with Levi. Levi is over his outbreak and has his perfect coat back . Zoe, being 3 mos younger is a different story, hers is confined to one small area but is persistent. Goodwinall ointment was prescribed for both of them, I can't say if that is what helped clear it up or just getting through teething.

Old 17th May 2004, 01:42 PM
Super Boxer

You may want to at least look into taking an alternative approach to the medication. I've only had experience with Mitaban, which I think has been banned here in my local area.

My dog, Ozzie, had a very minor case of mange about a year or so ago. We did some mitaban topical treatments, but I don't think they did anything....at all...I think he just grew out of that stage.

The alternative approach would be to try to boost your dog's immune system. There are numerous products on the market; I would tend to go for the more holistic products. You may want to do a search in this forum regarding immune systems.

Good luck to you; I'm sure Daysi will grow out of this!

Bob.

Old 17th May 2004, 01:47 PM
Reasonable Moderator

It can often take a few months before it gets better and it almost always gets worst first. Some dogs with generalized demodex do go completely bald before they start to grow their hair back. Make sure you put suncrenn on the bald patches before they spend much time in the sun.

Mange is often caused by a low immune system so look for ways to boost your pups immune system. Vitamin C, & echinachea etc. I would do a search on "immune system" and "demodetic Mange" and your will finds lots of other posts on the subjects.

Jan

Old 17th May 2004, 03:00 PM
Boxer Buddy

My lab went through this too after surgery. We also used Ivomectrin to treat it as our vet said that it was the most aggressive way to wipe out the problem. It took Abby about a good 4 weeks before she stopped developing "new" spots and hair growth came back after 6 weeks. She stayed on it overall about 8 weeks. My vet is great and knew how expensive it was going to be to treat that long. He told me to buy the meds at a feed and seed (it is what they give cows to prevent heart worms) and I just followed his schedule for doses. he also told me that the dips had been taken off the market but that he had mixed results with them. Overall, he has had the most success with the Ivomectrin. Hang in there!!!! It will get better.
OH...He also said that I could give Abby sardines with her dry food because it has fish oils that increase immune system functioning.
Good Luck
Tara, Maggie & Abby

Old 18th May 2004, 07:10 AM
Super Boxer

So you all are telling me that mt baby, who looks like she is suffering from radiation poisoning) will get worse??? How CAN she? She is already covered in spots! She is weepy and oozing all over the place. I cant leave her crated for months. I was under the impression that she will look better in 14-21 days. Thats how long the vet said to give her the ivermectin. She is taking .6 everyday. I have researched Demodex and saw pics of dogs seven days later that looked like different dogs. Im PRAYING that this is Shotzes case. I dont know if Ill last for months with this. I am not eatting now because im so depressed. I dont know if anyone understands this or not. Im not getting rid of her no matter what, but I sure hope she clears up and gets back to acting normal soon. With all these open wounds im afraid she is going to get an infection. Maybe she is already "the worse" and can only get better. OI! Gotta love BYB! GRRRRRRR!

Old 18th May 2004, 01:42 PM
Boxer Buddy

Your poor baby...we got lucky at caught abby's early..she just had one spot on her head and one on her leg. we started the ivermectin and noticed new spots for a couple of weeks. The new spots stopped but it took a while for her new hair to grow back (between 6wks and 8wks). My vet extended her time on meds at 4 wks to another month. He had hoped that he would see more hair growth at 4wks then he did. So i'm guessing that most dogs do respond at 4 weeks so you probably will see results!!! It is 6 months later now and there are no signs that she ever had it, hang in there!!! Im sure your baby will get better fast. Im sending hugs to you both