Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2004, 12:26 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Boxer Bald Spots?

Hi
My boy Bridger is 3 and now has bald spots on both sides near his hips. Vet did blood test but that showed no real problems, thyroid is in the low normal range but we are on thyroid pills now to see if it helps. Have any of your babies developed bald spots? if so what was the reason and the cure?
Other than the baldness he is great shape. Maybe a little spoiled but who could resist those sweet looks
Any Ideas? Thanks
Bobbie1
Sponsored Links

Old 21st April 2004, 12:44 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Well, I'll be darned! I have an appointment with the vet on Saturday because two of my boxers have developed bald spots on their hips. They're just small spots right now, but it's just so odd that they're in the exact same spot on both dogs.

I'll update the post when I get a diagnosis from my vet. Good luck, I do hope it isn't anything serious. We did recently change foods to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, so I keep thinking maybe there's something there, I just don't know for sure yet.

Sharon

Old 21st April 2004, 12:50 PM
Super Boxer

Seasonal alopecia or demodetic mange come to mind, although bald spots on the hips is not necessarily consistent with bald spots on the flanks.

I would do a search in this forum.

Bob.

Old 21st April 2004, 05:23 PM
Boxer Booster

Same here! We have the exact same problem w/ one of our boxers but it's only on one hip. The skin looks dark underneath. We tried using the Sea meal powder w/ his meals thinking it would help his coat but it did nothing for the bald spot.

We haven't taken him in yet because we thought it may be Seasonal alopecia as well since he is eating and being himself. We are going for a heartworm check pretty soon so it definately will be brought up at that time.

Old 22nd April 2004, 10:58 PM
Boxer Booster

When our boxer had bald spots we took her to the vet, he did skin scrapes, and sure enough, she had localized demodectic mange. Has your vet done a skin scrape?

Old 26th April 2004, 07:41 PM
Boxer Pal

Good idea as to problem

My older boxer had exactly the same problem. Losing hair on back on each side of spine close to his hips. It happened last year around spring for the first time and I was worried. We took him to our vet who did EVERY test he could think of, including a skin biopsy. The diagnosis was "Canine Flank Alopecia". Basically, he's shedding his winter coat, and the new hair isn't growning fast enough to cover the spot. His hair grew back just fine, and he's getting bald now again, only the spot is larger this year. My suggestion would be to have a vet look at him to be sure, but I feel bad that I put my buddy through the pain of a biopsy for no reason. Hope that helps...

Paul

Old 28th April 2004, 03:23 AM
Boxer Pal

Question Lgardner

Hi, I guess everyone is having this same problem. I have a female fawn and white boxer that is about 3 years old and she has just starting losing hair on both sides of her hips. My wife and I aren't sure what to do, should we just wait a little longer for the hair to grow back or take her to the vet? My girl is pretty and I hate looking at those brown spots o n her hips. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 28th April 2004, 05:43 AM
Boxer Booster

When Sunny was about a year old, she had the same bald spots..dark skin underneath. I brought her to the vet and he did all sorts of tests on her and skin scrappings. He then consulted with a dog dermatologist friend of his and the outcome was alopecia. It is very common in Boxers and Bulldogs. And the hair does grow back. It takes time but it will come back as beautiful as ever.

Old 28th April 2004, 11:56 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I would have the pup checked by a vet, just to be sure, but more than likely it's going to be seasonal alopecia. My fawn female had bald spots on her hips last year and it's starting again this year.

Tammy, Carson, Madison

Old 4th May 2004, 11:34 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Well, I just thought I'd follow up. I took Booker in for a scrape, no mange, no ringworm. So the only thing I could think of was food. I recently switched to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, and I guess that was a bad move. I switched them back to ProPlan and voila' new hair growth.

Good luck.

Sharon