Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 19th March 2004, 05:49 PM
Boxer Pal

Allergic Reaction

This morning I noticed that Reese' eyes and face started swelling up. I didn't know what was going on or what was causing this, so we called our vet. He gave us Benadryl (25mg) and told us to give it to her 2 times a day for the next few days. He thinks she was probably bit by a spider and had a reaction. Around 5 oclock tonight we noticed that her throat and tongue had swelled up huge...but she was breathing ok. Our normal vet had left for the weekend and we couldn't get ahold of him, so we gave her another benadryl and went to another vet in the area. He pretty much just told us boxers were allergic to everything and gave her a Dexamethasone shot. The swelling has went down...but not totally. To be honest, I am so scared right now. She's acting fine...eating, drinking, playing...but Im just so afraid that it will get worse. It bothers me so much that I don't know what it is from. I have emergency #'s to call just incase she gets really bad or something. Does anyone know how often I can give her the benadryl? The time span I waited before was 7 hours and she was quite bad again by then. Is the vet benadryl the same as human benadryl? Is there any specific symptoms that I should look out for that would signal that something is pretty wrong and I should get her to the ER asap? Any info would be greatly appreciated. The vet I saw tonight (not her normal vet) was very unhelpful and had a horrible bedside manner...and didn't really answer any of my questions.

Jamie & Reese
Sponsored Links

Old 19th March 2004, 06:19 PM
Boxer Insane

Hi Jamee.
snatch had EXACTLY the same symptoms on saturday feb, 28 last month.
We went straight to the ER
the vet gave him 2 shots:
dexamethasone
diphenhydramine

he was real nice and helpful.

he told us that might be a spider bite too.

he told us, next time it happens, give him benedryl, and if the swalling up doesnt ease in an hour, come to the ER.
i'm sorry i cant help you more than that.

but with the shot, your Reese will be just fine.

just a thing: these shots makes the dog drinks more and his bladder control will be bad for a couple of days .. dont get mad at him or dont worry if he pees in his bed tonite or tomorrow. take him out the more you can, ok?

just if the swalling up doesnt ease, bring him back to the Er, ok?

but don't panic.

oh, and if you have any question, just take the yellow book and call any emergency pet clinic

snatch gives him a hug,
and me too.
Chrystel.

Old 19th March 2004, 06:31 PM
Boxer Pal

Thanks for your reply Chrystel...it made me feel a lot better. Vet never told me about the fact that she might drink more or anything like that to look for...I guess that's why he's not my normal vet. We're going to move her crate into our room tonight so I can keep watch over her and give her benadryl if need be. Thanks again for your info...it really eased my worries a lot.

Big Hugs,
Jamie & Reese

Old 19th March 2004, 06:53 PM
Boxer Pal

Bugzy had an allergic reaction 6 months ago and the vet said it was either a bee sting, snake bite, or spider bite. His eyes swelled almost shut and he had hives all over his body. (All of this while I was at Work) Luckily he was with my boyfriend who rushed him to an emergency clinic(lots of $$$ just to walk in the door) because it was on a Saturday afternoon and our vet was closed. He got a shot that cleared up his allergic reaction pretty fast, but by Sunday afternoon/evening he had really bad diarrahea and couldn't hold anything down. It got so bad that by Monday morning he was vomiting the yellow lining. I was sooo scared! We rushed him to the vet early Monday and she said it was either a reaction to the shot or a secondary reaction to whatever caused his allergic reaction. We still do not know exactly what caused either reaction, but are both soo glad Bugzy came out of it okay. He was on like 4 different medicines for 2 weeks and prescription food that was soft on his belly. There isn't anything that we wouldn't do for our Bugzy!

I still don't trust those emergency clinics! My boyfriend was outraged by the treatment Bugzy recievec. He said that they were very abrupt! I like our vet b/c they are never in a rush and take the time to answer any and all questions that you may have. Plus, Bugzy is always very good at the vet, never had a problem taking blood ever. At the ER the lady was rough with him and he yelp after she stuck him. After hearing this, if any other emergencies come up, we will drive the 30 mins in the other direction to the clinic in our neighoring city or if it's a real bad emergency, we will deal with our vet on an emergency basis. She runs an animal hospital, but only comes in after hours for very serious emergencies like car accidents and such!

Old 19th March 2004, 07:43 PM
Boxer Buddy

Trooper had a reaction like that when he was a pup. After palying in some leaves later that night his ears swoll-up so thick and his puckered up in welts from head to toe! He shook himself every couple of minutes b/c he itched so bad. we rushed him to the hospital and they gave us the 25 mg benadryl too. They said to use that. he was fine the next day and never has had another problem. We think he was bitten by something but it is very scary watching them go through something like that. we just followed the directions on the bottle for the kids dosage and would put cold towels on him every once in a while to help relieve the itching. Hugs from Trooper to your baby.
Trooper's Mom.

Old 19th March 2004, 09:50 PM
Boxer Insane

i'm happy my post make you feel better.
snatch slept in his crate that night, but didnt realize he peed. he was all wet by morning and was feeling bad about it.

i hope your baby is feeling much better by now.
tomorrow, he might be tired..

by the way, my vet told me they drink a lot more to evacuate the product from injection

i hope you'll both find better emergency clinics for Reese and Bugzy. Mine by my house is really nice.. and people helpful (even if they charge $$$$$ )

chrystel.

Old 20th March 2004, 08:50 AM
Boxer Pal

This morning all the swelling is gone! Im going to keep giving her the benadryl twice a day just to make sure, and keep a good watch over her. We let her sleep in our room last night (for the first time) and we woke up this morning and couldn't find her anywhere! She crawled under our bed and was sleeping! Im going to stock up on benadryl just in case it happens again...but let hope it doesn't! Thanks for all your help & info.

Jamie & Reese

Old 20th March 2004, 09:13 AM
Boxer Insane

i'm happy for your baby!

i dont think she needs benedryl today.

love,
chrystel.

Old 21st March 2004, 07:37 AM
Super Boxer

Copper is going through the exact same situation right now!
I came home from work Friday evening only to find my big boy covered in hives. fortunately his face/eyes were not swollen and he wasn't experiencing any breathing/drinking difficulty.

So I gave him 25mg benedryl and waited a couple hours. No visible improvement so gave another 25mg. (Copper is about 95 pounds so 50mg is the usual dose for his weight) The hives seemed to settle down, but Sat morning he was all broken out again. I called the emergency vet who advised me that as long as he wasn't showing any signs of discomfort to just give him another 25mg and wait it out, but if he got any worse to bring him in for a shot. The vet also suggested it may be caused by a spider bite or some other sort of insect bite.

Hives went away again after the 25mg but came back later in the evening, and now being Sunday morning he's got them again...not as many as he had before as they seem to be only on one side of his body. I got concerned yesterday that perhaps he's developed an allergy to something in his food, so went to the pet supply store at our vet's office and bought Natural Choice in a chicken/rice/oatmeal formula to replace his usual Nutro Lamb & rice. So feeding him that for a few days to see if the hives go away, and will try him back on his usual brand as a test to see if the hives come back.

If he still shows signs of a reaction tomorrow I'm taking him to see his usual vet. I don't see any need to take him to emergency since he doesnt' show any discomfort or signs of anaphylactic shock. I have an epi pen here for myself, so if anything happens I can give it quickly under veterinary guidance to do so.

I do hope his reaction is from something as simple as a bite. I'd have to put the poor guy through rounds of allergy testing to eliminate the cause.

Wish us luck!!!

Lori
Belle, Copper & Holly
All docked & floppy

Old 22nd March 2004, 05:18 PM
Super Boxer

What is it with boxers and allergic reactions? My Giguere had to be rushed to the hospital on Saturday due to anaphylactic shock brought on by a bug bite or eating a bee (I think). He collapsed and the bumps didn't show up until 1/2-1 hour after the episode. Scared me to death! I've had several episodes with my other boxer but none like this. She had only gotten bumps and had some swelling. Before my boxers I had a Golden Ret. and a Shep/Husky mix and neither of them ever had anything like this and they were outside dogs. Hmmmmm. Then, I forgot about the peeing thing after they gave him the benedryl and the steroids and he peed my bed Sat. night. Ugh! Oh well, not his fault. Stupid me for forgetting that happens.

Jamie, My doctor told me to give him 50 mg. of adult benedryl twice a day. Just so you know for next time. He weighs about 55 pounds. I know how you feel. It is scary. Now I'm afraid to leave Giguere outside by himself. Next time could be fatal.

Old 22nd March 2004, 06:14 PM
Super Boxer

Just to follow up on the benedryl subject....
My vet said the dose is 1 to 2 mg of benedryl per kilogram of body weight.

I was concerned about giving too much and called the emergency vet on the weekend, and turned out I was giving too little. Copper ended up having to take a dose of 75mg before his hives really subsided.

Lori

Old 23rd March 2004, 05:12 AM
Boxer Pal

Thanks for all the info. Im dumbfounded how many of us have had this problem lately! Yesterday morning I let Reese out to go pee, she came back in and layed around for a little while, then ate some. About half and hour later...her eyes are starting to swell shut again! I wish I knew exactly what was casuing this. (spider bite, bug bite, eating a bug, whatever it is!) So our vet had us bring her in so he could look at her, gave her a cortisone shot, and instructed us on the benadryl. He felt very bad that we couldnt get ahold of him Friday night after he left when she started flaring up again (which was no problem, we understood things come up) but he gave us the whole visit and shot for free. He's an awesome guy...couldn't ask for a better vet. So we're going to pick up some beandryl today and keep it on hand.

NFLBoxerMom: Thanks for the dosing info...that is really good to know because I totally forgot to ask our vet how much we can give her.

Hopefully she stays away from whatever is causing this from now on. She's sleeping in our room and Im carrying benadryl everywhere now, just in case. Hope everyone else is doing better!

Jamie & Reese