Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 16th October 2003, 09:23 AM
Boxer Insane

First heat symptoms?

Could someone explain what the first heat cycle symptoms are, (aside from the obvious)?
I read somewhere that you might notice swelling. I noticed on Cami today that her rear end, (not butt), seems to be protruding (like possibly swollen), just at the top area between her legs. When I try to get a look at her vagina area she acts almost spooked....so that's not working.
I have noticed no blood or discharge. She is acting overly hyper today, "full of herself", and is really trying my patience. Does not want to stay in the house....so I started wondering.....she will be 7 months old on the 25th of October. Our yard is fenced in....no way in for other dogs and no way out for her.
She also wasn't very interesed in food this morning.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Susi
Sponsored Links

Old 16th October 2003, 11:38 AM
Boxer Insane

Judging by the age of your girl, I would say that the chances of her being in heat are pretty good. Normally this happens at around the 6 month mark.

As for symptoms, I do know that they can vary from dog to dog. Swelling and/or a bloody discharge can be symptoms.

Here is a link that I brought up by doing a search. It may help you get some more info.

First Heat?

There is one more thing that I wanted to add and I'm sure the breeders here will back this up.

If in fact your girl is in heat, you should not let her outside unsupervised. In fact, your best bet is to keep her on a leash by your side at all times. I know that you said your yard is fenced in, but if a loose intact male catches the scent of your girl that fence will do little to nothing to keep him out of the yard. I'm sure you wouldn't want to end up with an unexpected surprise!!

I hope I helped!!

=== My Edit ===
Here's another link with a lot of info about what it's like and what should be done while a bitch is in heat.

Estrus Detection and Management in Breeding Bitches

Old 16th October 2003, 12:24 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I just wanted to second what Boxer_21 said about not leaving her outside unattended. When our Heidi came into heat it was nothing really obvious..some swelling..some blood but it never got really bad. However, the dogs roaming freely around the neighborhood knew what was going on. There were two big black labs that would come and sit on our back steps and they would stare at Heidi..and Heidi would stare back, wanting out badly too. When it got to the right time...building up for days..that night the outside dogs were going nuts!! It was 3 o'clock in the morning and they were jumping at our windows trying to get to her. So if you think your fenced in yard is safe..it's not. They will go absoultely nuts trying to get to Cami if she is indeed in heat.

Keep us posted and Good Luck!

Old 16th October 2003, 12:40 PM
Boxer Insane

When I posted about no dogs being able to get in the yard or Cami not being able to get out I should have made myself a little clearer. We have a 10ft cedar privacy fence, on either blacktop or concrete surrounding the yard which comes into the actual yard, prior to any grass. And it's situated on a slope, making the actual ground even farther away more like 12+ feet in certain areas, so unless some unusually large extremely HIGH jumping dog could get over it, eat the wood to get through or dig through either surface......beside the point, one of the reasons that she was driving my crazy was for the reason of wanting to be outside, which I or hubby are ALWAYS with her out there......she is a social butterfly and never wants to be out there alone.....will sit at the door if you don't follow her outside, and on a few, rare occasions when perhaps the phone has rang and I run into get it and take it outside with me she is never outside alone.

From the reasearch that I have been doing since I posted, I am thinking that she is not in heat....nervous mom, always worrying.
The nipples are not swollen, the vuvla/vagina area is not swollen or hanging, no discharge of any kind. But I will definately keep a close eye on her and an eye out for any boys that may "come a callin!"

Old 16th October 2003, 12:54 PM
Super Boxer

The first thing I noticed on Lady was swollen nipples and a swollen vulva. But they began to swell about a month before the actual heat. Keep your eyes peeled, she'll probably keep swelling. Lady was 8 going on 9 months old when it happened. Tam319 has a really good post about the process, and I had a running one too...if you search on heat you will find a whole bunch of info.

Mariah.

Old 16th October 2003, 02:17 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Quote:
We have a 10ft cedar privacy fence, on either blacktop or concrete surrounding the yard which comes into the actual yard, prior to any grass. And it's situated on a slope, making the actual ground even farther away more like 12+ feet in certain areas, so unless some unusually large extremely HIGH jumping dog could get over it, eat the wood to get through or dig through either surface....
Now that's a fence..my perception of your fence was a chain link one surrounding the perimeter of your yard!!

Good to hear you don't think Cami is in heat