Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 7th October 2003, 09:44 AM
Super Boxer

Histiocytoma - compare photo?

Hi all....

Over the past couple of weeks Mac has developed a big ole growth on his back paw. He has another between his front toes as well- but its not quite as large.

Vet thinks its a Histiocytoma and expects it to go down on its own over the next few weeks... but instead its still growing and getting yuckier looking by the day. I never like what i read on peteducation.com...I always, always, always! read the worst into it!

Can someone whos had a pup with one of these nasty things check out the pic and tell me if thats what your pups looked like?

macs paw

Thanks!

Tracey

ps. thats a blood spot right in the middle...this was taken first thing in the am (pre-licking!) so its drier looking then it normally is (and its def. not a bug/insect bite - but with the blood spot, it kinda looks like one)
Sponsored Links

Old 7th October 2003, 10:23 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Yes. That is a hystiocytoma. Jesse just had one removed from her neck two weeks ago tomorrow. We tried to wait for it to go away on its own but it got infected really bad. The inside of it rotted out and smelled like something died.

FYI, here is another thread.
bleeding lump in ear.

Old 7th October 2003, 11:34 AM
Boxer Insane

Yes, I would say it is. Ginger had one a few years back on her elbow and it looked similar to that, but got darker and bigger. I know they say it will go away, we had her's removed. Just keep an eye on it. The vet told me they are nothing to worry about but we worry about our "boxers". She had a small one on her upper thigh last year and it fell off a couple times then finally disappeared. Good luck, I am sure Mac will be just fine.

Linda & Ginger

Old 7th October 2003, 11:52 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

My guess would be that it is indeed a hystiocytoma. It looks just like the one Ginger had on her toe a few months ago. My Ginger's never went away either, so we had it removed and biopsied just to be certain.

Sharon

Old 7th October 2003, 05:05 PM
BW Adviser

It looks like one to me also. I have had great luck in treating with Betadine. I used iodine once and it also worked. Usually with the Betadine they are all but gone within a week. Of course it takes a lot longer for the hair to grow back. I give it a really good scrub and don't rinse off, twice a day.

Old 7th October 2003, 05:22 PM
Super Boxer

Thanks everyone! Any idea how big they get ?

Old 7th October 2003, 05:33 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by boxerprincess
Thanks everyone! Any idea how big they get ?
The picture you show is the size that Lexi and Baxter's both got. We had great luck treating with colloidal silver. You can purchase this at a health food store. Both of theirs went away without surgery after several weeks Good luck.

Old 7th October 2003, 08:32 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Igor just had two of these things growing, one on the paw (in fact, it's a little less red, but except that, your picture could be one of Igor's paw) and the other one is rigth on the top of the head!!! It looks ok, it's dry with no swelling, in fact, the one on the head seems to get smaller (I noticed it 3 days ago), but I have an appointement to the vet Friday to be sure. Hope it will go soon, the one on the head is very ugly on my so cute little boy!!!

Pénéloppe had one last year, and it went away in a month, hope it will be the same!

Old 8th October 2003, 05:59 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Quote:
Any idea how big they get ?
I believe that they develop from any skin irritation such as a bug bite or a scratch. It is an allergy type of reaction most common in dogs under 3.

Old 8th October 2003, 02:00 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

As Draymia said, it can be treated with iodine. My breeder has been treating them that way and they always go away.
The only thing is if it's on a white part of the coat the iodine will stain.

Old 8th October 2003, 02:10 PM
Boxer Booster

Roxy had one also. The doctor took a needle biopsy and all was ok. Within one week, it was gone. It was under her armpit. Sissy

Old 8th October 2003, 02:32 PM
Boxer Insane

Elmo had one surgically removed on the side of his face and another on the top of his head went away on it's own but only after a year. They closely resembled the one on your dog's paw. Most vets can tell they are histiocytoma just by looking at them. Our vet took one look and said, "yup, it's a histiocytoma."