Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 1st August 2003, 03:51 PM
Boxer Insane

Unhappy A downhill turn for Caesar

For those of you who don't already know Caesar is in remission from Lymphoma. A few days ago my BF and I noticed the right side of his face above his eye had suffered some serious muscle wasting. We are truly unsure if it developed over time or happened suddenly because he has lost weight from chemo but we both noticed the same day. I called my reg. vet yesterday (he gives me free phone consultations ) and he said it sounded like something was blocking the nerve most likely a tumor.

Today was C's second to last chemo chemo appt. My BF and I spent 3 hours waiting while my very busy oncologist confered with a neurologist about C. From the description they feel it is probably a sarcoma on the nerve sheath or the lymphoma spreading (not as likely). It is probably un-operable even if C was a candidate for surgery. We have an appt. with the neurologist on Wed. My oncologist did some tests and his cornea is not responding as it should be.

She feels it is a slow moving tumor and will probably not cause him too much pain before the lymphoma comes back but my reg. vet disagrees and thinks it will eventually affect his hearing, eye, he may get a drooping face and could have difficulty swallowing. He said these things could already be affecting him. We are hoping for the best but are not sure if we are willing to spend $850 on the MRI if it is un-operable and the lymphoma is going to come back. We got some non steriod pain killers for him that contain no sedatives (expensive ) and will hope he doesn't go downhill too fast. Will update on Wed. after the consultation.

Send those healing BW vibes our way

Stephanie & Gang
Matilda & Marius - Russian Blue (cats)
Sponsored Links

Old 1st August 2003, 03:55 PM
Boxer Insane

Unhappy I'm so sorry Stephanie..

Sending <<HEALING VIBES>> to C.

And <HUGS> to you

Jenn & Cash

Old 1st August 2003, 04:16 PM
Boxer Insane

Maggie is tossing her dish and favorite tennis ball into a suitcase and hopping a plane so she can come give Caesar some personal attention. She's convinced that a few well-placed licks will set him right and make him feel better.

((((Hugs)))) to you, Stephanie, from all of us out here. Keeping all fingers, toes and paws crossed that the consultation brings reassuring news.

Sending lots of healing ~~vibes~~ to one of our favorite canine seniors.

- Gloria
Christopher, Benji and Jonny

Old 1st August 2003, 06:21 PM
Boxer Insane

Thanks guys!! myrocky - I realize I probably should have put this in community support.....

Stephanie

Old 1st August 2003, 06:25 PM
Boxer Insane

Holding Caesar in our prayers ~ Lisa and Diego

Old 1st August 2003, 06:35 PM
Boxer Insane

We are sending Caesar positive healing vibes~~~~~~~~~~~~

Linda & Ginger

Old 1st August 2003, 06:47 PM
Boxer Insane

Steph,
I am so sorry to hear this news about the Big C-man...he has done so well and been through so much. You know we will be praying for all of you and sending all the loving , healing feel better vibes we can muster. Please give him a big hug for me and the boys, OK! Take care...we are thinking of you.

Caesar,
You hand in there big boy..you are such an inspiration to all of us and we do hope you get to feeling better soon! djk

Old 1st August 2003, 08:41 PM
Boxer Insane

<<<<VIBES>>>>> to you all. Hope you feel better soon Ceasar! You're in our prayers...

Old 1st August 2003, 11:17 PM
Boxer Insane

Sending big boxer love to Caesar.
We will keep him in our thoughts and prayers that this is just a minor set back.
Get well soon big "C"

Peg, Jan, Brandi, Caesar, Jake & Maggie

Jake & Maggie 9-19-01 Brandi 8-7-98 to 12-18-09 Caesar 8-7-98 to 9-11-05
Duke 4-15-88 to 12-10-99 & Dutch 1-30-88 to 9-5-98

Old 1st August 2003, 11:35 PM
Boxer Insane

Lightbulb

Hey Steph,
After thought......
Is Caesar still on prednisone?
When our Duke was being treated for a suspected brain tumor, he was put on large doses of Prednisone. His head started to look skeletal after about 6 months. When I asked our vet about it he said it was typical after long term steroid use. That it causes muscle wasting the is mostly noticeable in the face and head. It also started to make the muscles in the abdomen lose their elasticity so the belly looks especially round.(Duke also had this) I never noticed the head problem in our Dutch whose was on chemo for lymphoma but her belly got very, very round like she was pregnant.

Peg

Old 2nd August 2003, 01:57 AM
Boxer Insane

Healing vibe for Ceasar

Ceasar is in our thoughts and prayers...........healing vibes heading your way

Luv Pam and Ginty

Old 2nd August 2003, 03:32 AM
Boxer Insane

Indy, Ava and I are hoping for the best for Caesar. It is times like this that remind us about the frailties of life, and just how precious that not only life, but health is.

Personally, I found it more difficult emotionally when Rocky became ill, than when human family members have had serious and even terminal illnesses.

I don't know if it's because we understand that it is a part of life, while our animal friends know something isn't right but don't understand its reality. They struggle to be themselves and to live their lives normally, and it breaks our hearts.

As humans, we understand what aging and illness means and mentally make adjustments. When we become incapacitated in some way, we will wait for someone to help us up. But our four legged friends will struggle mightily to continue on normally when it is impossible.

I believe it is that indomitable spirit in our pets that is so inspiring yet heartbreaking at the same time.

We had a stray cat that "adopted" us. He was at times very uncatlike. He had to be where we were. He would follow us around like a dog. If you ran around the yard, he would run after you. Yet he always maintained his independence.

He lived with us for years. When his health began to fail, it was the result of kidney problems. It was terminal, and it was awful watching him wither away.

I never felt a strong bond to Poosoir. Not in the same way as to our dogs. On one occasion when I took him to the vet, I felt it was going to be his last ride. When the vet said that he wasn't in pain and still had some living to do, I remember crying as I put him in the truck for the ride home. I had prepared myself that he was going to be euthanized, and just realizing that we were going to have to go through more time with the grand old cat, and watching him slip further, brought out emotions that I didn't know were there for him.

It just broke my heart to see this once magnificent cat shrivel away. To watch him labor along to get to his favorite place in the sunlight coming through the window, or to his favorite garden mound amid the flowers.

Our losses should be lessons to stop and smell the roses, to take time to enjoy those we love. To spend time with family and friends, for life is indeed short and precious.

God bless you at this difficult time, enjoy every precious moment with Caesar. I know you will, so this advice is for others who have yet to go through any heartbreak with their pets.

There is darkness and light, love and hate, joy and sorrow. Our sorrow, whether as a result of illness or death is the measure of the joy that someone has brought to our lives.

Be thankful for the joy that Caesar has provided. May he continue to be a joy for you. God bless.

Tom