Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 26th January 2001, 03:41 PM
Boxer Pal

Question

Just recently my 4 month old furbaby has a pus-like discharge coming from his penis. I have just started cleaning the pus with a cottonball soaked in hydrogen peroxide.

Is this the right thing to do? Should I continue cleaning his "thing" for awhile to see if it stops? Or should I take the poor little bugger to the vet? Or is this normal and I should leave this well enough alone?

I've never had a male pup before and this has me a bit worried!
Sponsored Links

Old 26th January 2001, 07:36 PM
Boxer Insane

If it's just a little drop here and there, and it's not too greenish or stinky, it's a perfectly normal boy-dog thing. The peroxide really isn't necessary - just wiping with a tissue should be fine.

Julie

Old 26th January 2001, 08:23 PM
Boxer Pal

Exclamation

Its more yellow than green...and it has a very metallic smell. It doesn't ooze pus. Since I've noticed it, wiping it once a day seems to take care of it.

Old 26th January 2001, 08:36 PM
Boxer Insane

Yep, sounds normal to me. I should have mentioned, although I'm sure you know, that if there is any blood in it he should see the vet.

Julie

Old 27th January 2001, 02:38 PM
Boxer Booster

My Brody had this before he was neutered. Our vet said that was normal in young males before they are neutered.
But you could take a urine sample to the vet anyway, and have it checked for urinary infection, just to be on the safe side.

On our late boxer, during his older years, he sometimes got infections there (he was neutered). My husband was instructed by our vet on how to flush the sheath with hydrogen peroxide. Rocky was so good about it.

Old 2nd February 2001, 10:13 AM
Boxer Buddy

Should he continue to have a discharge AFTER he is neutered. (Seems like there is an obvious answer to this...but my little boy has been neutered....so....not so obvious!)

Old 2nd February 2001, 10:42 AM
Boxer Insane

Many males continue to have a discharge after they're neutered. In a nutshell, when a dog gets an erection it picks up bacteria - when the penis recedes back into the sheath, the bacteria multiply (nice, warm, moist environment) and so you get a little "infection" there (infection in quotes because it's part of the normal flora and as long as it is not out of control, is not anything that the dog can't deal with on its own) and a slight discharge. Some dogs stop getting erections after they're neutered, some don't (not all of them are driven by testosterone!).

Julie

Old 2nd February 2001, 07:06 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Now we all know why they do their 2am cleanings!

Old 3rd February 2001, 10:32 AM
Boxer Pal

Lightbulb

Quote:
Some dogs stop getting erections after they're neutered, some don't (not all of them are driven by testosterone!).
So far all of Taz's erections center around food. Maybe I should feed him less and then he'll have fewer erections, leading to less puss.