Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2003, 06:44 PM
Boxer Booster

Lightbulb Qestion about dogs eating tomatoes or ketchup

This guy last week told me that tomatoes and ketchup or anything with vinegar in it is just as harmful as chocolate to dogs is this true. I know about chocolate but have never heard about tomatoes if anyone knows please let me know.
He also told me his friend didn't know this and one night had left over spaghettii and fed it to his dog and the next morning the dog was dead.
I am really wondering because we will be having tomatoes in the garden this year, I know for a fact this guy wasn't joking he was giving me a huge warning so
someone please help .
~~Melanie~~
Sponsored Links

Old 6th May 2003, 06:56 PM
Boxer Insane

Can't tell you for sure, but Rocky, our first, loved tomatos, tomato juice or V8 juice. If someone had a can of juice, he'd sit patiently by their side, knowing that he'd get the last few drop poured onto his tongue.

I've learned that grapes, and I believe onions pose a health threat. From what I've read about people whose dogs have eaten some chocolate, they've learned that while you wouldn't want to feed your dog milk chocolate, they'd have to eat a considerable amount for it to be dangerous. Other forms may be an entirely different story.

Do a search on tomatos. If they are a hazard, someone will have already posted info about them.

Tom

Old 6th May 2003, 08:43 PM
Your Friendly Moderator

Quoted from http://www.critterchat.net/frequent.htm about BARF diets for dogs. I know nothing about the source of this information but merely came up with it in an internet search.

Quote:
Q. Are there any foods which should be avoided or not feed?

A. There are a few vegetable to be avoided or fed in only smaller, less frequent intervals. Onions (can cause a form of anemia in some dogs), tomatoes, garlic (belongs to the onion family)and potatoes (member of the nightshade family). Other vegetables that are gas forming (such as cabbage, spinach, celery) should also be fed sparingly to reduce likelihood of excess gas. Meats that are to be avoided or fed carefully are pacific salmon (see salmon poisoning link, pork (not due to parasites but mainly due to the fact that it is the hardest animal source to digest and can cause some dogs difficulty)and meat and bone from the older stock animal (buildup of more environmental toxins). Peanuts (not really nuts at all!) should not be included with a natural diet for our companion animals (see Tiffani's article.. regarding aflotoxins on the Essential Oils and Fatty Acids page.
Maybe one of our BARF people has further information.

Old 6th May 2003, 08:55 PM
Reasonable Moderator

Tomatoes and Ketchup are not going to kill your dog! You should avoid tomatoes if your dog has arthritis as it makes it worse. Ketchup is high in sugar and is therefore not very healthy and should be avoided. A little bit certainly wouldn't hurt.

As far as I know, those are the only reasons that you shouldn't eat tomatoes

Old 6th May 2003, 11:22 PM
Boxer Insane

My MIL's dog will take tomatoes out of the garden (red or green the bigger the better) and he will lay underneath a tree and eat it. They find half eaten tomatoes all summer long all over the yard and at first we thought it was some animal, but after it was witnessed well we knew the culprit. The only thing that would happen was he would get diarrhea from eating too many green ones, other than that when I was taking care of him last summer the vet said to let him have his share of reds-within reason (which in my opinion he shouldn't have any those tomatoes were soooo good!). Anyway, just my 2 cents!

Jaimie

Old 6th May 2003, 11:35 PM
Boxer Insane

We often include tomatoes as part of the dogs veggie mix.
The only reason I've come across to avoid them is as Jan said, if you're feeding them to a dog that suffers from arthritis.
I would avoid tomatoe ketchup though, purely for the sugar & salt content.

"Life moves pretty fast.
If you don't stop and look around for a while, you may miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Old 6th May 2003, 11:56 PM
Boxer Booster

Thumbs up Thank you guys 4 the help.

I just didn't know if that sounded right when he told that to me. I wouldn't give my dog ketchup in the first place but he really likes vegetables so I guess now I know he can have a little bit of tomato every now and then, I just asked my husband exactly what the guy said and he supposibly said ketchup and vinegar because of all the acids that are in it But I still don't understand how a dog died of eating spaghetti maybe his dog just died and he thought it was the spaghetti *(shrugz)* I have no clue
~~Melanie~~

Old 7th May 2003, 12:24 AM
Boxer Insane

Talking Ginty loves tomatoes............

My Ginty just loves tomatoes..... every year I grow tomatoes in the garden.....she just chooses a bush bats a tomatoe off the bush and throws it around the garden........ chasing it like its a ball.........then settles down and enjoys her fruit..........

Luv Pam and Ginty

Old 7th May 2003, 06:38 AM
Boxer Insane

Vinegar also isn't harmful to your dog. My dog gets apple cider vinegar three times a week In fact it is very benefical! He also gets tomatoes in his veggies

Andie

Old 7th May 2003, 09:27 AM
Boxer Booster

I give my dog a small squirt of tomato juice on her kibble to help neutralize the acid in her urine. She has been buring the grass out. And I got this info here on the Boxer Board.
Jodie

Old 8th May 2003, 10:52 AM
Boxer Booster

Quote:
Peanuts (not really nuts at all!) should not be included with a natural diet for our companion animals (see Tiffani's article.. regarding aflotoxins on the Essential Oils and Fatty Acids page.
What about peanut butter? Fugger gets a spoonful once a day...the only way to get his meds. into him. Anyone know if peanut butter is bad?

Old 8th May 2003, 11:02 AM
Boxer Insane

If peanuts aren't nuts then what are they Rocks gets peanut butter almost everyday and there are so many treats that are PB flavored I don't see how it can be harmful.

Andie