Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2003, 06:48 AM
Boxer Booster

Question Do Whiskers Shed Too?

I have noticed Jake doesn't have as many long whiskers lately. It seems a lot of them are little short (1/2 inch long or less). With the warming of the spring, he is definitely shedding a lot more, and I was wondering if whiskers shed too?

Please forgive me if this really seems petty and dumb, but I tried a search and couldn't come up with anything on this topic. He goes to the vet tomorrow to have a bump on his gums taken care of, and I'm wondering if I should ask the vet about the whiskers.

There is no general hair loss....no bald patches...no itching...no dandruff. Just fewer and shorter whiskers.

He is almost 1 year old....could it be like baby teeth? The baby whiskers fall out, and big boy whiskers grow in to replace them? I was looking at his baby pictures, and he had a TON of long white whiskers.

Old 4th May 2003, 07:09 AM
Boxer Insane

I don't think its a dumb questions, I don't know if they shed by themselves, I don't think so. But they do grow back in. I know some members shave their dogs whiskers for showing and because some just like a smooth face, it doesn't hurt them at all.

"If you have your health, everything else is a bonus"

Old 4th May 2003, 07:59 AM
BW Adviser

There are no dumb questions.

I don't think they shed. I've never seen this with my boxers, but they do break off and get pulled out now and then. If they are shorter, he may be breaking them off??

My guys get shaved regularly for dog shows. There is nothing worse than a week old whisker growth giving you a kiss. They are quite sharp.