Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2003, 08:38 PM
Boxer Booster

Question Dew claw growing back?

Harley is 9 months old. She had her dew claws removed when she was just a couple or so days old. One of her dew claws seems to be growing back. It's not normal size, it's like a mini dew claw. Has anyone heard of this? If so, what happened? Is it something we'll have to have removed?

The next time we go to the vet we will have them take a look at it, but wondered if anyone has had this happen.

Old 21st April 2003, 09:42 PM
Reasonable Moderator

Dew claws have been known to grow back, if they haven't been removed properly in the first place.

Old 22nd April 2003, 06:07 AM
Boxer Booster

Our puppy, Duke, has a dew claw that wasn't removed properly. It does have a tendency to grow to a certain length and then it breaks off after it gets so long. It is exactly as you described--a mini dewclaw. I asked our vet about having it removed when we had him neutered, but she refused saying it was cosmetic and she doesn't do anything cosmetic.

Old 22nd April 2003, 06:18 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Hammer also had a dew claw grow back. HOWEVER, my vet said "Oh we can just snip that off when we do his neuter"!! Had I known then what I know now, he'd still have that dew claw!

It wasn't a simple snip. No matter how hard I tried to keep his bandage and e-collar on he still managed to get it off a couple of times. The incision ended up getting infected and the poor guy was on antibiotics and in the e-collar for an additional ten days!! So two weeks of misery for Hammer! I wouldn't advise removing Duke's.

Just keep it trimmed like you would his other nails and it should be fine.

Sharon, Mom to Hammer & Ginger

Old 22nd April 2003, 08:16 AM
Boxer Booster

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm just going to leave it alone then. Thanks again!