Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 12th April 2003, 02:27 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Limping on front right leg

Dexter is 4 yrs old. About a week and a half ago he was playing with our other Boxer Sophie who is also 4 yrs old. They were doing fine I asked them if they'd like to go for a walk and once we got out of the house Dexter started limping on his front right leg. I took him to the vet and he gave me some Rimadyl that really didn't help. Four days later I took him back to the vet and they took complete x-rays of that shoulder down to the paw. The x-rays showed nothing - great relief - but he is still limping as bad as in the beginning. He did have a yeast infection on that foot and was really chewing it hard on the underside. That has since cleared up with the use some medicated shampoo and drops. If anyone can please help me discover the problem I would really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links

Old 14th April 2003, 08:19 AM
Boxer Buddy

Could be a joint or cartiledge problem. These don't always show up on x-rays. Ask you vet about OCS a condition where they get a tear in the cartiledge of the shoulder. Normally this is very painful for the dog. Your vet should do some manipulation to try to find our where the pain is.

Hope this helps

Old 16th April 2003, 05:51 AM
Boxer Booster

limping all the time?

I just took Fugger to the doctor for his right front paw. He would curl it up as if he had a pulled muscle or charlie horse. (Think of holding his paw in your hand and feeling it actually tighten up in a curled position.) He also was x-rayed, and had a small bump on his bone. The x-ray also showed signs of arthritis. He was given Deramaxx and Glyco-flex and strict R & R. The Dr. put him thru a series of moves to try to locate the problem area, but of course Fugger was stubborn and didn't show any pain. Do you believe as soon as we got home his paw started curling again??? He only does this when he is nervous, playing very hard, or walking on cold concrete. We are going to give him 4 weeks on the pills and if it doesn't go away we will take him back for a MRI. Fugger will be 4 in November.

I hope all goes well with Dexter and hopefully this will pass.

Old 16th April 2003, 06:06 AM
Boxer Insane

can this all be psychological???
Because I Rymadyl did miracles for Krose and he was a really bad limper when he was a puppy, running like crazy everywhere!
Is it all the time or just sometimes? Because Boxers are very emotional you know, if they sense something is making them unhappy, they let you know in the weirdest ways!!!

basak

Old 16th April 2003, 06:39 AM
Boxer Pal

Dexter was the same, didn't show any symptoms the whole time Dr. Faust was bending each toe, his paw back to his wrist, his leg straight out, straight back to the side, actually I was wincing. Then when we went home he started limping again. When we took him to have x-rays he was limping that morning but as soon as we hit the vet door he was acting fine. I thought HMMMM maybe he is faking for attention asked the doc he said it was the adrenaline that was kicking in that made him seem better. Dexter seemed to be doing better, then he went out and ran in the yard as fast as he could came back in limping, but not as bad. It seems to be worse when he first gets up after sleeping. The children's asprin do seem to be helping if I see he is particularly stiff.

Old 25th May 2004, 10:12 AM
Boxer Booster

I know I am late on this thread, but Lucy just started doing the same thing. The Remadyl (sp?) didn't work, now we are trying Prednisone, then we will try xrays. He really wants to rule out OCS, I think we are headed to the orthopedic specailist this week.

What happened with Dexter? Is he ok?

Lucy (May 2000 - October 2009)- fawn perky eared masked goof ball and

Old 25th May 2004, 01:58 PM
Boxer Pal

We had all kinds of x-rays done and they showed nothing. He actually got better about 3 weeks after it happened. Nothing was ever found, but he is fine now.