Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2001, 04:29 PM
brindlemom

Hello.
I was doing a search for diarrhea. I know, fun topic.
Striker seems to have had some very loose stools lately. I have been wondering what has been causing it. Nothing has changed in his diet whatsoever. I have come home about 3 times in the last couple of weeks to instantly smell that wonderful smell the instant I step in the door. Next comes the fun search of where and how many time he did it!!!!

I have read a few posts about rawhide causing diarrhea. Do you feel that this can occur? And why is this? I would think that the rawhide would be a foreign object that isn't easily digested?
Let me know what you think!!! Thank You so much.
Sponsored Links

Old 11th January 2001, 05:25 PM
Your Friendly Moderator

Maggie was having the same problems with very loose stools. No sign of any other illness, and was eating well, but had very loose - at times watery - stools. I did a process of elimination of all extraneous food items, such as treats and rawhide chews. I got her back to normal stools and then introduced each food item (one type of dog biscuit at a time, etc.) and then the rest, including the rawhide. When I introduced the rawhide again, her stools became loose and watery again and the diarrhia began again. Thus, I deducted that the rawhide was what was causing the problem and eliminated it.

Rawhide may not affect all dogs the same way. Some do just fine with it. But in my case, that's what was the problem and now that I no longer give her rawhide, her stools are just fine and she hasn't had any diarrhia since.

Anyway, that's my experience with rawhide.

Old 11th January 2001, 06:32 PM
brindlemom

Talking

Yeah, that's what I have been doing.
Process of elimination. Nothing has changed at all. They usually had rawhide here and there before, and lately, they have about 3 HUGE long ones, that my family gave them for Christmas. It looks cute with both of them chewing the bone at opposite ends.

I have just taken away all of the rawhide bones, and I know that Striker and Nellie LOVE them, so I feel bad now of course!! Nellie has never had loose stools ever, so I know she doesn't have a problem. But, I am going to see how this goes. I'd much rather have Striker healthy and happy. I actually just bought a new huge Nylabone, so that should keep him occupied.

Old 11th January 2001, 11:50 PM
Super Boxer

Sorry have to get my two cents in, I am so against rawhides and those pig ears, I should be protesting in front of a store. When Samson was younger he tore his stomach lining with either a rawhide or a pigs ear, he was so sick it was coming out both ends, I rushed him to the vet and got a very stern lecture, the vets main concern was bacteria building up on the chewed left over part of the rawhide, not to mention the shard like pieces that the dogs swallow whole can really tear them up inside. It is a bummer though, the dogs love them so much.

Old 12th January 2001, 03:10 PM
brindlemom

Joann,
Thanks for your two cents!
I totally see the bacteria buildup, I was thinking that myself.
We have taken away all the bones, and we won't buy anymore.
It is such a bummer, because that is Striker's favorite thing. He will just get the ropes and Nylabones too, which he also likes.

Old 12th January 2001, 09:11 PM
skyastara

Red face

Rawhide also contains some very unhealthy substances, such as lead and arsenic. I avoid them like the plague, personally.

Old 13th January 2001, 06:47 PM
Boxer Insane

I would eliminate the rawhide and see what happens. You could also have some other problems. Amaya started with runny stools. We would have to take her to the vet to stop it and 2 weeks later the problem would return.

Amaya had developed colitis or a inflamation on the colon. She was put on a restrictive diet of prescription dog food and treats. She was also on medication for about 3 months.

She is now off the medication but we closely monitor her diet. Rawhides are reserved for Christmas and birthdays. I guess the moral of the story is....watch the pup closely and seek medical advice when necessary.
Regal's Full of TENder Grace