Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 29th October 2002, 09:07 AM
Boxer Insane

Unhappy reverse "snort"

Cash has this wierd reverse "snort" thing going on, he did it a few times a week or so ago, then he wakes up this morning doing it ALOT, my roomie said he threw up early this AM, but otherwise he seems fine. Does this sound like cause for concern?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

Old 29th October 2002, 02:35 PM
Jeanne

The reverse snort is a soft palate problem (upper and back portion of the inside of the mouth. In some dogs with short faces, the palate is too long. When they go into a reverse snort fit, you can usually stop it by holding the nose closed. This forces them to take a breath through the mouth and reposition the area giving the problem. A little trick told to me by a boston breeder for my neighbor who has a boston that does that. She spent a bunch of money going to the local vet (who though she had an infection) and putting her on meds that were doing nothing, before I asked my boston friend (a long time breeder) about it. Once in awhile, Harry does it when he wakes up.

Old 29th October 2002, 02:46 PM
Boxer Insane

My Mom's vet once told her when they do that it's how they clear their nose-like when we sniffle.
Megan 4 yr old brindle rescue

Old 29th October 2002, 02:52 PM
Boxer Insane

Our last boxer used to do this quite a bit - the vet called it Reverse Sneezing. Every now and then he would do it a lot and the vet said that was to do with allergies but nothing to be concerned about.

Old 29th October 2002, 03:05 PM
Boxer Insane

Thanks for your replies, I will try holding his nose next time! I have never had a short muzzled dog before, so it was a new one on me!

Old 31st October 2002, 08:01 PM
Boxer Insane

Tyra usually does it after she drinks water. The first time I witnessed it I took her to the vet. It cost me $39.00 to find out it is called the reverse sneeze.

Gone but never forgotten: Tico, Elmo, and Tyra.

Old 1st November 2002, 09:43 AM
Boxer Insane

I held his nose this morning and I think it worked!

Old 1st November 2002, 09:49 AM
MarleysMom

I was just searching before posting about this - my two just started to do this all the time! Here in Minnesota it has just gotten real cold in the last few weeks and this is when I noticed that they started to reverse sneeze a lot - sounds like they are clearing their throat. Glad to hear it's pretty common among other Boxers and it's nothing to worry about. Thanks guys!

Old 1st November 2002, 10:12 AM
Boxer Insane

Marleysmom,

Do you guys have a humidifier? The air gets so dry this time of year. Maybe it would help a little.

Old 1st November 2002, 10:45 AM
Super Boxer

This happens to Tenaia fairly often when she is eating - if I happen to be down the hall she comes running to me for help cuz she can't catch her breath. I have found that if I grab a towel to protect my thumbs a bit and insert them behind her fangs and open her mouth (kind of similar to putting a bit in a horses mouth) it forces her to take a breath through her mouth, thus releasing the soft palate and then she is ok. It's kind of scary when they have those fits.
~waiting at the Bridge~Enjoy the sun my beautiful girl!