Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 10th September 2002, 12:53 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Boxer Lifespan

Can anyone give me info on average age I can expect my boxer to live? We rescued him about 7 years ago and guess he is about 9 now, I just started to notice alot more gray lately and he shows signs of slowing down a little.
Sponsored Links

Old 10th September 2002, 01:11 PM
Boxer Insane

I have heard most people say that the average life span for a boxer is 10 to 12 years. But I've heard of boxers living longer than that - even upto 14 or 16 years!! Each boxer is, of course, different, and it just really depends on the health of your individual dog. I personally will be really thrilled if my boxers live until they are 10-12, just because I hear of so many that pass away way too early in life due to various health problems that boxers are so prone to.

Old 10th September 2002, 01:19 PM
Boxer Insane

I have heard the average is anywhere from 8 - 12 years, but I have also heard of plenty of boxers living to 13 - 14. Unfortunately boxers are prone to many forms of cancer it can be very worrying especially as they age. I know when our last boxer reached the age of 8 I became paranoid and would take him to the vet any time I had any concerns, sadly we did lose him to cancer just before his 10th birthday. To help you keep ahead of any problems that may lie ahead I recommend a physical every 6 months once they reach those senior years, that way you have a better chance of catching things in time and keeping them healthy longer. But just enjoy the time you have left and don't worry yourself silly about the what ifs. I love nothing more than a boxer with a grey face they are so wise and noble, and very kissable.

Adelle

Old 10th September 2002, 01:29 PM
Boxer Buddy

I lost my furbaby almost a year ago. She was 12 1/2 years old and full of life and vitality right to the end. After a bout of bronchitis and what we think might have been cancer, she passed on October 5th of last year. She had become anemic and so it was hard for the vet to diagnose what was causing it. After she became sick, she just never recovered.

But, she lived a long healthly life and many were surprised to know that she lived so long. As I always heard most boxers go around 11.

I just contribute Shotz's long life to how much we loved her and made her such a part of the family. Give your baby lots of love, make sure she gets plenty of exercise and take her to the vet like you should.

As far as getting gray...Shotzi had a total black mask when she was young. As she aged, her face became almost totally white. That started around age 7.