Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 30th March 2002, 05:56 AM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy She won't drink or eat after being spayed.

We took our Gracie to the Vet's office yesterday morning to be spayed. We picked her up late yesterday afternoon. She was still pretty groggy, but she went to sleep immediately after getting home and slept through the night without making a sound. This is our first baby and we aren't sure what we should expect after her surgery. I don't want to have to call the vet for every little thing, but we are worried. We figured that you guys could possibly help us out. I know that it has only been about 24 hrs since her surgery, but we are getting really worried because she won't drink anything or eat. I guess that I understand the not eating, but I think that she should be drinking something by now. Is this normal? When will she start drinking again? We love our Gracie so much and we just want to make sure that she is okay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gracie - Brindle female born:8/22/01
Sponsored Links

Old 30th March 2002, 06:22 AM
Boxer Insane

It is not uncommon for them not to eat or drink at first.

When people pick up their animals from surgery, we tell them to offer a little bit of water early evening, and wait. If they hold that down (some can get sick with vomiting), then, they can offer a small amount of food. If they don't eat or drink, don't worry.

The day following surgery, they ususally don't eat or drink much either.

If you have any concerns, please contact your vet.

Old 30th March 2002, 07:52 AM
Boxer Insane

I think Gracie will be okay. Leena was the same when she was spayed last June. She was spayed on a Friday and Sunday was when she started drinking and eating. I had my daughter by a c-section, so I had total simpathy for the pain she was in. If you are worried, it wouldn't hurt to call your vet, just for your own piece of mind. I hope she feels better soon.

Old 30th March 2002, 05:31 PM
Boxer Pal

Thanks for all of the support and advice. Gracie has been laying around all day on the couch with me, but late this afternoon she finally drank just a little bit of water. She also has eaten a very small amount of food. I guess I was just a little paranoid. I was afraid that something would go wrong and, because I have never been through this before, I wouldn't know that anything was wrong. I just want to be a good mommy. Once again, thanks for all of the advice. Back to the couch to lay down with my baby.