Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 22nd February 2002, 07:24 AM
Boxer Booster

Question Glucosamine

Anybody giving glucosamine to their boxers? I've read several articles on how glucosamine and chondroitin provide pain relief and cartilage protection for humans and dogs with arthritis and/or joint problems. The liquid kind is recommended so I'm thinking about trying Syn-Flex on my baby boy.

Rocky will soon be 5 and he's starting to show signs of joint problems/arthritis on his back legs. Until I can get him diagnosed and x-rayed, I am thinking of giving him Syn-Flex.

So, have any of you given glucosamine (the liquid or solid kind) to your babies? Have you seen any improvements to their conditions?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Karen

Servant of:
Rocky, male born 04/28/97, fawn, black mask, natural ears
Maxxie, female born 06/12/01, flashy fawn, natural ears
Sponsored Links

Old 22nd February 2002, 07:46 AM
Boxer Insane

I give Dallas Glycoflex II -- he is recovering from knee surgery and has arthritis in that joint as well. I was initially using glycoflex, and I saw enormous improvement when I switched to glycoflex II.

Old 22nd February 2002, 11:37 AM
Boxer Insane

My boss swears by it. He lost a knee cap to a football injury 20 years ago. This was before current technology. His only choice then was for an aluminum knee cap.(aches badly in cold weather)

Old 22nd February 2002, 12:10 PM

Bowzer's been on Glucosamine supplements for about 2 weeks now, and we have yet to notice a difference. He was diagnosed with OCD, and the cartilage in his knee has worn down. The vet told us to give him the Glucosamine and chondroitin for a while and make him rest (I still would like to know how you make a boxer rest!). So, maybe in a few weeks we will see a difference, but as of yet, nothing.

The liquid seems like it would be a better choice though, since they absorb more of the nutrient than in the pill form.

Old 22nd February 2002, 01:44 PM
Boxer Booster

Helmut has been on glucosamine for about a year now and he is definitely less stiff than before. Our vet told us to buy the generic people version rather than a pet version because it's the same stuff. However, I am thinking of changing brands because I don't think it's been as effective as the same stuff I used at first. I got both of them at WalMart.

Old 22nd February 2002, 01:49 PM
Boxer Booster

Question

Jen,

What has Helmut been on Glucosamine for? What are his symptoms? How much glucosamin do you give him per day? Did your Vet have him x-rayed? So many questions, sorry...

Glad to know it's working for your baby,

Karen

Old 22nd February 2002, 02:18 PM
Boxer Booster

Minnie has been eating Nutro Natural Large Breed food for about 2 years now. It's got GC in it. She's too young to tell if there's any benefit...maybe we'll have a better answer in a few years.

My grandfather takes GC for joint pain and he swears by it. IMO - it can't hurt to use it on your dog, especially in a preventative manner.

Old 24th February 2002, 02:09 AM
Super Boxer

Our vet recommended Glucosamine for our Labrador about two years ago ~ he did not show any signs of hip dysplasia, but she said since it's so prevalent in Labs it wouldn't be a bad idea to start giving it to him. Apparently, there was a study a couple of years back in Canada that showed great improvement in dogs who were given Glucosamine and, although it can't prevent hip dysplasia, it does help lessen the severity of the symptoms. Mind you, I am not a vet; this is just what I've been told. It might not be a bad idea to start our Boxer on it, as well, but will check with the vet. And by the way, I have to say I have not seen any difference in our Lab since taking Glucosamine, but remember, he did not have any symptoms to start with!
Jake ~ Yellow Labrador born Sep 1998 (natural ears, otter tail!)
Winston ~ Plain Brindle Boxer waiting at the Bridge
Three beautiful skin kids ~ ages 4, 6, and 8!

Old 24th February 2002, 05:55 PM
Boxer Insane

Hi, my rottie was limping a bit on one of his front legs and we took him to the vets and my vet decided before going through xrays we should try glucosamine. We started giving him glucosamine 3 times a day to start and now just 1 a day and he doesn't limp anymore. I am so thankful, It seems to have worked wonders.

My vet also told me that one of her customers has started taking it himself and he feels so much better too.

Its called GLU-500-C

Hope this helps.

We also feed our pup and rottie Nutram dog food which has Glucosamine in it.
Forgot to mention, we give them by capsules.

"If you have your health, everything else is a bonus"

Last edited by Scorpio; 24th February 2002 at 06:04 PM.

Old 26th February 2002, 11:39 AM
Boxer Insane

We had Hooligan on glucosamine and chondroitin for several years and it worked wonders for him. He was definitely a lot less stiff. I first started him on the doggie version "Cosequin' which cost an arm and a leg till I discovered the human generic brand at my local pharmacy, which does the same job and costs half the price.

I definitely recommend it.

Adelle

Old 28th February 2002, 12:22 PM
Boxer Pal

Adelle,

Since you are using "human type" glucosamine & condroiten supplements, do you know what dosage per pound is recommended?

Butch - "rescue

Old 28th February 2002, 12:40 PM
Boxer Insane

If you go to this link it give you the dosage amounts for different sizes. The human verizon that I got came in the same size as the Cosequin Pet Version. Initially they take a higher dosage for the first 6 weeks.

I hope this helps.

Adelle

http://www.vetamerica.com/cosdoubstren.html