Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2012, 08:41 AM
Boxer Pal

hard small moveable lump on neck

Lastnight I was petting my dog and tickeling his neck area and felt a little lump. its under his right side of his chin right under the jaw bone it feels like. I dont know what its attached too but i can put my fingers around it and move it. its kinda shaped like a football and it moves around pretty good. its hard and definintely not attached to the outside of his skin. could he have an infection. I'm pretty good at checking my dogs and making sure nothing new has popped up. He isn't even 2 yet and has been super healthy. I tried to check his teeth but its hard to do that to a dog that is still in puppy mode. He still plays and eats well. Should i be concerned? THe other side is perfectly fine. I'm wondering if its an infection on the lymph node. I looked up whre lymph nodes are on dogs in the neck and it looks like thats where it is. god i hope its not lymphoma. I can't go through anymore problems with dogs. we just had our other boxer pass from a born disease with his joints, we only had him 4 months than got this one right after because we were mourning pretty bad. They are like our children. Ugh. My husband said we will watch it and if it grows anymore we will take him to the vet but i'm so impatient, i'd rather spend the money and know, but i havent had the best of luck with vets. Just don't know what to do. Spend 2-300 dollars or wait a bit and see if it grows. when i get home from work i am going to check him again, he doesnt seemed bothered by it. him and the other 2 year old male boxer we have they run out in our yard every morning and bounce off eachother. they are very hard playing, so maybe it could just be something protecting an area that got hit? i know how soft boxers necks are. he has NO bumps/lumps anywhere else. I just find it so hard to believe it to be something bad. if i wouldnt have noticed it lastnight i wouldnt think anything is wrong. he eats like a teenage boy and pees normal, poops, normal and has acted the same since we got him.
Has anyone had this happen to them? I just need a little bit of peace of mind. I can't stop thinking about it.
Sponsored Links

Old 11th December 2012, 01:27 PM
Boxer Insane

If it is the lymph node, it could very well just be an infection. The lymph nodes job is to filter bad things from the blood. I know it is hard not to go to the worse case scenario when you have already been thru so much. I am one of those that gets checked if they hang out more than 2-3 days. I have been thru a lot with my dogs myself and even if it is just an infection I like to get things treated sooner rather then later. So just breathe and if it doesn't go away after a few days or if it gets bigger make an appointment. In the mean time try to relax. Our pups are very intune with our feelings and if you show anxiety so will they. Lots of healthy and positive (((vibes))) coming your way!
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13
The Following User Says Thank You to Gatorblu For This Useful Post:
LILYLARUE (12th December 2012)

Old 11th December 2012, 07:16 PM
Boxer Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorblu View Post
If it is the lymph node, it could very well just be an infection. The lymph nodes job is to filter bad things from the blood. I know it is hard not to go to the worse case scenario when you have already been thru so much. I am one of those that gets checked if they hang out more than 2-3 days. I have been thru a lot with my dogs myself and even if it is just an infection I like to get things treated sooner rather then later. So just breathe and if it doesn't go away after a few days or if it gets bigger make an appointment. In the mean time try to relax. Our pups are very intune with our feelings and if you show anxiety so will they. Lots of healthy and positive (((vibes))) coming your way!
I'm so glad u replied with such a positive post. Bolt and our other boxer diesel are the same age and they do rough house slot and they run out in the back yard and cause alot of ruckus. tonight feeling it it feels long and hard. The end is like a grape than I can feel it attached to something long. It doesn't feel like misstated it feels like a hard grape on a thick stick. Trying to be as elaborate as possible. I'm seriously hoping hydrogen just an infection. He isn't showing any weird signs and he is eating and drinking very normal. If it feels the same by Friday morning I am going to take him. I was going to go tomorrow but than I thought how impatient I am being and like my husband said u have to let things settle and take it's coarse. So I just need tl chill I guess. Anyone else had this happen to their pup. I mean do dogs get cancer when they aren't even 2 yet

Old 12th December 2012, 07:37 AM
Boxer Pal

Morning Update

So this morning I checked Bolts neck again and its still there. same size and all. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Yesterday it felt more swollen. It feels like a lollipop is stuck in the side of his throat. a small lollipop because the end is bigger than the shaft. it goes upward too up to his jaw bone. My husband keeps saying his lymph node is inflamed and it will go down. My husband doesn't get worried about anything. im the worrier. If it doesnt go away by Thursday Night i'm going to go Friday. I am even thinking of going today after work. I just want to make sure its nothing. I keep reading all these threads about how lymphoma spreads fast. I just can't imagine this happening to him, he isn't even 2 yeat until April. Very upsetting to me. Has anyone had this happen to their dog? I keep reading that lymphoma is more of their nodes swelling up like water balloons. This feels more like a cyst. Another thing i'm thinking, our 2 boxers wrestle alot at night and bite at eachothers necks. what if Diesel (our other young boxer) bit at his neck and maybe hit something that is now swollen to help heal? i dont know. im trying to self diagnose. im so nervous to go to the vet. i dont want them coming back to me telling me its the dreaded C. Bolt is our baby. this is so hard.

Old 12th December 2012, 08:05 AM
Boxer Pal

Canine Salivary Gland Diseases

Could this also be Salivary Gland Disease? I am reading about this and it sounds alot like what is going on. He does have a metal smell in his breath but he's always had that. Also he is pretty immune to allergies. No matter what im still taking him to the vet today after work, i just wonder if anyone has had experience with swollen Salivary Glands?

Old 12th December 2012, 09:01 AM
Boxer Insane

Awe, I think you are reading too much too soon! Relax. Breathe. Go to the vet and hear what he has to say before you panic. It's not good for you to panic.

Let us know what the vet says. We are hear for you, even if it's just an infected hair follicle.

Old 12th December 2012, 11:05 AM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILYLARUE View Post
Awe, I think you are reading too much too soon! Relax. Breathe. Go to the vet and hear what he has to say before you panic. It's not good for you to panic.

Let us know what the vet says. We are hear for you, even if it's just an infected hair follicle.
Ya i'm making myself a nervous wreck. I read some things online and i think "maybe its that" and i can breathe again, than i read bad ones and think "omg maybe its that" and start to panic. I will update once i know. I just wish I could just ask him how he feels. I should have just went to the vet lastnight. sitting at work freaking out is getting me nowhere. and the internet is a bad bad thing. So many negative things. ugh
The Following User Says Thank You to BLDluv For This Useful Post:
LILYLARUE (12th December 2012)

Old 12th December 2012, 07:25 PM
Boxer Pal

Back from the vet update

So I went to the vet. The Vet checked the lump. she said its definitely not on the Lymph Node. THANK GOD! SHe did say though since he is a Boxer and they are prone for bumps and lumps popping up everywhere she wants to remove it. She said it would cost less to remove it than to do a needle aspiration and send it out, which i believe her because just the needle aspiration is 45 bucks and to send it out is 138 dollars to get tested. they can look at the fluid they collected under a microscope but she said its not even close to what they can do when they send it off, but if there was something when it came back i would have already spent 225+ dollars on just getting the little bit they got from the needle tested than will need to make the decision of "do i want to get it removed or not". so she said to just do surgery get it removed she can really get a good look at the whole thing under a microscope and if she feels she sees any cancerous cells than send it off. so the surgery is only 125 dollars. than if she sees that we really need to send it out than pay the extra 138, but if she sees there are no cancerous cells than thats the end of it.

So im glad we made the decision to do the surgery. she said he seems like a very healthy dog but when boxers get lumps out of no where the best thing is to hurry and get them removed and tested. i'm so glad it isnt on his lymph node. phew. now lets pray its benign! so i'm not as nervous now.

I will keep the ones you care updated on here. not maybe replied on here but the ones that did just wanted to give you the update.
Gatorblu (12th December 2012), LILYLARUE (13th December 2012)

Old 12th December 2012, 09:31 PM
Boxer Insane

When are they doing the surgery? I like getting the bumps off myself, so I understand your decision. Lots of healthy positive thoughts!

Old 13th December 2012, 09:32 AM
Boxer Pal

Wink

Quote:
When are they doing the surgery? I like getting the bumps off myself, so I understand your decision. Lots of healthy positive thoughts!
The surgery is Tuesday the 18th. That was the next available one she had. They are taking him in at 8:15 and she said we will have him back once he wakes up and doing normal (that day). She said its a very easy and fast procedure. She is the owner of the Vet Hospital we went to. I like her alot, she was very straight forward and didn't try to just shove antibiotics down him and push us out the door! She wanted it off and now so i said ok.
I felt the lump this morning and it feels like the same size so that's good. Im going to do a check morning and night until surgery. Just to make sure it doesn't grow. If it starts to grow i'm going to try and push him into surgery faster, but the Vet hospital we go to does all animals, one of their other main specialities besides dogs and cats is horses, we live about 15 minutes from Ocala and that's the Horse Capital of the world SO you can see how they get swamped with surgeries there. The hospital is huge! They are the best though in the county. All our County Deputies K9's go there! I've always taken my animals there, only once i took them to another vet that i will never go to again!
I am hoping and praying its just a little fatty cyst and benign! Let's all give some good puppy vibes and prayers to Bolt Please and Thank You!

Old 13th December 2012, 05:54 PM
Boxer Insane

I know all about Ocala and the beautiful horse farms there. I grew up a little over an hour away on the other side of the forest in DeLand. I am so glad you have a good vet as they can sometimes be hard to find. Lots of positive healthy (((vibes))) coming to Bolt!

Old 16th December 2012, 07:17 PM
Boxer Pal

Quote:
I know all about Ocala and the beautiful horse farms there. I grew up a little over an hour away on the other side of the forest in DeLand. I am so glad you have a good vet as they can sometimes be hard to find. Lots of positive healthy (((vibes))) coming to Bolt!
Deland, I went to Stetson University Deland is such a quaint little town. Yes I will know more Tuesday evening once Bolt is done and back home from surgery. Now our other boxer yesterday broke half of his tooth on who knows what, he has been salivating alot and it bleed a tiny bit lastnight. i believe the pulp is showing he isn't showing any pain, he eats and drinks water fine, but i can tell it bothers him at times. we will be taking him with us tuesday morning to have one of the vets there take a look at it to see if we need to get it extracted. more vibes to him as well. They are both around the same age (2 yrs) and do everything together so ofcourse they both have problems right now hehehe.