Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 6th September 2012, 08:24 PM
Boxer Booster

Question about vomiting after Trifexis...

Hey there! I'm wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on whether I should re-dose Dutch for flea/heartworm/tick etc prevention.
Dutch was due today for his 3rd round of Trifexis, so I picked it up at the vet, and gave it to him between 4-4:30pm, then I fed him shortly after that. At about 6:30pm, Dutch started to get a wee bit agitated and then vomited all over the floor.....A LOT....then about 5 minutes later, he vomited again. This is the 3rd time he has received Trifexis, but the 1st time he has had any major issue from it, however, now that I read up a bit more about it, I think I will be switching him to Revolution instead.
Anyways, I called my vet to let them know, and they are recommending I bring him in on Monday to redose him with a different flea/heartworm etc control.....namely Sentinel. My question is.....would 2 hours not be enough time for the Trifexis to be into his system?? The Trifexis website says that if a dog vomits within an hour after taking the pill, then you should redose....but Dutch was a little more than 2 hours after.
I want to make sure he's protected, but I also don't want to re-dose if I don't have too.
What are your thoughts.

Old 6th September 2012, 09:08 PM
Boxer Insane

If he vomited 2 hours after the fact I'd be inclined to believe it's probably not an effective dosing.

Personally, if this were my dog I would do a re-dosing of JUST a heartworm preventative. Usually, at least with the ivermectin-based preventatives, it is a suuuuuper low dosage so even if you re-dosed him, he's really not getting that much of the drug; even a dog sensitive to ivermectin could still take a Heartgard without any ill effects. I don't know how prevalent fleas/ticks are in your area, but they are not even on my list of concerns which is why I wouldn't mind taking my chances on that; he may have absorbed some if it, I don't know.

Or, I'd probably just do what the vet thought best.
The Following User Says Thank You to whiskers For This Useful Post:
MrsBeeks (7th September 2012)