Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 23rd July 2012, 10:24 AM
Boxer Booster

Question Large lump on top and side of tail.

My boxer, Ziggy, has a large lump that developed above and to the right side of his tail. It first appeared about a month ago, but never seemed to bother him and eventually went down. Now, it has returned. From everything I have researched, I don't believe it is a swollen anal gland due to it's location. It feels firm but somewhat pliable to the touch and does not seem to bother him in the least. He never tries to reach it, doesn't scoot his butt on the floor, and doesn't mind if we touch it. It just looks bad. Not quite sure of his age because he was a rescue in 2005, but we think somewhere around 8 1/2. Anyone have a similar experience or any idea what it might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 23rd July 2012, 11:11 AM
Boxer Booster

Our boy had a lump right under his tail. I didn't even notice it until I took him for his shots and the vet noticed it. Of course boxers are known for their lumps and bumps. We did have it biopsied and it was benign thank goodness. But any lump on a boxer is a potential problem. I'd keep a real close eye on it and possibly have it biopsied if they can do it without putting asleep. If it changes at all I'd definitely have it biopsied.

Old 23rd July 2012, 02:39 PM
Boxer Insane

I would go in and have the vet look at it and at the very least have a needle aspiration done. Bumps on boxers are always something that should be checked. Especially as they get older. My boy was 8 when he had a mct removed. Thankfully, we have not seen another one and he is 11 now.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 10th August 2012, 12:22 AM
Boxer Booster

Red face Waiting to hear...

Ziggy's swollen area did not go down, so we went to the vet today and she shaved his rear to look for a thorn or bite. There were no marks so she performed a needle biopsy. The lump is about 2.5 inches wide and curves from the top of his tail down and around. It actually pushes his tail to one side. She told me quite a bit of blood came out with the fluid. However, she didn't say what that could mean. (???) Anyway, I should know by tomorrow or Monday. I also showed her a small bump on his side that my husband said was a scab...I disagreed, as a closer inspection shows the lump is shiny and smooth, blackish-gray in color with a couple of red dots. Vet agreed with me and said it is not a scab. However, she didn't say much else except, "We'll look at that when we decide the treatment needed for the first bump." (Surgery or just draining it, depending on lab results.) I think from my research, the small lump on his side is probably an MCT or hystoma (sp?). Neither lump seems to bother him at all. He never licks or scratches them, has a great appetite, and plays as much as a boy his age can. Also, the small lump really has not grown since it first appeared a couple of months ago. Just recently the fur fell off. I am hoping for the best. He is a sweet, sweet boy and my girl, Jaz, would be lost without him, not to mention the family.

Old 13th August 2012, 10:00 AM
Boxer Booster

I hope for the best for you and Ziggy.

Old 14th August 2012, 10:07 PM
Boxer Booster

Talking Ziggy is cancer free!!

The doctor called today to say that the biopsy results were negative for cancer! yea! however, when she tried to drain the lump, nothing would come out. Surgery would have to be referred out since her office cannot do an operation involving the Area around the rectum where it might be attached. She went on to say that as long as he is healthy, happy, eating, and pooping, we should just keep an eye on it and let him enjoy his life. She also told us that surgery (minimum $1000) might not even get it all and could require a long recovery period and maybe even a skin graft. So, for now, we are just letting him be his goofy self and keeping a close eye on it. If I knew how to post a photo from my iPad or phone, I would post one to see what everyone thinks. Thanks for the offers of advice and concerns about my boy. He is my sweetheart! :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to iluvjoeboxer For This Useful Post:
Gatorblu (15th August 2012)

Old 15th August 2012, 01:24 AM
Boxer Insane

Great news! I bet you finally let out that breath you didn't know you were holding.

If you want to post a pic send it to a photo sharing site (photobucket, flickr, picasa) and grab the link and post that.