Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 24th June 2012, 04:26 PM
Boxer Pal

Monster got stung by a bee... we think

To preface this, Friday had been a scary day, he woke up early, then threw up some bile/mucous and a couple of pieces of stick, then that evening he did not want to eat, which is entirely unheard of, then he went outside and couldn't throw up, even though he was trying and he also couldn't poop, so i was trying not to freak out and think about bloat symptoms, then he laid around and was really lethargic, until, all of a sudden, he seemed a lot better, and ate his dinner.... later that evening, about 1am he pooped a giant piece of wood.... it was gross..... but he was back to normal, and then came sunday.

So, we went to the park, where this is a nice river/stream/creek thing, and we were all having fun, then all of a sudden Monster starts wiping his right front paw on the ground and running in a circle, then he wipes his face/body along the ground, he will sometimes do this, but not with this much intensity and erraticness.... i immediately thought he'd been stung, we were walking through grass, my husband felt the leg and said he thought he felt the stinger, but Monster pulled it away to wipe it again and again... we sat down, and made Monster lie down, while we calmed him, he seemed like he was ready to go again, had stopped wiping his paw and face/body, so we headed to the creek.... we got in splashed around, Monster seems to enjoy the water at a medium intensity, then, all of a sudden, he threw up.... about 3 times. We thought that maybe it was something left over from friday, so we stayed out a little longer. Monster is a very itchy little guy, we think its grass allergy, and he is on a grain free food, but anyway, he started to itch at his face, when this happens i will usually go and itch for him, cos he tears himself up with his nails.... when i was itching him, i noticed his eye lid was swollen, i pointed it out to DH and we started to leave immediately. We were in the car on the way home, and the swelling was getting worse and worse, both eyes, his paw where he had been stung and his whole muzzle, all big and puffy, it was alarming hard too, he was trying to rub his little face on me. I called a friend who does dog rescue work and she suggested Benadryl, so as soon as we got home we gave him two tabs, that was about 3 hours ago, the swelling has gone down some, and he has eaten dinner just fine.

I made sure he wasn't having problems breathing, he also broke out in hives on his body, but that seems to have gone away as well... of course this would happen on a Sunday afternoon, am going to call the vet tomorrow, see if he has any other advice...

While i was very worried about him, i also was able to take some pictures of him... they were taken after we'd administered the Benadryl.

IMG_6839 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_6847 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_6845 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_6849 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_6859 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

his eyes didn't swell completely shut, but it was close with the right one, which was the side he got stung on, interestingly....
Sponsored Links

Old 24th June 2012, 04:37 PM
Boxer Insane

Your poor baby! That looks awful! I would give him another dose of benedryl 8 hrs after the original. When Arabella broke out in hives from head to toe the vet told me to keep her on the benedryl for 3 days. I would call your vet in the am and ask if that is what he would suggest, but I would defnitely give him another dose tonight. You don't want it to wear off and swell back up. Lots of healing ((((vibes)))) being sent!
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 24th June 2012, 04:48 PM
Boxer Pal

thanks GatorBlu, will definitely give him more Benadryl and also call the vet at 8am. Monster wasn't whiney or anything at all, just looks sorry for himself and was rubbing his face as it was swelling.... it was so odd how hard/swollen his muzzle got. he's laying on the couch, sleeping it off as i type... poor little soldier... i have heard that the sensitivity gets worse with age, he's only 6 months right now... looks like i'm going to develop a fear of bees and walking through grass....

Old 24th June 2012, 11:04 PM
Boxer Insane

You can put a cold compress on him to help with the swelling and itchiness. If that is his first time reaction I would talk to the vet about an epi pen or something. I would hate to see what his next reaction will be and I hope you never find out.

Old 25th June 2012, 02:05 AM
Boxer Insane

Toby got stung twice in the last month both times in his jowl because the silly thing chases and stomps every bee that he sees (silly dog). I gave him 50mgs of benadyl every 6 hours for two days and it did great on the swelling. Your baby looks miserable, and I hope he gets to feeling better soon! Good luck
Kiefer (25th June 2012)

Old 25th June 2012, 06:12 AM
Boxer Pal

Just spoke to the vet, they just said we did everything right, and because he's eating and acting like a silly head already again this morning that we should keep an eye on him for lethargy, and not being himself type things. I mentioned an epi pen, and she didn't say that they sell/give those out, just that they have shots if it happens again, so i may call another vet and see if i can get one from somewhere..... He's back to normal again this morning, running round play growling at 8am, tripping up the stairs (this is normal) he's six months old and looks like a deer with his long legs that he doesn't know what to do with most of the time. Thanks

Old 25th June 2012, 06:57 AM
Boxer Pal

Joannaryan, did Toby's reaction get as big/bad as Monsters? i know you said he got stung on the jowel, so maybe thats where the swelling came from, but Monster got stung in the paw, so i was wondering if Toby has had the swelling reaction any other time??

Old 25th June 2012, 07:16 AM
Boxer Insane

[QUOTE=Kiefer;1366947]Joannaryan, did Toby's reaction get as big/bad as Monsters? i know you said he got stung on the jowel, so maybe thats where the swelling came from, but Monster got stung in the paw, so i was wondering if Toby has had the swelling reaction any other time??[/QUOT,E]

Toby's whole jowl and one of his eyes swelled. I posted a pic in show off section when he got stung asking for help, lol. It should still be there. That has been the only time that he has had any swelling reaction, 2 stings, 2 swellings. I'm sure they all react differently from the stings. I said that I should buy stock in benadryl! Good luck, and I hope that helps you