Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 10th June 2012, 05:13 PM
Boxer Pal

Question BOXER LIMPING, elbow dysplasia

Has anyone had any experience with elbow dysplasia. My male boxer Jet was diagnosed as a puppy with panosteoitis. They tod me it was bassically growing pains. He is now 4 yrs old and started slowing down with activity and has a limp. Now all he wants to do is sleep. I took him to the vet and after being put under for xrays they say it is a problem with corenal process or known as elbow dysplasia. He is going to an otherpedic surgeon this week. I have no idea what to expect from the surgeon. My vet said there is probably nothing that they can do to correct it. Is he going to become a cripple or will meds help him for the rest of his life. I just feel awfull because he allways used to harass me and attack me for fun. He does not really do anything but walk around or lay down. He is not himself so I would guess he is in pain. any help or suggestion are greatly appreciated
thanks Jay and Jet
Sponsored Links

Old 11th June 2012, 09:42 AM
Boxer Insane

I have never heard of elbow dysplasia but I did a quick search and the info is a bit mixed. Some say surgery can help and others say surgery is not an option. I believe it is probably a case by case situation. One thing the articles did agree on is arthritis is your main concern as your dogs ages. Considering how young your dog is I would ask about stem cell therapy. (They take the stem cells from the fat in you dog.) I don't know if that is an option with elbow dysplasia or not, but I think it is something to ask about.

Here is links to two of the articles I read. Elbow Dysplasia in Dogs and Puppies and Elbow Dysplasia

And this site has a video explaining stem cell. Medivet America | Dog Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy | Stem Cell Therapy for Equine | Regenerative Veterinary Medicine
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13
The Following User Says Thank You to Gatorblu For This Useful Post:
gena03 (11th June 2012)

Old 11th June 2012, 12:05 PM
Boxer Buddy

I have some experience with elbow dysplasia. I took Zoe to the vet around December last year because she was limping so bad on her right leg. The vet took X-rays and could see where the problem was. I'm not positive on the terms he used, as it has been a while and we have had many more issues since then. He did not recommend surgery in her case, but gave her a depomedrol shot. It did wonders for her, but only lasted about 6 weeks. The shots are pretty strong so the vet did not want to give them too often. The last resort was going to be direct injections (I'm sorry but I can't remember what kind of injection) into the elbow joint. But that can also be hard on the joint, even though it would significantly help pain and limping. Zoe has since been diagnosed with lymphoma, so we have not gotten the shot again because she is on prednisone for the lymphoma. But I recommend looking into it.
I'm sorry that my info is somewhat vague, but I hope it helps a little.
Jack~rottweiler-05-04-02

Old 11th June 2012, 12:25 PM
Boxer Pal

thanks

thanks .. Sorry to hear about Zoe .. I hope she feels better. Today I have scheduled him with 2 different Otherpedic surgeons this week on thurs & fri. I guess I'll have to listen to them both and go with the directions from one of them. One of them that I spoke with today say at the very minimum they can make him comfortable.

Old 15th June 2012, 09:32 AM
Boxer Pal

update

Jet went to the Otho surgeon yesterday. Doctor says surgury is not the way to go right now. He wants to put the dog on meloxicam and rest him. He also was not too int othe xrays as he says some dogs are do fine when there x ray look awful and vice versa. He says he needs to treat the dog not the photo. Jet also has possible a sprain or shoulder injury so he needs some down time and we will take him back in two weeks to re evaluate his progress or lack of. I have to start looking into Chondroitin and stuff for him ... so any suggestions are helpfull thanks

Old 6th July 2012, 04:06 AM
Boxer Booster

hi there

i was just wondering how jet was getting on? my 14 month old has also had similar problems. he started limping a few weeks ago and the vet said he couldnt feel anything obvious wrong with him and told me to lead walk for ten days which i did and it helped a bit but as soon as i let him off after the ten days were up, of course he ran around and is limping again. My last boxer had the same and ended up with arthritis - something i really hope isnt going to happen with wilf. i expect i will have to go down the xray route - did jet have xrays?

Old 6th July 2012, 07:16 AM
Boxer Pal

Jet is doing ok. I took him to a Orthopedic surgeon who did all the x-rays, he was on metacam for two weeks and I've been talking to a vet in Australia who promotes Glycanaid supplements. They were a little expensive but both the surgeon and the vet want him on Glucosamine and Chondroitin. I'm also giving him Flexerna (Perna muscle extract) If your dog does not stop limping in a week or two ask your vet for a refferal to an Orthopedic surgeon to do the xray. (they know the problems better and they usually do not have to put the dog under anethesia) I am walking Jet a lot but I also know if he does one of his gorilla runs (looks like a freak but it's very funny) he will start limping again. When he was young he was diagnosed with Panosteitis and I think it was really elbow dysplasia. That's why I told you to get your dog to the Ortho. I feel Jet could have had it corrected with surgury when he was younger. But so far he is doing well with Supps and exercise, the biggest thing is he is happy again (must be no pain) and always moving around. The is alot of good info here Dog Arthritis Blog

hope this helps Jay

Old 6th July 2012, 12:52 PM
Boxer Booster

Thankyou for your advice capecod - I have to say I am worried about Wilf as rest appears not to have helped so I think another vet trip is due Wilf doesn't appear to be in pain but I don't want him limping forever more especially as he is so young.