Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2012, 05:06 PM
Super Boxer

Unhappy Pads on Feet - Overgrowth

Has anyone had problems with the pads on the front feet getting a funges of some kind on theme and causing the pads to get a hard growth on them. When Sable tries to chew them they get really soft (almost hairy like) and I can clip it off but when dry it is hard as can be. A vet tech told me there was nothing to prevent it and that I could file it off. I've tried filing it but it doesn't work. It is pushing her toes so close together it rubbing a blister. If no one here has any suggestions, guess the vet is the next stop. Vet tech said as dogs get older it just happens and sometimes happens on the nose too.
Sponsored Links

Old 21st May 2012, 08:17 AM
Super Boxer

I'm not sure, but I thought I read that it is a sign of thyroid problems. Maybe someone here knows more about it.
Rocco & Dino: RIP - IMHF

Old 21st May 2012, 10:41 AM
Super Boxer

Red face nasodigital hyperkeratosis

Just discovered from another boxer mom that the condition is " nasodigital hyperkeratosis ". No cure but can be somewhat managed. It occurs usually in older dogs and effects the pad, nose or both. If left alone it can be very painful for dog trying to walk when the overgrowth gets really hard and cracks open. Only treatment is removing the over growth with a dremel or have vet to cut it off. It will return but once it is taken off soaking the foot in a solution (I have to find what kind) will keep it soft and able to be trimmed back. My girl is limping right now because she has chewed a good portion off of one pad and got it too close. If anyone else has dealt with this problem and had success please post.

Old 21st May 2012, 11:14 AM
Boxer Insane

I have never heard of this. I just wanted to send some good healthy ((((vibes)))) to Sable!
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13
The Following User Says Thank You to Gatorblu For This Useful Post:
Sablegirl (21st May 2012)

Old 21st May 2012, 11:30 AM
Boxer Insane

I found this article from Whole Dog Journal. I has been altered because the the site I got it from didn't want to mention their competition. Whole Dog Journal | The Blissful Dog I tried to get the whole unaltered article but you have to be a subscriber to do so. If you chose to spend the $20 for a year's subcription, the article was originally published in their Aug 2011 newsletter. The part about Nasodigital Hyperkeratosis is about 1/4-1/3 of the way down on the page. I think the solution you were looking to soak you pups feet in is a solution of 50-percent propylene glycol.

I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gatorblu For This Useful Post:

Old 21st May 2012, 12:36 PM
Super Boxer

yes, it's called hyperkeratosis and I haven't dealt with it for many years but there was a topical gel called Kerasolv that worked very well.

Old 21st May 2012, 05:28 PM
Super Boxer

Thanks, was told that product is no longer available. Thanks much. I'm going to get a Dremel and get as much off as I can and then start the soaking and using Bio Balm onions her feet at night. Any suggestionss on how to keep socks on her feet through the night?

Old 21st May 2012, 05:38 PM
Super Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorblu View Post
I found this article from Whole Dog Journal. I has been altered because the the site I got it from didn't want to mention their competition. Whole Dog Journal | The Blissful Dog I tried to get the whole unaltered article but you have to be a subscriber to do so. If you chose to spend the $20 for a year's subcription, the article was originally published in their Aug 2011 newsletter. The part about Nasodigital Hyperkeratosis is about 1/4-1/3 of the way down on the page. I think the solution you were looking to soak you pups feet in is a solution of 50-percent propylene glycol.

I hope this helps.

I read the article and 50% propylene glycol is what couldn't think of. Looks like even though not a lot of people know, it can be very debilitating to some dogs. One of the articles mentioned even having to put dogs down because of so much pain when trying to walk. I'm going to try the recommended treatment of using a dremel and get as much off as possible and soaking her feet in the 50% propylene glycol, then putting Bio Balm on her feet at night and cover her feet with socks. Treatment say to do twice a day for 2 weeks and then once a week ongoing. There is no cure; just treatment. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks much.

Old 21st May 2012, 05:44 PM
Super Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srennie View Post
yes, it's called hyperkeratosis and I haven't dealt with it for many years but there was a topical gel called Kerasolv that worked very well.

Was told Kerasolv was no longer available but I'm not sure if that is true or not althought every site I went to shows it on backorder. Will try the Bio Balm and see how it does. Again thanks so much.

Old 21st May 2012, 06:32 PM
Super Boxer

You are right, I found a few sites that show it on back order or out of stock. I wonder why?? I've used it on my dogs in the past and it works really well.
The Following User Says Thank You to srennie For This Useful Post: