Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 25th January 2012, 08:39 AM
Boxer Buddy

Unhappy Liver Mass :( (long...sorry!)

Hello all,

Its been a while since Ive posted here, but I keep coming to check on the website, and to ask for advice from all the boxer lovers out here. Today I am not writing to ask for advice, I just think I need to talk, and get lots of healing vibes from you for my little baby.

We were doing a routine examination for my Gigi, who will turn 11 in March and her liver function report showed extremely levels of liver enzymes. SHe was put on a liver tonic and we repeated the examination after 2 weeks and the levels had dropped considerably so the vet asked us to continue with the medication.

A week after this, on the 9th of Jan she had an epilepsy fit. We got so scared! We had never seen anything like this before. She started shaking and her mouth and tongue had become totally white. We thought she was having a heart attack so we were trying to rub her chest but she just wasnt responding. My mum immediately put a few drops of rescue remedy and it immediately brought her back. We rushed her to the vet. After this she was so weak! She couldnt even walk. She was just falling over all the time. The vet gave her a shot and put her on Gardenal and B complex. The vet said that the seizure could be because of the liver as well, and that we would have to repeat the liver function test after 2 weeks. She didnot have any episode of seizures after this, and we had decided to wean her off gardenal. We decided to give her one tab every alternate day.

Over the weekend she ran really high fever and so we did a urine test on Monday and she had a urine infection. The vet put her on an anitbiotic, and and told us continue with the gardenal as the fever could trigger another incident. We were asked to do an ultrasound as well.

We got an ultrasound done today and she has this huge mass on the liver. The vet says that one of her kidneys is not functioning well as it is being pushed because of the tumor. She has been drinking a lot of water actually and not being peeing as much as she normally would if she drank so much water..this has been happening since the last 2 days. Her appetite is also not good. We thought that was because of the fever. The ultrasound report also says that there are few cystic lesions in the liver.

We were able to get an appointment for a full CT scan only on Tuesday. For now we've just put her off grains and carbs.

I am just so scared, and Tuesday seems so far away. I just want to know now, so that we can start whatever treatment that is needed. Ive been such a wreck ever since I have come back from the doctor.

Life with Gigi has been such a journey. We've been through so much together, right from incontinence, to a grade II MCT to spondylosis to an enlarged heart to hyperplasia to cataract. I think she's been such fighter, my brave little girl. She's always been so good at the vet's, never ever cried or whined. Even after her episode with epilepsy, when she was so weak and we were taking her to the vet, she was wiggling so much in my arms just becoz she wanted to chase the cats from the building. My mad girl!

Today I am just so low and depressed and I dont want to be near her coz I know she senses my emotions. When I came back home and sobbed on my pillow she just came and pushed head inside and licked me all over my ace, as though to console me. This made me cry even more.

Please send healing vibes for my Gigi...I just hope we are able to deal with whatever comes out of the CT scan on Tuesday!
Sponsored Links

Old 25th January 2012, 08:58 AM
Boxer Booster

I am sorry to hear about gigi . I have never been through this before with my boxer she is only 2 but I can only imagine because she is my world as well . The one thing we do battle with is allergies and the itching . We will say some prayers for you and gigi! Things will all work out .

Old 25th January 2012, 09:45 AM
Super Boxer

I am so sorry My heart is hurting for you, we are going through health problems over here to so I can relate to what you are going through.....
Sending lots of healing vibes your way....be strong.

Old 25th January 2012, 09:51 AM
Boxer Insane

Lots of positive, healthy (((((vibes))))) to Gigi, and hugs and calming (((vibes))) to you.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 25th January 2012, 09:58 AM
Boxer Insane

Awww poor Gigi. Sending lots of <<<<positive vibes>>>> to both of you
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...f/IMG_0124.jpg

Old 25th January 2012, 10:34 AM
Boxer Buddy

Thank you all for the healing vibes! We really need them! Gigi sends lots of slobbery kisses

Old 25th January 2012, 09:17 PM
Super Boxer

Thinking positive thoughts for both you and Gigi. Try to stay calm and keep on loving her! She'll feel better just knowing you're OK. (L)

Old 8th February 2012, 12:28 PM
Boxer Buddy

Update

Hi,

Just wanted to give you'll an update on Gigi. So we finally got the results of the CT scan this morning, and the tumour is not on her liver, it is attached to the intestines.

I am so relieved! We still need to get a solution for this, but at least it seems like it can be dealt with. The vets had told us that they wouldnt be able to do anything if the tumor was on the liver.

We have an appointment for tomorrow with her regular doctor to decide on how to go about with an operation.

Thank you so much for the healing vibes. Please continue to do so as we decide on the next steps for my baby.

Old 8th February 2012, 12:41 PM
Boxer Insane

That's good news! I am sending prayers and positive (((vibes))) that the surgery goes well and your baby is well on her way to healing!

Old 8th February 2012, 02:09 PM
Boxer Insane

Good luck with the appointment tomorrow! continuing to send positive vibes your way

Old 11th February 2012, 05:26 AM
Boxer Buddy

surgery

Thank you for all your support!

So the vet is suggesting that we open her up to see exactly where the tumor is, and then try to remove it.

According to the CT scan report it is: "the lesion is seen in close approximation with the stomach and the inferior aspect of liver with an ill-defined plane of separation"

Because of its position she said she's not sure whether she would be able to remove it. Moreover, we still do not know of the malignancy. The tumor is very large (4.4 inches x 2 inches) and could be touching the stomach as well.

And then there is the danger of anesthesia and surgery on an 11 year old (nearly).

The two options she has given us are to go ahead aggresively and operate on her, or just let her be, which would mean that the tumor will grow and then it would be really painful for her. At that time we would have to put her down.

This is such a difficult choice to make. I am wondering if we should put her through surgery and then have the risk of her not even coming out of it, or just let her be and deal with what happens.

Anyone can please advise me on this? Do you think 11 is too old for surgery? Anyone performed surgeries on older dogs

Old 11th February 2012, 09:07 AM
Boxer Insane

Only you can decide what is best for your pup. Thor was 9 1/2 yrs old when he had his last surgery. However, it was clear that the surgery would only improve his quality of life. It was a risk because he does have heart issues, but without it he would have died. If they had told me there was a reasonable risk that he was going to have ongoing problems I don't know that I would have done it. But I was assured it was only going to improve things for him. He had two blockages in his urethra and had to be "rerouted". He now has a "hole" that his urine exits from behind his penis. He kind of resembles a girl when he relieves himself. We joke he is a transgender dog. It has been over a year and he is doing great. He'll be 11 in May.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gatorblu For This Useful Post:
Gigi myworld (11th February 2012)