Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 1st August 2011, 08:28 PM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy Sores on my boxer's head

I recently moved to a new area which happens to have an extreme flea problem. After more than a month of battling fleas we seem to be all clear. However, over the last week my boxer has developed hives on his back and sides (about the size of a large pea each) and open oozing sores on the back of his neck and head. The sores scab over and then break open again. When they started it looked like clusters of blisters all over his head in large round spots. Ive been rinsing his head with clean water and applying triple antibiotic with pain reliever. However, it hasnt been improving at all and he has been developing new sores daily (about quarter sized at the start) Ollie has always had sensitive skin, I only use oatmeal sensitive skin dog shampoos, I dont allow him outside longer than necessary to go potty and we take walks during low temperatures and late evenings to reduce his sun exposure (he is a fawn but his father was a white boxer and he has TONS of white markings so I work hard to maintain his skin knowing his sensitivity) I havent changed foods lately, my dogs get lamb and rice dog food with raw egg cracked on their breakfast bowls 3-4 times a week and 1/2lb of cooked hamburger daily to keep up their protein. Ollie is 2 1/2 years old and going thru his "fill out stage" I take their diets and exercise very seriously. The dogs dont get rawhide or tennis balls, only jumbo pork femurs every 2-3 days and I dispose of the bones once they chew off the meat and ends. Ollie is a MASSIVE boxer. He stands over 5 foot tall on his hind legs and weighs 115 right now. He has a lean and muscular build, almost no body fat and lots of extra skin to grow into still. His head is almost as large as a basketball. After the last couple of years of maintaining his skin so delicately I am devastated to see his fur in this condition. He has a vet appointment tomorrow to be assessed but I am hoping to get some clues as to what could possibly be going on with him. He isnt acting differently other than trying to itch at his head and hives. Nothing has changed in our environment (furniture, soaps, air fresheners, etc) We moved to our new home 6 months ago. The weather has been humid and hot lately but I keep the dogs in a steady 72 degrees. I cant think of anything that could have caused this outbreak on his body. Any suggestions? Ollie is my baby, he sleeps in my bed, goes on car rides with me, we have our walks and wrestle and play fetch... hes an active and wonderful companion. I hate not knowing whats going on with him I havent been able to give him his favorite ear scratchings because I am afraid to irritate his sore. Its really making things difficult in his daily routine Ive even banned my daughters from touching him until the vet assesses him...
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd August 2011, 10:44 AM
Boxer Insane

There still can be something new in your yard that he is allergic to. Even tho' he isn't spending much time out there, you, kids and other pets can bring it in. Everyone needs to wash up, shoes stay outside, when they come in. Vacuuming, mopping and dusting should be done often as well as changing the air filter. I know it is alot of work because I have done it. Have you been giving benedryl for the hives? If not talk to your vet about dosage or if maybe claritan would be better. I hope your boy is better soon!
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 2nd August 2011, 03:33 PM
Boxer Pal

Ollie saw the vet today. Turns out he contracted a staph infection through a flea bite. SOOOOO after being shaved, having his sores scraped to the point of bleeding, being washed, sterilized and getting 5 shots he is home and the tranquilizers are wearing off so hes much less wobbly. He is on 1000mgs of antibiotics a day for the next 10 days and hopefully then he will be all better... Hes pretty mad he isnt allowed to eat for the rest of the day but he got sick when they gave him the tranquilizer so hes off foods until morning... Which for a big fat boy is purely terrible. Ill make it up to him and cook him some bacon in the morning

Old 2nd August 2011, 06:29 PM
Boxer Insane

Poor boy! I hope Ollie has a quick recovery! I haven't dealt with staph, but others on here have. Sending lot of healing ((vibes)) to your boy!

Old 2nd August 2011, 07:56 PM
Boxer Pal

thanks he looks better already but his head still smells bad. I have to clean it twice a day and give him pills twice a day for 10 days. I hear it takes about a week to look and smell more normal. Hes hating not gettin his ears scratched hard right now... once his sores are closed up I definitely owe him a good scratching

Old 5th August 2011, 03:08 PM
Boxer Pal

My boxer had this same issue with hives and scabbing sores from allergies.. my vet put him on an antihistamine and a steroid that was costing me around $60 a month, and it didn't even work that well!!

I did some research online and found a product called Vets Best: Seasonal Allergy Support. It's $11 for 60 tablets at my local pet store, and it works WONDERFULLY, even better then any medication he was ever prescribed! It has only herbal/natural ingredients, which is great because my boy is very stomach-sensitive. It's definitely worth a try! It cleared up everything within a couple of days.

I will say that I forgot to put the supplement in his food once and he had a breakout the next day, so definitely try not to forget if you do decide to use it!

Old 7th August 2011, 06:46 PM
Boxer Insane

Caney once got a horrible staph infection on her belly resulting from a reaction to flea bites. After two rounds of steroids and antibiotics which seemed to only temporarily mask the problem, I finally decided to switch Caney to a limited ingredient food. Once I did, most of her skin issues disappeared.

When a dog is dealing with multiple allergies or skin irritations at once (in Caney's case, fleas; food (what specific ingredient isstill a mystery); and environmental (pollen, grass)), the reactions to each individual trigger can be much more severe. Once on a better food, she stopped having such severe reactions to flea bites. I also started using more natural/gentle products around the house and on the dogs, such as dye-free/perfume-free laundry detergent and all-natural dog shampoo. I also stopped using monthly flea treatment on the dogs, opting for an all-natural spray instead that is much more gentle.
Photo Album