Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 19th July 2011, 11:15 AM
Boxer Insane

Kidney Problems?

Hi i havent been on here in a very long time but after the news i just got i thought id better get back on. Our Puppy Roxy who is 10 mo went in for a late spay yesterday and they couldnt do it because Kidney levels were high. They sent urine to the lab along with blood work and levels still showed high. im going to attempt to get a urine sample tomorrow morning after a 12 hour food fast and see what that shows. i just was wondering if anyone who has a boxer with kidney problems could give me a little insight on this disease with our Boxers. it just makes me so sad to know if this is the issue she will not live a very long life. Thank you.
Boxers are really people with short legs and fur coats
Sponsored Links

Old 21st July 2011, 07:38 AM
Boxer Insane

Hope you got some news on what they think the issue is. I don't have much info on kidney issues but wanted you to know that we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Old 21st July 2011, 08:36 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I also have no experience with kidney issues. But I'm wishing you guys luck, and sending healthy (((vibes))). Also, Zoe sends kisses!

Old 25th July 2011, 03:35 PM
Boxer Booster

I can help!

Our oldest boxer Cash (will be 3 in Nov.) was diagnosed at 10 months old with juvenile renal disease, and we have been managing it ever since. You can see my post with his latest kidney levels, and he's not doing great. I switched his food, so I'm sure I can get his numbers back down before his next check next Jan. by putting him back on Hill's k/d. I have tried MANY different food options and supplements, and have found what works for us (especially after the new food trial wasn't successful). What were your girl's levels (BUN, phosphorous, creatinine)?
~cat - Dinah **RIP Jinx 3/02 - 9/10**

Old 27th July 2011, 02:44 PM
Boxer Pal

Too much protein?

We went through something similar. Creatinine levels were 275 (I think normal is below 108?) when we took Moxie in for her spay in October, and it was cancelled. Our vet said that she's seen the problem in young dogs on high protein diets - Moxie was on a 33% protein, grain-free food. She suggested putting her on a super low-protein food temporarily to bring the creatinine levels down, and that worked. Her levels went back to normal over the course of 6 weeks on the low-protein food. We've since switched to a more moderate-protein diet (22%) and been on that for quite some time (since December, right after the spay). We had her creatinine levels checked twice since then (most recently 2 weeks ago) and they've remained normal.

I know the popular consensus is that a high-protein grain-free food is best, but it proved to be too much for our dog.

Old 30th July 2011, 03:01 PM
Super Boxer

We also have the same problem with Millie. She was diagnosed with kidney disease when she was 6/7mos old and she will also be 3 in November. Like Lesley and Cash, we have been managing it since with pretty regular checks of her levels, lots of hydration and also diet changes. We have actually seen improvement since we switched Millie to the Solid Gold Holistique Blends food which is a higher quality food than the prescription foods you can get (although it didn't appear to work for Cash). We had Millie's levels checked today and they were back down to almost normal range. (BUN at 28 from 59 in March)

I would just suggest getting as much information as possible, talking to your vet about all of the options (although most don't know too much re: nutrition and will push you towards the brand of prescription food they sell), and then trying different diet options to find what works best for you.

Unfortunately with kidney disease, it never goes away, but there is no telling how quickly the disease is actually progressing. It's not great news, but you can hope for the best.

Old 30th July 2011, 07:10 PM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy kidney problems

We just joined Boxer World today. We have a boxer girl who is 2 & was diagnosed w/Stage 2 Renal Failure. Her BUN is 64/told by vet, normal range is 8-30. Creatinine is 3.3/told by vet, normal range is 0.5-1.8. Protein level in urine was high.
Our only indication anything was wrong was when she started to pee in her crate at night & small amount of urine leakage during the day.
Vet gave her a poor prognosis, switched her to Royal Canin w/11% protein and low phosphorus & suggested Rx Enalapril. We followed her advice & gradually switched to the low protein food, but we are tryiing naturopathic drops called Tripsy from Petwellbeing.com.

In 2 weeks we return for more blood work/urinalysis. Stelly continues to have urine leakage & needs to be in doggy diapers when in the house. Even when relaxing on the deck, she leaks.

We are hopeful...this is our new normal. You wouldn't know anything is wrong with her. Shiny coat, clear eyes, lots of boxer energy.