Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 7th June 2011, 07:46 PM
Boxer Booster

Boxer with upset stomach

My 5 year old boxer has been getting an upset stomach lately quite often. She will suddenly start licking her lips real fast and want to go out to eat grass. She usually stays outside for a half hour to an hour. This can happen multiple times during the night.
The vet says to give her a Pepcid AC when it happens. I haven't done that yet. Does anyone have any other home remedies? Is this known to affect boxers very often?
For the record she eats about 2-3 cups of Acana Prairie Harvest dry dog food a day. We don't give her any table scraps, but we do give her an occasional liver treat.

Old 8th June 2011, 05:57 AM
Boxer Insane

Boxers are prone to tummy issues. IMO, Pepcid isn't something to give to CURE an upset tummy (from personal experience) but more so to aid in preventing one.
I'd do a trial run with Pepcid daily for a couple of weeks to see if you notice much of a difference.
Is she a free feeder? You mentioned 2-3 cups a day and I assume you put that in her bowl and sometimes she eats it all and other times not? If she is a free feeder perhaps she is going too long without eating and going through what we call "empty belly syndrome". Quite common and easily corrected with making sure something is in there especially right before bed to eliminate sickness during the middle of the night or upon waking.
So many things can cause an upset tummy. It is easier to just start with something simple like the Pepcid trial than trying to find other culprits. If the Pepcid offers help but doesn't entirely correct the problem then you should consider basic testing to see if something is amiss with her health. Thyroid issues in a 5 year old wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities and are known to cause stomach issues.
You didn't mention any other symptoms so it doesn't sound like anything serious but still concerning all the same.

Old 8th June 2011, 07:38 AM
Boxer Insane

Pepcid really helped my boy's tummy when he was having daily bile throw ups. We were giving him 20mg/day. I would consult your vet on dosage though. Could be empty belly syndrome, but keep alert for other abnormalities. Like Susi said, boxers have lots of tummy issues and if it's not empty belly, I'd be concerned that something else could be causing the upset tummy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...f/IMG_0124.jpg

Old 8th June 2011, 12:02 PM
Boxer Booster

Thank you so much for both of your responses, Cami and Tuff Love.
First of all, I had a feeling that some of the time, the upset stomach is caused by the "empty stomach" syndrome. I try to have scheduled times for Bridget to eat, however she doesn't always want to eat at the times I put her food down. She seems to get upset or depressed if my husband isn't around at dinner time and seems to wait for him to come home and then she will chow down and that could be 12 hours or more since her last meal. I really don't know what to do about that. Tomorrow he will be leaving for a two week business trip and I really don't know how I will handle that situation.

Secondly, she is now being treated for either a UTI or vaginitis (the vet said she is very irritated there and couldn't tell what was causing that irritation, however I found bloody urine drops in the house which prompted my visit) She is on Clavamox now, but will be finished soon with the anti-biotic. I do have a follow up visit scheduled for a blood draw on Saturday where the vet will be checking for a thyroid condition, due to the fact that she is shedding like crazy. In five years, I have never seen her shed like this. She has also gained over 10 pounds within the last year, so the vet feels that she does have a thyroid condition.

All that being said, I didn't realize that the thyroid could give her an upset stomach, which is usually about on the average of 4 times a week or more and started long before she was on the medication and also on a full stomach at times. It would all make sense to me now, if that is the diagnosis though. If the Pepcid will help with her discomfort, I will ask the vet for the recommended dosage. However, when do I administer it to her? I can't imagine giving it to her while she is licking and gagging which when it happens can last on and off for several hours.

Thanks for all your help!!
Ray