Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 4th June 2011, 12:47 PM
Boxer Insane

Red face How to firm up their stool...?

Ok.. This is a year round issue with Snatch..

Snatch is 7 years old: He was eating (for the 3 first years of his life) Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice until i knew better...
But with Nutro, he had firm stools.
Now.. not so much.. (we have tried almost all 6 * and 5 * food.. from innova, to california natural, totw, - by nature brightlife was THE BEST!!!! only one Snatch actually had hard stool - of course they dicontinued it )

Snatch has "frozen yogurt style" ( ) poop since he's 3 years old. Thank goodness he doesn't have too much of anal gland issue.. maybe twice a year (but then it's gooky and pasty.. **sick**). It's just VERY annoying to pick up his poop

Oxford is 4 years old. He has been eating Snatch good grade food since we got him. His stools has ALWAYS been firm, until recently, when i started giving them fish oil daily for their coat and knees.

Oxford, on the other hand.. firm stool or not, he has anal gland issue (have to do it every 10 to 15 days).

Since it's been hot (95-100F).. maybe that's why their poop is a little more yogurt style? Oxy's definitely the biggest change..

I have tried prozyme. it used to work, but not anymore.
They both eat TOTW lamb.
I just recently changed their treats.. could be it for Oxy.. (they used to have old mother hubbard peanut butter treats - now they have wellness yogurt and banana)

Also I had to up their food as they were too skinny.. maybe that's the problem?

Anyway.. I bought some All Brans... done that for 2 days (1 tbsp on their food, twice a day) . I almost think it's worse... or the same..

Temps are now around 100F daily.. I know the heat makes the poop soft too (no idea why??? )

Anyway.. that's my story about poop... not a major issue, but does anyone has tricks to firm that up?

Old 4th June 2011, 03:26 PM
Boxer Insane

I'd ditch the all bran, it's for people not dogs.

You may want to try a good probiotic, breaking their meals up into 3 times a day instead of 2 (feeding too much at once can cause loose stools), and you could try 1 tsp of whole husk psyllium (I got mine online at puritan sale) with each meal. A combination of a limited ingredient diet (watch the protein content...too high can cause the runs in some dogs), Prozyme, a probiotic, and psyllium with each meal took my Boxer from liquid feces to completely solid and normal and we've been good for years now.

Good luck.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BxrMommieNAZ For This Useful Post:
chrystel (5th June 2011), Tuff Love (4th July 2011)

Old 4th June 2011, 03:37 PM
Boxer Insane

Thor had this issue for months last year. (It started when he had pancreatitis) The thing that helped him the most was adding psyllium to his food. It is fiber. I was adding 1 tsp with each meal. As he has recovered I have reduced it to 1/2 tsp. I get it at the Vitamin Shoppe, but you can get it many places. Just be sure to make sure it is whole husk psyllium and doesn't have additives. I saw a difference within 24 hours after giving his first dose. It is inexpensive too. I pay about $6 for a large canister and even when I gave him the whole tsp and feeding him 3x/day it would last over a month. If you try this start with the 1/2 tsp and see how much that helps. Giving too much can make your problems worse, because then it becomes a laxative.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13
The Following User Says Thank You to Gatorblu For This Useful Post:
chrystel (5th June 2011)

Old 5th June 2011, 09:46 AM
Boxer Insane

Alright! I knew you guys would have great ideas!!
I am going to go tomorrow get some of that whole husk psyllium at the vitamine store..

Old 9th June 2011, 11:19 AM
Boxer Pal

Dog Food

My daughter had problems with her white boxers when they were young and she was feeding them Solid Good and switched and they started to gain weight with new dog food. However, my boxers have always been on Solid Good and done very well. Just a suggestion if you would like to try. I feed them the Holistic one.

Old 9th June 2011, 12:24 PM
Boxer Insane

fish oil in large doses will definitely give oxy soft poops. i gave tuff fish oil and gradually introduced it and increased it slowly because too much at once made his stools soft. maybe you can just decrease the dosage a bit and try slowly increasing it, or perhaps break up the dosages throughout the day.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...f/IMG_0124.jpg

Old 9th June 2011, 02:26 PM
Boxer Insane

Pumpkin! Good ole canned pumpkin has a ton of fiber. Better to add a "natural" food than the powdered alternative. That may help firm up the poo, but they also may have an underlying digestive issue that needs to be addressed. Take a stool sample into the vet and have a lab run. It's a cheap and easy test to do just to rule anything out...
Roman~White Male~Docked and floppy~7 months old Adopted 5/31/11

Old 30th June 2011, 01:40 PM
Boxer Pal

Have you tried Royal Canin Maxi Breed Boxer (26)? From the time Dinah was a puppy she had very soft poop (it was REALLY hard to pick up). We were also having a hard time keeping weight on her though we we feed her 4 cups a day! Someone told us about this brand and I did some research. Their website is really informative and the food is formulated specifically to address boxers' needs.

I'm happy to say Dinah has never had better looking stools and her coat and general body habitus is great! If the other suggestions on the board are working, terrific. But if you want to consider this (and don't mind spending a bit extra on the food), it's another option.

Good luck!

Old 30th June 2011, 07:03 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahmom View Post
Have you tried Royal Canin Maxi Breed Boxer (26)? From the time Dinah was a puppy she had very soft poop (it was REALLY hard to pick up). We were also having a hard time keeping weight on her though we we feed her 4 cups a day! Someone told us about this brand and I did some research. Their website is really informative and the food is formulated specifically to address boxers' needs.

I'm happy to say Dinah has never had better looking stools and her coat and general body habitus is great! If the other suggestions on the board are working, terrific. But if you want to consider this (and don't mind spending a bit extra on the food), it's another option.

Good luck!
Unfortunately this is a very low quality food (check out Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble) and all dogs have the same nutritional needs so the "boxer" portion is just a marketing gimmick. Personally, I'd recommend a higher quality food for long term usage.

Old 4th July 2011, 11:33 AM
Boxer Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyB View Post
Pumpkin! Good ole canned pumpkin has a ton of fiber. Better to add a "natural" food than the powdered alternative. That may help firm up the poo, but they also may have an underlying digestive issue that needs to be addressed. Take a stool sample into the vet and have a lab run. It's a cheap and easy test to do just to rule anything out...
This worked wonders for me. My pup had diarrhea for 3 days straight and I took him to the vet. The vet suggested using a heaping tablespoon of 100% pumpkin in a can. Make sure you don't buy the pumpkin pie filling. It is in the same area as the pumpkin pie filling in the baking aisle. 12 hours after I added it to his food, he stopped having diarrhea.

Old 4th July 2011, 09:48 PM
Boxer Insane

Snatch has been sick sometimes, and i used to give him pumpkin.. I think he HATES it now...

We were out of town this week end, so i didn't pack any of the supplement. His poop were a little harder.. So it must come from the supplements.. now.. which one..

I give:
Joint Maxx (Hypo Allergenic)
fish oil
vit E