Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2011, 12:30 PM
Boxer Buddy

Question Standing for hours and won't lay down

Short version: Lady is 2 yr boxer and just stands. Doesn't want to jump onto furniture or go up/down stairs or even sit or lay down to relax. No body wiggling or usual happy behavior

Long version:
Im not sure if this is health related but I'm at a loss on what to do. I came home from a late meeting yesterday and let the dogs out and took the baby upstairs to put to bed. I came back down and let the dogs in and Lady started to just stand next to me. She would follow me around and just stand. It was almost like she was shivering lightly too. She was like that for a few hours and would not sit or lay down. I invited her onto the couch with me and she was hesitant but finally got up, but just stood on the couch then finally leaned against the back and stood there and just rested her head on the armrest pillow. She was hesitant to go up the stairs too. I knew I couldn't sleep so I took her to the doggie ER last night and the vet felt her belly spine, legs, good heartrate, breathing, anal glands. She started wiggling and jumping with excitement and acting her normal self. We get home and go upstairs to her crate and go to bed.

This morning - bam same activity. I let her out of her crate and she just stood at the top of the stairs not wanting to come down. I coax her and let her go outside - she urinated then just stood there in place. I sat outside and she just came over and stood next to me. She hasnt ate breakfast and hasn't drank anything since last night. She stood from 8 am to 10am when I got her to go upstairs and after 15 minutes she finally laid down on the blanket by my bed and we took a nap (late night at the doggie ER!!). BTW she ALWAYS jumps on my bed to nap with me but she refused About an hour later we were up, she has been standing from 11 to 2 when she finally laid down on her dog bed to sleep after trying to lay once before, slightly bending at the leg then standing.

The only symptom seems to be refusal to sit or lay down or jump and not eat/drink?! I got her to eat a scooby snack and I think she had some cracker my baby gave her.

I have an appointment in 1 hour at my regular vet but I'm not sure what they can tell me if theres no other symptoms and I'm hoping she won't act fine when she gets there like she did last night!! Something isn't right though... I just know it. Im a sahm so I know her behavior and she's either on (wiggly happy) or off (laying down chillin), not this mellow refusal to relax. Im so worried!
Sponsored Links

Old 25th May 2011, 12:48 PM
Boxer Insane

The only time I have seen this is when my first girl had over did it at the dog park the day before. But she was older and had arthritis in her hips. Shivering and lack of appeitite are both signs of pain. I would talk to your vet about doing an x-ray. I hope you find out what is causong this and that it is easy to treat. Sending lots of positive healthy ((vibes)) to Lady!
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 25th May 2011, 12:50 PM
Boxer Insane

Maybe she ate something.. or got bit by something.. or has an occlusion..

did the ER take some x-rays?

poor baby

Old 25th May 2011, 01:02 PM
Boxer Buddy

They didn't take xrays or anything last night. I guess because when we were there she was hopping and wiggling like her normal self but I guess I'll try to push for it today just to try to rule out anything. Thanks for the healthy vibes I'll keep u guys updated when we get back!

Old 25th May 2011, 04:33 PM
Boxer Buddy

Well this vet said that her back leg is hurt, that she tensed up and whined when she tried to rotate it out a little bit. She gave us some muscle relaxer and anti inflammatory and said to see how it helps for the next couple days and if its not getting any better then we'll go ahead and do x-rays. She ate her dinner and she finally drank a bunch of water. She's not completely relaxed and she's still standing around but I think she will lay down soon since its the evening. The meds have to kick in all the way I'm sure. I hope she gets better!

Old 25th May 2011, 05:38 PM
Boxer Insane

Keeping your baby in our thought .. I hope it's only a little pain and that the meds will kick in soon

Old 25th May 2011, 06:36 PM
Boxer Insane

I hope the meds kick in soon. When Star was hurting I had to help her to lay down and get up. Not an easy thing to do with a 70lb girl, but doable. I had to grab around her body and lay her on her side. Make sure there is a soft bed to lay her if you try this.

Old 27th May 2011, 10:01 AM
Boxer Buddy

My Rosie acted like this when she first started to throw out her knees. She had what they called luxating pattelas. Her kneecaps would come out of the groove they run in because the groove was too shallow. She was about 6-8 mo old. She learned to strech her leg and they popped back in. But i kept her on the deck all summer and only leash walked her. By the following spring it seemed to have resolved without surgery. Vet said the muscle mass around her knees had increased and she simply grew into her knees although we still try to be careful with rough play ect. She's even been in agility courses and loved it. But back to the begining she also wouldn't sit or lay down. She shivered either from pain or fear of pain like the first episode (which was extreme). They can test for knee problems by doing a shelf test. Sometimes the dog needs to be sedated but not always. Basicaly they test for knee soundness and or torn muscles. Good luck. Hope she feels better soon.

Old 28th May 2011, 10:25 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I would just like to suggest complete rest for her, no stairs, no jumping etc.
My boy has a partially torn ACL. We are doing pain management & complete rest. Seems to be improving.
Cruciate Surgery Dec 2011.