Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 9th March 2011, 10:49 AM
Boxer Pal

Throwing up food 12 hours later?

I have a 21 month old female boxer who has been throwing up the last three days. She does not do it immediately after eating some instances have been 12 hours later (fed in the evening and then in the morning throws up). She has been drinking fine, is not lethargic and still pooping and peeing, acting her normal self. Any ideas out there of what this could be before I take a trip to the Vet?
Sponsored Links

Old 9th March 2011, 01:39 PM
Boxer Insane

Is she throwing up undigested food or bile? Could she have eaten/swallowed something that could have caused a blockage? Could be a virus or something like that, too. I would probably at least call the vet if it continuous.

Last edited by Sansal; 9th March 2011 at 01:41 PM.

Old 9th March 2011, 08:47 PM
Boxer Pal

One morning it was barely digested food and she had eaten 8-10 hours earlier, then today it was 12 hours or so after eating and it was partially digested food. No throw up that is just bile. I did see a real thin string in her throw up this morning. I was wondering if it was something she ate causing a blockage but confused that she is still pooping, I guess it could just be partial blockage. The weird thing is she is only throwing up in the morning. I will call the vet if it continues. She does eat whatever she can find, guess that is why we have pet insurance

Old 9th March 2011, 10:11 PM
Boxer Insane

I have the same questions as Sansal. Is the food digested? Is it bile or foamy? My general rule is if a dog is vomiting for more then 24-36 hrs it is time to call the vet.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 10th March 2011, 12:20 AM
Boxer Insane

My first guess would be she ate something strange. Not necessarily something that would obstruct her, just something foreign that is causing digestive upset. My dog had a stomach obstruction and in a 6 hour period she had projectile vomited quite a few times, and was especially triggered if you fed her something. She was also very lethargic, just wanted to lay down but was having a hard time getting comfortable. Vomiting by itself, I can oftentimes overlook for a day or two, but in this situation it was glaringly obvious something was wrong.

Just a week ago. 3 days in a row Juno would get up at about 6am and vomit, her last meal would have been 12 hours prior. No other symptoms so I let it slide. On the 3rd day, there was a large plastic chunk in her vomit... not sure what it was or where it came from, all her toys are intact and I haven't noticed anything destroyed around the house lol. But after she vomited that up, that was the end of her vomiting. She was just naughty and got into something, and her body needed to get rid of it.

If it happens again tomorrow (or today... it is 1:30am here haha) I would give the vet a call to see what they think needs to be done.

Old 10th March 2011, 02:58 AM
Boxer Booster

I have just had the same problem with Storm

see:

Stormy is sick :-(

After a barium meal and gazillion x rays later (to eatablish whether he was blocked), he is now on antibiotics (as blood work showed he also had an inflamed pancrease). However the vet did initial get us to give him gaviscon before eating just in case he had a unset tummy. He is going back this Saturday for a review, but so far he has stopped.

good luck and thinking of you

Old 10th March 2011, 08:50 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgrace View Post
One morning it was barely digested food and she had eaten 8-10 hours earlier, then today it was 12 hours or so after eating and it was partially digested food. No throw up that is just bile. I did see a real thin string in her throw up this morning. I was wondering if it was something she ate causing a blockage but confused that she is still pooping, I guess it could just be partial blockage. The weird thing is she is only throwing up in the morning. I will call the vet if it continues. She does eat whatever she can find, guess that is why we have pet insurance
I really wouldn't wait to go to the vet. If they run barium to check for blockage and it is fine then move onto the next step. You stated you found a string in the vomit, that would be enough for me. Strings will cause lots of trouble. You also stated that she will eat whatever she finds.

I usually don't respond to these posts because I don't have personal experience, however, I can offer this. I take Leah to our vet two days a week for doggy day care and I'm very good friends with everyone there and I have been going for over two years. I can't tell you how many times I have sat, in the waiting room, with people and/or their dogs as they bring the dogs in with blockage and the out come is bad because they weren't sure what was going on or waited to long. As they say: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hope all turns out good.
1 crazy yellow cat~Scooter 1996-2011

Old 10th March 2011, 11:09 AM
Boxer Insane

You could try to give her a famotidine tablet before or after she eats. It will help to settle her stomach and wont hurt her at all. Mine take one a day, 20mg and he weighs 72lbs. You could also try 2tbs yogurt with her meal or some can pumpkin. Their are alot of home remadies to try with different foods to feed her such as boiled rice and chicken. I would try something and still make an appointment to see the vet in the meantime. If one of them works you can always cancel the vet apt.

Milo-Jack Russell/Beagle Mix-10/20/10, Buckeye-Brindle Boxer-10-4-14 RIP my angel

Old 10th March 2011, 04:11 PM
Boxer Pal

No throw up today! Yay! I think it was the string because that was the last time she threw up. Hope she stays throw up free for now
In response to some of the posts, I would definitely take my dog to the vet if she were lethargic, not eating or drinking, etc. I was letting this slide because she was acting completely normal besides throwing up each morning.
Thanks everyone for your input!
The Following User Says Thank You to lgrace For This Useful Post:
cantfindlog (10th March 2011)