Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 26th February 2011, 09:00 PM
Boxer Buddy

Eye problem - lower eyelid drooping

Hi,

Gigi, my 9 year old, has some kind of eye infection (or so it seems). The eyelid of her right eye is drooping way down and is really red. Her other eye is fine. Should I flush it out? I just dont know what this could be.

The best way to describe it as would be if you were to stand in front of a mirror, and with your index finger pull down on your lower eye lid, thats what it looks like.

Any suggestions? We will take her to the bet tomorrow if it continues, but just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this, or knows what this could be.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links

Old 26th February 2011, 09:42 PM
Super Boxer

We've dealt with drooping lower lid before but it wasn't especially red. It always seemed to self-resolve in a day or two. Definitely if there is discharge or if Gigi is pawing at the eye, she should be seen by a vet, otherwise you can probably wait a couple days to see if it clears up on its own.

Old 26th February 2011, 10:18 PM
Boxer Buddy

Thank you Darwin's mom...there is no discharge and her eye doesn't seem to irritate her. But her eyeball seems to have rolled up...almost looks like she has no eye...

I gave it a wash and it got a little better...will wait till tomorrow...

Is there anything else I can do?

Old 26th February 2011, 11:26 PM
Boxer Insane

Ectropion maybe?

Ectropion | Ectropion in Dogs | Canine Ectropion Information

I would continue flushing it, see if it helps; if it persists I'd have a vet take a look.

Old 27th February 2011, 07:31 PM
Boxer Buddy

Thank you

Gigi's eye is back to normal today. I had called up the vet yesterday. Luckily she took the call even though it was a Sunday. She prescribed some homeopathy (Arnica 200 and Roota 200) alternately every hour. The eye had started getting better within 4 hours of giving the medication.

If its ectropion, would it come back?

Will be taking Gigi to the clinic anyway.

Thank you for all your support. My baby turns 10 in two weeks, and all I wish for her is good health!

Old 28th February 2011, 01:31 PM
Boxer Booster

My Hurley had ectropion. First started out mild with one eye. Used creams etc and cleared up. However after so many infections in both eyes down the road he had to have surgery to correct it. He never had a problem after that. I can't remember the surgery being that expensive or hard to recover from.He was so much happier after it tho.

Old 10th March 2011, 09:44 PM
Boxer Pal

Puppy with drooping lower lids

Zeus, my 11 week old boxer, has droopy lower lids. I also notice that his eyes are red. This has been going on for over a week. It seems like his lower lids will "droop" on and off. But, the droop is fairly bad.. I can see his eye ball...

We were at the vet today for the last of his shots, and I mentioned it to the vet. But, he didn't seemed a bit concerned. He seemed to pass it off as a "common thing seen with boxers." So, at this point I don't know if I should seek a second opinion or not. Or, if it could be something more serious. I'm also learning as I go seeing as how this is my first boxer.

Old 11th March 2011, 07:32 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Z View Post
Zeus, my 11 week old boxer, has droopy lower lids. I also notice that his eyes are red. This has been going on for over a week. It seems like his lower lids will "droop" on and off. But, the droop is fairly bad.. I can see his eye ball...

We were at the vet today for the last of his shots, and I mentioned it to the vet. But, he didn't seemed a bit concerned. He seemed to pass it off as a "common thing seen with boxers." So, at this point I don't know if I should seek a second opinion or not. Or, if it could be something more serious. I'm also learning as I go seeing as how this is my first boxer.
When Thor was a puppy he had very droopy eyes. My Vet said it was not uncommon in boxers and that he would "grow into" them. Sure enough he did. I wouldn't be overly concerned at his age. BTW Congrats on your new family member!
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 14th March 2011, 06:47 PM
Boxer Buddy

Droopy eye lids.

My 2 year old males does the same thing. The vet said that its common with boxers. Although when his eyes get like that I know he is tired so I put him in his room for a nap and its always back to normal when he wakes up. It may be just a coincidence but I've been doing that for over a year and its always worked. And he always falls asleep.