Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 24th October 2001, 05:28 PM
Boxer Pal

Runny eye

My male 6 month old boxer's left eye has starting running, and today it's a yellowish color. We were out in the field yesterday, does anyone think that maybe he got into weeds? Or could it come from a scratch, he and my other dog play pretty hard sometimes. Any suggestions appreciated. I plan on calling my vet in the a.m. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 24th October 2001, 08:04 PM
Your Friendly Moderator

A clear or opaque discharge from the dog's eye is fairly normal. It can be caused by allergies, something in the eye, sleep, etc., -- just normal stuff, like the crud we clean out of our own eyes.

Yellow and/or greenish discharges usually mean some sort of eye infection. Again, in puppies this is a fairly normal occurrence, such as with skin kids and ear aches. They get them and they are easily treated. No big threat.

Call your vet and see if he wants to start some "drops" or antibiotics since it is a yellow discharge. Could be the start of some infection.

In the meantime, simple saline solution can be helpful in rinsing our the eye and removing contaminants, allergens, etc. Might try that before a visit to the vet to see if it clears up.

Good luck.

Old 25th October 2001, 06:51 AM
Boxer Insane

You can also purchase some over the counter eye ointment to try as well. You can find this at pharmacies or in most drug stores

Old 25th October 2001, 07:56 PM
Boxer Booster

We just had the same problem with Jackson. When we took him to the vet they put some dye in his eye to make sure that he hadn't scratched his eye. He has been on eye drops for a week now. It is hard to tell with Jackson because he has always had runny eyes but the first day he had such an abnormal amount of eye goop and it was green. Take your pup to the vet. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck

Heather

Old 26th October 2001, 06:07 AM
Boxer Pal

Thanks so much for all the advice. I did take Frasier to the vet, and got some drops for allergies, the whites of his eyes were red, that is what the vet is going on. He didn't want to start anti biotics at this point, doesn't feel it is necessary, will try these drops for a week. Frasier has the runny eyes too, both my babies like their faces washed with a warm washcloth.

Thanks again. Jane