Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 21st January 2011, 11:58 AM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy Severe back pain in boxer - help!

Hello everyone - im new here, from Iceland - so i hope my english is readable

I have a 9 months old boxer boy named Mökkur. Right before christmas he beginned to be sick. He had a hard time to move, got heat and just wanted to lay down (very unlike himself). I went to the vet and got some painkilllers - she checked him out and took a blood test and everything seemed fine. The next days he got really worse and could not move and whined when he tried to move or when i touched him (i was dying of concerne)- i went again to the vet and the she took another blodd test, rubbed him and took a x-ray of him all. And again - everything seemed fine! Although... there was one thing she saw on the x-ray - a little bruise on the rear spine (she was not sure). He had more painkillers and i gave him morphine through an arterial line. He got even worse. Two days later, we tried steroids and finally something worked! I was so glad too see my boy in no pain.

He was on steroids for 2 weeks - 3 days after he stopped using them he beginned to have the same symptoms again - losing power and could not walk - whined when he got up/down the couch. So now he is on the second steroid dose - he has one week left. And i have a appointment with the vet after 2 days and i want her to just find out what is wrong with him.

X-rays shows nothing :/ He´s is in so much pain when he is not on steroids. And these steroids are not good for him in long term use, i know what they can do to dogs.

Could this be Spondylosis, Intervertebral Disc Disease, slipped disc, Wobble, some nerve disease ... or something else?

Pleas can someone tell me anything about this.... Thank you!
Sponsored Links

Old 21st January 2011, 12:05 PM
Boxer Insane

Look into Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD) its rare in boxers but I have seen it a few times.

Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy: A Bone Disease in Growing Dogs
mokkurboxer (21st January 2011)

Old 21st January 2011, 01:10 PM
Boxer Pal

Also, look into Lyme Disease or Ehrlichia, which can manifest with similar symptoms.
mokkurboxer (21st January 2011)

Old 21st January 2011, 03:10 PM
Boxer Insane

Also Steroid Responsive Meningitis is a possiblity too

Meningitis in Dogs | Overview & Facts
The Following User Says Thank You to EAO76 For This Useful Post:
mokkurboxer (22nd January 2011)

Old 22nd January 2011, 06:08 AM
Boxer Pal

Thank you so much for the input!

This is so strange.... every article i read about diseases that he could have or that condition he is in ....are not quite alike his symptoms. Some things are alike, but in every article there is something he has not. And most of these article says that a x-ray would show that condition- but the x-rays that were taken of him didnt really show anything... maybe i should ask someone else to look at them. But already 3 good doctors have

Symptoms without steroids: heat (not much), begins to move less and is bent down. After 1-2 days he almost cant move and yelps when i try to move him or when i touch his rear back or pull rear legs– clearly in much pain, very hot – with his tounge out, does not eat, drinks a littl. Becomes almost paralysed in the end!

Symptoms with steroids: Took him 1 day to feel better. He can walk and has no pain – no yelping. Although he is very depressed, doesnt move that much in the house and plays just a little (VERY unlike himself). Drinks ALOT and is always hungry and eats the food in less than minute.

When he finished his first steroid dose he went back to the same condition as before 3 days later... so now he is on his second dose.

Soo..steroids seems to be the only thing that works! Anti inflammatory drugs and painkillers did not work (we tried them first).

Please help me if you know something or have been through the same – thanks alot

Old 22nd January 2011, 08:08 AM
Boxer Insane

Since the steroids are working, and the x-rays show nothing, then I would think there some kind of swelling somewhere. I would ask for a sonogram at the very least or if you can afford it an MRI. They would show any inconsistancies in the soft tissue, where x-rays are more for bones. Sending lots of healthy, painfree ((vibes)) to Mokkur!
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 22nd January 2011, 08:45 AM
Boxer Pal

thank you I was actually going to do that/ask for it, on monday, we have an appointment then. I wish i was in the USA or somewhere were all this equipment is available! I might have to see a human doctor to use this equipment for my dog.

Old 22nd January 2011, 12:40 PM
Boxer Pal

had the same problem

I had the same problem in November with my almost 10 year old boxer and my vet put him on a large dose of steriods for three days and then started to decrease it over the next month ( 60 mg for three days, then 20 mg for one week, then 10 mg for one week then 10 mg every other day for a week) in addition to that she gave him a powerful muscle relaxer called robaxin for 6 days. All of this made him very sleepy but it seemed to allow him to heal and he was fine after about two weeks. Maybe this is something your vet might be willing to try. My vet thought my dog might have had a bad sprained back or a possible slipped disc that didn't show up on the x-ray. Good luck Mortgage
The Following User Says Thank You to mortgage For This Useful Post:
mokkurboxer (22nd January 2011)