Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 25th September 2010, 04:51 AM
Boxer Pal

Puppy is vomiting after rice and chicken

Well our 6 month old guy, Hank, has been having the runs for about a month now as I've posted in another thread. The vet just wanted to keep putting him on antibiotics, but we felt that that wasn't the answer to our problem anymore. So we started him on a bland diet about 12 hours ago of rice and chicken recommended by another member. Just a half hour ago Hank started puking a good amount of a yellow slimy substance. This is a completely new symptom and he's only had about 2 cups of the bland diet total. Do you think he's allergic to the chicken or rice? Should I still try feeding it to him a couple of more times? Or should I switch to sweet potato and some other meat? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Old 25th September 2010, 10:16 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Does your vet have any ideas as to why Hank has had diarrhea for the past month? Have you been feeding the same food this whole time (both before and after the diarrhea began)? Has a fecal exam been done to rule out intestinal parasites and worms?

It sounds like your dog's tummy needs a rest. Now, I'm not a vet, but I might try fasting the dog for the next 24 hours and then give it small, bland meals throughout the following day. Be sure to provide plenty of fresh water. It sounds like you're not exactly impressed with your current vet. Is there another vet clinic close by that you could call and get another vet's opinion? Good luck. I hope Hank is feeling better soon.

P.S. Have you ever given watermelon to Hank? It's 95% water and won't hurt him. It will help keep him hydrated (which is really important if he's throwing up and has diarrhea). If Hank is anything like my dogs, he will love it and think it's a special treat. Just don't give him too much at first before you know whether or not he'll keep it down.

A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such. -- John Holmes

Old 25th September 2010, 10:54 AM
Boxer Pal

Well we used to feed him Nutro Lamb and Rice, but then he stopped eating it, and it's hard to remember exactly but I think I noticed his stool was getting runny too. So we switched him to Wellness puppy food, and nothing got better. It actually got worse I think. We went to the vet and got 15 days of an antibiotic, a dewormer, a fecal exam and a probiotic. Nothing helped. So we went back and the vet wanted to do the exact same thing for 10 more days except with stronger meds, and she gave us an RX food. We decided not to follow the doctors orders the next day, and returned the food (they wouldn't take the meds back). We fasted him for 24 hours, and then started the bland chicken and rice diet. Then he started throwing up. I guess it could be that he's just adjusting. He seems to be better now than he was this morning so that's good. He's been drinking fine, but thanks for the watermelon tip. I would have never thought of that. Anyways, I'll keep you updated on his condition, and hopefully it was a fluke thing.

Old 25th September 2010, 01:02 PM
Super Boxer

How long had it been since he'd eaten? Marshall, even at 6 months, still has a pretty sensitive tummy and if I don't feed him at least three times a day he will vomit. But he'll also vomit if he eats too quickly or too much at any given time. Alot of times if it's been too long between feedings and he drinks water, he'll end up puking up slime. Maybe the chicken and rice didn't stick with your boy as long as his dog food did and so his tummy just got too empty. I've found the best schedule for us is a feeding at around 7 am, then again around 12-1 in the afternoon and again in the evening between 6-8. Also never more than a cup of food at a time and we put a rock in the middle of his dish so he can't gobble up too fast as this will result in him puking up his food too. Between all these things, Marshall's tummy has greatly improved.

When either dog gets loose stools we switch to chicken and rice for a bit. I usually do brown rice just because that is my preference. Additionally I give canned pumpkin with their feeding. The pumpkin alone will usually fix any loose stool issues my pups are having. I also found with Marshall that when I was feeding him the puppy food he seemed to have more tummy problems than with the adult dog food. Not really sure why that was but now he gets 1/2 Innova adult and 1/2 Innova puppy at every feeding.

I'm not familiar with Wellness, so can't comment on that - but I will say that Zoe was on Nutro when we adopted her and it was no good for her tummy. She had horrible loose stools. We finally settled on Canidae for her and her digestive issues pretty much stopped.

Good luck!

Old 25th September 2010, 01:38 PM
Boxer Insane

Usually yellow slimy stuff is bile and indicates too much acid in the stomach typically meaning the dog is hungry. Was there any rice/chicken in the vomit? How long had it been since his/her last meal? How much did you feed at one time? I'd stick with it another day or two since you don't know why your pup is vomiting, but if it doesn't clear up either try another protein source (the rice should be fine) or head back to the vet.

Good luck.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 25th September 2010, 01:41 PM
Boxer Pal

We feed about the same times you do. Once around 6 or 7 am, around noon, then again in the evening. He just had his first poop since we put him on chicken and rice and it was pretty bad diarrhea. It's hard to tell if he's just adjusting, or if it is the chicken and rice doing this to him. I think we're going to give it 1 or 2 more days and see if anything changes. If not, then we'll probably try switching to a sweet potato and beef or fish diet. Then again, we don't want to changed to frequently I'd imagine cause I'm sure that's not good either.

Old 25th September 2010, 02:38 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zparme View Post
We feed about the same times you do. Once around 6 or 7 am, around noon, then again in the evening. He just had his first poop since we put him on chicken and rice and it was pretty bad diarrhea. It's hard to tell if he's just adjusting, or if it is the chicken and rice doing this to him. I think we're going to give it 1 or 2 more days and see if anything changes. If not, then we'll probably try switching to a sweet potato and beef or fish diet. Then again, we don't want to changed to frequently I'd imagine cause I'm sure that's not good either.
You may want to try some pumpkin (100% pure not pie filling) or psyllium to help firm the stools and relax the digestive tract. My dog gets the runs on chicken and rice too because there's not enough fiber in it to bulk his stools up so I always have to add some pumpkin or psyllium when I do chicken and rice for him.

Old 25th September 2010, 04:50 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I know how frustrating it can be to find a food that works. After a year of trial and error, we've finally found our "perfect" food. Go! Natural (duck formula) has made a HUGE difference in my dogs' stools. My guys had loose stools off an on for pretty much an entire year. It was so bad that the grass needed to be hosed down whenever they'd go out to potty. Ever since we switched to Go!, their stools are solid and cleaning them up is a breeze. An employee at the pet store where I purchased the food told me that boxers tend to do better on moderate protein diets and suggested not going over 24% protein. My membership to this site has taught me, however, that many boxers who are fed high protein kibbles do just fine. High protein formulas don't work for all dogs and they certainly didn't work for us. With Go!, I'm also feeding much less -- my guys each get 3/4 of a cup of food twice a day and they're doing great. It's expensive -- $73.00 for a 30 lb. bag -- but it takes us at least a month to go through a bag and it sure beats the alternative of having to hose down the yard every time they have a bowel movement. I also add a little bit psyllium and some plain, fat-free yogurt to the kibble (this might be great if your guy is a food inhaler -- the yogurt will make the kibble stick to the dish and slow him down a bit when eating).

If you're interested, check out the link below:
Go! Duck K9

Old 25th September 2010, 05:20 PM
Super Boxer

When Gauge was sick chicken and rice didnt work for him and you also use to feed lamb and rice. Maybe its the rice causing the problem. Try boiled russet potato and chicken instead and see if that works. I worked great for my boxer.

Old 25th September 2010, 09:40 PM
Super Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxrMommieNAZ View Post
You may want to try some pumpkin (100% pure not pie filling) or psyllium to help firm the stools and relax the digestive tract. My dog gets the runs on chicken and rice too because there's not enough fiber in it to bulk his stools up so I always have to add some pumpkin or psyllium when I do chicken and rice for him.
I second this. Get some pumpkin. I usually do a really large serving (ie 1/4 - 1/3 cup of pumpkin for the first serving, then I'll taper down to just a couple tablespoons. I have yet to not have the pumpkin work.

Old 26th September 2010, 04:46 AM
Boxer Pal

Sounds like a good idea to me. I went out and got some pumpkin last night. So I should start off giving him 1/4 or so in the morning, and then just a few tablespoons throughout the rest of the day? I'll give him some this morning and hopefully we see a difference soon. Thanks for the advice.

Old 26th September 2010, 06:42 AM
Reasonable Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zparme View Post
Well our 6 month old guy, Hank, has been having the runs for about a month now as I've posted in another thread. The vet just wanted to keep putting him on antibiotics, but we felt that that wasn't the answer to our problem anymore. So we started him on a bland diet about 12 hours ago of rice and chicken recommended by another member. Just a half hour ago Hank started puking a good amount of a yellow slimy substance. This is a completely new symptom and he's only had about 2 cups of the bland diet total. Do you think he's allergic to the chicken or rice? Should I still try feeding it to him a couple of more times? Or should I switch to sweet potato and some other meat? Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.
Yellow is caused by bile. The stomach will produce bile when food is expected. If they don't get the food, it will make them throw up, which is what happened. I would try feeding more often. It might help.

Also, the antibiotics that Hank has been on will have killed off all the good bacteria in the gut as well as the bad. When one is on antibiotics, it is always a good idea to give some a tablespoon or so of plain natural yogurt, which will help to replace the good bacteria in the gut. Give it with every meal. Some people will give it all the time.

What kind of food were you feeding before? Some dogs do not deal with grain well and it might be a good idea to try a grain free diet.

You also, might try oatmeal and chicken rather than the rice as it is more easily digested, or the potato and rice that some else already suggested.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jan; 26th September 2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: addition