Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 10th September 2010, 06:51 PM
Boxer Pal

Exclamation Recently Docked tail for four month old boxer

My 4 month old boxer,jake, didnt have his tail docked when he was first born. Today I took him to the vet and had it docked. The bandage fell off within a matter of hours (vet said to keep it on for 1 day) I have rebandaged it multipule times. I know to keep it clean so infection does not set in. DO you think i should try to keep a bandage on it or just watch it and keep it clean. The stitches dont show any sign on blood coming from the area.

p.s he has a cone on so he cannot reach the stitches.

any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated

-Thanks from Jessica and Jake
Sponsored Links

Old 11th September 2010, 12:04 AM
Boxer Insane

If your vet said to keep the bandage on and it won't stay on then you shoudl call your vet. At 4 months it isn't docking anymore (it is only docking from 1-4 days after birth) it's an amputation of a limb at this point, so you need to be extremely careful and IMO 100% call your vet for advice on this one. They should have an after hours line or be open for a partial amount of time on Saturday.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07
The Following User Says Thank You to BxrMommieNAZ For This Useful Post:
Terriedogs (11th September 2010)

Old 11th September 2010, 12:35 AM
Boxer Insane

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxrMommieNAZ View Post
If your vet said to keep the bandage on and it won't stay on then you shoudl call your vet. At 4 months it isn't docking anymore (it is only docking from 1-4 days after birth) it's an amputation of a limb at this point, so you need to be extremely careful and IMO 100% call your vet for advice on this one. They should have an after hours line or be open for a partial amount of time on Saturday.

MOST Definitely call ur VET !!

like bxrmommie already stated , its a amputation , much different then a dock. I am actually surprise a vet did it for cosmetic reasons. Its NOT usually done by REPUTABLE vets in my state ( ur state my be different). I am sure u probably could find some one to do it, but its not advised , unless for medical reasons, at that age.

keep in mind he / she could have fantom pains , just like if u had a leg or arm cute off, as the nerves have already been formed. You vet can advise u on proper medication for this.
most probably a form of buffered aspirin in low doses, available over the counter.

keep us posted ~ and good luck !
The Following User Says Thank You to samsons For This Useful Post:

Old 11th September 2010, 07:48 AM
Boxer Pal

Smile 4 month old tail removed

I called my vet, they said it was fine that it came off due to that he cant reach it with the cone on his head. They advised me to keep it extremely clean (which im already doing). he was given a 36 hour pain shot, so thats still working for him now. but the vet said to give him a low dose of childrens liquid tylenol.
I had researched boxers with a tail. and alot of stories i read said that later in life of the boxers their tails were broken due to wagging them into something, and then after the tail breaking they would get it removed. I didnt want that to happen to my boy. and thought it best just to avoid a situation like that. It wasnt for his looks, but for his well being.

thanks for the help everyone

-Jessica & Jake

Old 11th September 2010, 11:44 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I cannot believe a vet has done this mutilation of a pup for cosmetic reasons!!! A docking at this age is an amputation of a limb and no honest good vet should perform one!

Docking should only be done at the appropriate age. After that it should not be done at all- only for medical reasons. Contact a vet a.s.a.p

Shocking.

Frankie Moo d.o.b 21/9/2006 Red,docked(unfortunately) and floppy!
James-i-poo d.o.b 28/4/2010 brindle, full tail and floppy!!

Last edited by iluvfrankie; 11th September 2010 at 11:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to iluvfrankie For This Useful Post:

Old 11th September 2010, 11:58 AM
Super Boxer

Yikes, I'm pretty surprised that a vet did this too. Unless he had a horrible case of 'happy tail' that would not heal, it should not have been done. But, being just 4 months old it doesn't seem likely that was the case. I understand that the mentality of what is acceptable can vary from place to place. I just hope he heals up and doesn't have any long term affects.

Old 11th September 2010, 12:37 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Don't know what to say about that. Unbelievable and shocking. Way too old for tail docking. You should stay in touch with the vet. Any vet that would do this should give you his personal phone number for problems. Good luck and hope it all turns out ok.
1 crazy yellow cat~Scooter 1996-2011

Old 11th September 2010, 12:52 PM
Boxer Insane

additional thought ~~

find a NEW vet .... and get a check up !!

not giving you a hard time - we are just shocked that a vet would EVEN do this procedure, so probably not the BEST place to go for problems ... JMO

good luck & hope everything heals well !!
The Following User Says Thank You to samsons For This Useful Post:

Old 11th September 2010, 01:00 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Vets dont know it all, if fact they can sometimes shock with their limited knowledge on certain subjects. All here at BW research medications, conditions and procedures before we would allow them be carried out on our babies. The search facility is brilliant here and if in doubt ask or goggle it.

Angela a.k.a Samsons is right- a new vet would be my first on my list of things to do.

Old 11th September 2010, 02:40 PM
Boxer Insane

I know it may seem like everyone is jumping down your throat but your vet really should have explained to you that you were amputating a body part. You realize that Jake just had nerves & bone severed right? And that the tail is an extension of the spine? The only reason a vet would agree to do this procedure is for financial gain. Because there is absolutely no benefit to the dog. The only legit reason a tail should be amputated is if the dog has a sever tail injury. Poor Jake this is very sad for him.

Also definitely keep it clean. Any infection could spread into his spine and cause life long problems. I had a foster dog awhile back with a lot of arthritis in his spine at a young age. The orthopedic vet said he sees spine issues more often in dogs with docked tails. He believes (and this is just his personal theory) that there may be some connection to poor dockings & spine issues. He said that if the docking is done improperly that infection can travel through the spine, create some inflammation (I'm paraphrasing...don't remember exactly how he explained it) which could lead to arthritis or Spondylosis. Again this is just one vet's theory. I have no clue if its true or not.

PS I am fostering a year old boxer pup right now with a full tail. His tail is hilarious & adds to his character.
BxrMommieNAZ (11th September 2010), Caney Creek (11th September 2010), cantfindlog (12th September 2010), ehayes21 (11th September 2010), Sansal (11th September 2010), srennie (11th September 2010), Terriedogs (11th September 2010)

Old 11th September 2010, 05:12 PM
Boxer Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAO76 View Post
PS I am fostering a year old boxer pup right now with a full tail. His tail is hilarious & adds to his character.
Oh my gosh, that is so true. My son's boxerX was born in March, so he's still just a baby. He's got that great big strong tail, humongous feet, and long ears. He looks like DUMBO! He makes me smile just to look at him.

He hasn't quite grown into his body yet...he's so funny. He was on my bed with me today and whacked me in the head with his tail. Oh my gosh, IT HURT! I can't believe how strong his tail is.

Now about your dog. I'd call the vet. Give him lots of love and care. Actually, if I were you - I'd probably find a new vet. I didn't know about docking an older dog either.

I don't think I would have done the ears or the tail on mine if I owned one. My dogs are just my pets. I don't show any dogs. It just seems kind of cruel to me. But, I suppose if you're going to do it, do it when they're really young. I guess it's no worse than a circumcision if you do it young.

This has been a really interesting thread to me. I learned a lot about something I had never given any thought to before. I like long, floppy ears and big strong tails.

I think my son's goofy, great big dog is absolutely adorable. Especially since he's so clumsy with those great big feet, those long goofy ears....Absolutely charms you to death.

Last edited by Terriedogs; 11th September 2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 12th September 2010, 09:52 AM
Boxer Pal

jake

You all act like i didnt research myself and had no idea what the procedure was. I know the tail is apart of his spine and theres nerves that have been made. I didnt just take him to the vet one day and say "cut off my dogs tail". I researched it like i have already stated that the majority of boxers with tails at older ages are broken alot due to the boxer being so hyper and that it was more pain for them then just avoiding the whole thing. I asked multipule vets not just from my state (ms) but also the state i moved here from (or) both vets on the either sides on the U.S. explained to me everything about getting his tail amputated. Jake is doing fine he doesnt act like hes horribly mutated(as you described it) the only thing hes annoyed about is having a cone around his head.