Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

 
  #13  
Old 12th August 2010, 10:32 AM
Tuff Love's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, PA
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly24boxer View Post
Do a search on here on Rimadyl. I do not think I would use this drug seems to cause alot of problems
I have read some things regarding the Rimadyl, but I will look again. Tuff has been on it before for short periods and hasn't had any trouble with it yet.
__________________
~Danielle~
Thora 3/24/11
Tuff- Forever in our hearts 5/27/05 - 12/26/2010
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...f/IMG_0124.jpg
Sponsored Links

 
  #14  
Old 12th August 2010, 10:45 AM
Tuff Love's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, PA
Posts: 1,615
i should mention, the Rimadyl is not a long term solution for Tuff as i know NSAIDS can be harmful to the liver in some dogs. he has a 10 day supply (i think) and if conditions don't improve at all or remain the same, we will be re-evaluating his symptoms and either sending his xrays to the radiologist for a second opinion or consulting the neurologist if necessary.

 
  #15  
Old 12th August 2010, 11:42 AM
EAO76's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA, California
Posts: 2,501
You might want to consider skipping the waiting game & find an orthopedic specialist (a really good one). I had one general practice vet tell me there was nothing wrong with a dog (after doing an exam & x-rays). Yet the dog was limping, lame, etc. They told us to just rest him & gave him an NSAID. After weeks of rest he was not improved. I took him to a specialist who figured out he had TWO blown knees. It took the specialist literally 1 or 2 minutes to figure out what was wrong. General Practice vets are good for the every day stuff but specialists are specialists for a reason. The extra school & experience gives them a large advantage when it comes to diagnosing. And many specialists can tell just by a dogís gait if itís neurological or orthopedic.

PS if you do see someone else bring the xrays
__________________
Elaine, Mom to Nano & Rosco, + Trucker & Fluffy - both waiting at the bridge
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1.../fourkids3.jpg

 
  #16  
Old 12th August 2010, 02:33 PM
Tuff Love's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, PA
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAO76 View Post
You might want to consider skipping the waiting game & find an orthopedic specialist (a really good one). I had one general practice vet tell me there was nothing wrong with a dog (after doing an exam & x-rays). Yet the dog was limping, lame, etc. They told us to just rest him & gave him an NSAID. After weeks of rest he was not improved. I took him to a specialist who figured out he had TWO blown knees. It took the specialist literally 1 or 2 minutes to figure out what was wrong. General Practice vets are good for the every day stuff but specialists are specialists for a reason. The extra school & experience gives them a large advantage when it comes to diagnosing. And many specialists can tell just by a dogís gait if itís neurological or orthopedic.

PS if you do see someone else bring the xrays
no kidding? that's awful. i will definitely keep it in mind. i'm going to give him a week i think and see how he does. it could be something minor, but if it is a pulled/strained muscle, it should show some signs of improvement. if he's the same then i will see if my vet can refer us to an orthopedic specialist. thanks for sharing your experience. i know just from reading the boards how often big things can go undiagnosed. when the vet told me his knees seemed fine, my jaw literally dropped. i said "really???????" that... is... not what i was expecting." she did mention that after the xrays, she took him out walking and said his gait was a little narrow, which lead her to think it could be neurological, but at the same time, he was still high on anesthetics and walking abnormal from that anyways.

 
  #17  
Old 12th August 2010, 11:12 PM
EAO76's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA, California
Posts: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Love View Post
no kidding? that's awful. i will definitely keep it in mind. i'm going to give him a week i think and see how he does. it could be something minor, but if it is a pulled/strained muscle, it should show some signs of improvement. if he's the same then i will see if my vet can refer us to an orthopedic specialist. thanks for sharing your experience. i know just from reading the boards how often big things can go undiagnosed. when the vet told me his knees seemed fine, my jaw literally dropped. i said "really???????" that... is... not what i was expecting." she did mention that after the xrays, she took him out walking and said his gait was a little narrow, which lead her to think it could be neurological, but at the same time, he was still high on anesthetics and walking abnormal from that anyways.
Considering heís middle aged & the fact that ACL injuries are so common in boxers I strongly suspect itís his knee or knees. The vet we saw told us the same thing. In my case it was a foster boxer. They even did the drawer test and did not get the diagnoses right. Itís not really anything against these vets. Itís just not their area of expertise.

 
  #18  
Old 30th August 2010, 09:57 AM
Tuff Love's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, PA
Posts: 1,615
*sigh*

ok.. an update....

It's been a long morning for Tuff and I so bear with me. It's been a couple weeks now since the lameness problem began and we thought he might have been making progress because his legs haven't completely gone out on him since the first episodes and he was doing ok on the rimadyl for the few days he was on it. He continues to be wobbly however so we were going to take him back in for a re-eval.

FFW to this morning. I was getting ready for work and was calling Tuff to come up and hang out with me while I got ready (he usually does this every morning). He didn't come to bed with us last night so I wanted to make sure he was feeling ok. So I was calling him and he wasn't coming, so I went downstair to get him and he was just laying on the couch, very reluctant to go anywhere. I did finally get him up and he was groggy from sleep. He followed me upstairs slowly. Since his balance has been off we do everything slow, especially stairs. He hung out with me a bit upstairs and I noticed when he laid down that his front legs could no longer stabilize him and he more less just plopped down. It was clear to me then that whatever is going on isn't localized to the hind legs. So I watched him for another 1/2 hour or so between getting ready and noticed that he was a little "off." Just not him self and he seemed a little disoriented and distant.. confused maybe? Well, then he threw up some thick yellow bile and I was fully in panic mode. The instability seemed to be all over and he just seemed so disoriented. So I started freaking out and made a call in to work to let them know that I had to get my dog to the vet and I may or may not be in later. The vet opens at 8 so I had 20 mins or so to have a full on break down while I waited :/ Naturally every horrible possibility under the sun is going on in my mind, from strokes to brain tumors to god knows what.

Anyways, he saw a new, younger vet because his regular is out on Mondays. She took blood and is supposed to call me in a couple hours with the results and we're going to move on from there. She feels like the problem could be neurological after all, so it's likely we will be taking him to the University of Penn to see a specialist. Tuff was so excited to be there and his symptoms were so much improved from this morning when I was freaking out. It was like the adrenaline kicked in and gave him more strength and pushed all the ailments temporarily aside... it was so bizarre. And of course made it that much more difficult for the vet to evaluate him, not being able to see what I saw.
So I'm just waiting now. I came back in to work to get my mind off things. There didn't seen to be much I could do at home for him anyways. I notified our HR girl that this week may be a little erratic and she was very understanding, so that's one less thing to worry about.
I'm trying very hard to keep myself together. My heart is just so exhausted.... I want my baby to be well again.

 
  #19  
Old 30th August 2010, 10:18 AM
auntthelm's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA/Michigan
Posts: 1,999
Sending positive thoughts and healthy, healing vibes to Tuff and (((((((((Hugs)))))))) to you.
__________________
_____________________________________________
Crystal - Fawn, floppy and docked. Joy of the family and my best friend.
8-9-97 to 11-12-07.
Roxy - Brindle, floppy and docked born 1/25/08

 
  #20  
Old 30th August 2010, 10:22 AM
Tuff Love's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, PA
Posts: 1,615
thank you we'll take all the healing vibes we can get. tuffer sure needs em!

 
  #21  
Old 30th August 2010, 01:39 PM
Tuff Love's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, PA
Posts: 1,615
vet just called with the bloodwork results and said everything looks really good. there were 2 levels that are slightly above what they should be, but she's not worried about them and they're levels that can relate to a myriad of things (i can't recall which levels they were as i'm not really versed with the medical terminology).
we made an appointment for wednesday to see a neurologist at university of penn. it's an hour drive but they have a great reputation. i hope they are able to help.

 
  #22  
Old 30th August 2010, 02:42 PM
Gatorblu's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA, Overland Park, KS
Posts: 5,687
I'm sorry Tuff had such a rough morning. I hope you get some answers on Wed. I'd like to make a suggestion. Should Tuff have another "episode" like this morning's, and I hope he doesn't, if you can video tape it. It always easier to show someone something than try to explain it. We're sending positive healthy ((vibes)) his way.
__________________
Pam, Mom to Arabella-female brindle 12/19/06
My Angel Babies at the Bridge
Star-female fawn 05/13/98-11/22/08
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

 
  #23  
Old 30th August 2010, 02:53 PM
Tuff Love's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, PA
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorblu View Post
I'm sorry Tuff had such a rough morning. I hope you get some answers on Wed. I'd like to make a suggestion. Should Tuff have another "episode" like this morning's, and I hope he doesn't, if you can video tape it. It always easier to show someone something than try to explain it. We're sending positive healthy ((vibes)) his way.
thank you for the suggestion, i actually have thought of that and have used it before to show the vet his focal seizures the first time. this morning i was so overwhelmed with worry i completely forgot until he threw up... and then i took a picture of the bile, lol. don't know why. my heart was in the right place but my judgement was a bit clouded i guess.
i am going to keep my camera handy so if he acts like that again before his neuro visit, i can show the neurologist. i am just terrified it's a brain tumor or something given his history with mast cells. i'm sure my imagination will run rampant until wednesday. i'm actually going to try my best to stay out of the other "health" threads until the appointment because i tend to get a little hypochondriatic. it's easy to make connections that don't exist when you're worried.

 
  #24  
Old 31st August 2010, 01:49 PM
Tuff Love's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, PA
Posts: 1,615
Still patiently waiting for Tuff's appointment tomorrow... ok, maybe not so patiently.
One thing that I don't think I mentioned is that earlier in the week I noticed a thick waxy brown substance in both of Tuff's ears. I cleaned them out and made sure to mention them to the vet yesterday. She suspects it is a yeast infection and prescribed him Otimax and also gave us a rinse we can use weekly to prevent such a thing from recurring. As distressed as I was at the vet, I didn't think that the ear problem could have any direct correlation with his current condition and didn't think to ask. But I'm reading up some symptoms of severe ear infections and evidently some can cause dogs to be unbalanced, lose their appetites, and vomit. Now, I have no idea how long Tuff's had this going on in his ears but he's been rubbing them for a few weeks, now that I think about it. He gets allergies so I didn't think much of it until now. I know I'm probably reaching for straws here, but wouldn't it be great if something as simple as that was the problem?