Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 18th June 2010, 06:02 AM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy New Puppy - Heart Murmur

We are waiting to pick up our new boxer puppy ( female ) in a week and the breeder called to tell us the puppy has a level three heart murmur. I have had two boxers, neither had heart issues ( which I know can be an issue ). I have consulted two doctors with differing opinions. We have asked the breeder to take the puppy to the vet one more time to check on the heart. The breeder has given us options...any suggestions? Do they outgrow this? We lost our last boxer at age 4 ~ which was hard for all of us, especially my three young children. thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 21st June 2010, 09:19 PM
Boxer Pal

We found out our girl had a murmur at our first vet visit. The vet graded it at a level 2 and suggested we get an echocardiogram. She said that is really the only way to accurately judge the grade and determine what is causing the murmur. We did one (at 6 mos) and they found it to actually be a Level 1 murmur due to an sub-aortic stenosis. In her case, the murmur was less severe than we thought and shouldn't affect her life. But, I don't know if I would have felt okay about it until we had a cardiologist look at her.

I don't want to tell you one way or another what to do about getting the puppy (I know for us once we had her there was no giving her back ), but I just wanted to tell you my story and suggest that you have the breeder have a cardiologist look at her to be sure. The breeder really should be happy to do this because if they find out it's a genetic disease then they really shouldn't breed the sire or dam again. Good luck, and hope everything works out for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to bettiboxer For This Useful Post:
rbone (22nd June 2010)

Old 22nd June 2010, 01:00 AM
Boxer Booster

When I was in high school, I worked for a vet as a tech. I lady came in with her pug puppies to be checked by the vet. One of the puppies had a heart murmur and the breeder opted to put the dog to sleep bc of the murmur (she said she couldn't sell him). (I do not remeber the grade) So, I asked the vet if I could take him and the lady agreed to giving me the puppy. His murmur resolved and he lived a very happy life Hopefully your puppy will be okay too!! Best wishes!

Old 22nd June 2010, 06:35 AM
Reasonable Moderator

Puppy murmurs often resolved themselves as they grow older. Most regular vets are not capable of accurately grading a murmur. He needs to go to a cardiologist for an accurate diagnosis. If it turns out to be only a grade 1-2, I would not be concerned.

Good luck!

Old 22nd June 2010, 06:56 AM
Boxer Insane

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Puppy murmurs often resolved themselves as they grow older. He needs to go to a cardiologist for an accurate diagnosis. If it turns out to be only a grade 1-2, I would not be concerned.

Good luck!
Sally's puppy murmur has resolved itself. I have had her checked by a cardiologist & her regular vet is is aware of potential cardiac issues. At this point, she is a happy, healthy 3 yr old.
Good luck-
Mary

Old 22nd June 2010, 02:12 PM
Boxer Pal

Thank you!

Thank you all for your feedback. The breeder had scheduled to see a cardiologist tomorrow but called today with bad news. The puppy passed away today. They aren't sure if it was the heart murmur or not. So sad.....

Old 22nd June 2010, 03:36 PM
Boxer Insane

Oh no, I am so sorry! Rest in peace, little puppy.

Old 22nd June 2010, 03:59 PM
Boxer Insane

I am so sorry. RIP little one!
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 22nd June 2010, 04:20 PM
Boxer Pal

Oh that is so sad . Poor puppy. Sorry to hear that!

Old 23rd June 2010, 07:03 AM
Reasonable Moderator

I am so sorry!
Godspeed little pup

Old 23rd June 2010, 08:36 AM
Boxer Booster

Unhappy

I am so sorry