Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 6th June 2010, 12:41 PM
Boxer Pal

Seasonal Flank Alopecia - remedies?

Hello, this is my first post on BoxerWorld. Our four year old spayed female flashy fawn boxer, Jazzi, has recently developed bald patches on her flanks, just ahead of her hips. These are pretty bald, with dark skin showing where the hair was formerly. She also has a larger not-quite-as-bald area on the center of her back, just above the rump. The bald patches are very symetrical, in a 'Mickey Mouse pattern'. See a photo here:

alopecia_ScreenRes.png - Windows Live

From my reading on this site, it sounds like this is pretty typical seasonal flank alopecia. Jazzi has an appointment with her regular vet on Tuesday, so we will get that confirmed.

My questions are: It sounds like melatonin is the best treatment for SFA. Are there any downsides to using it? Has anyone had a bad experience using melatonin to treat SFA? Is the oral melatonin for humans, available without a prescription at the drugstore OK to use, or is there a better canine version? I read one post that indicated that oral melatonin wouldn't work, and you had to use the injectable form. Does anyone have experience on that subject?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm really glad to have discovered this community.

AbbotM
The Following User Says Thank You to AbbotM For This Useful Post:
HokieGirl (7th June 2010)
Sponsored Links

Old 7th June 2010, 01:09 PM
Boxer Buddy

I am interested in this also as Rocki has the same spots and they have grown to be on her hind legs also.

Old 9th June 2010, 07:47 AM
Boxer Pal

I've used meletonin on my Hailey in her younger years. She never had super bald spots but but did have patches of thinning hair. I live in a cold climate (Northern Michigan) and every spring Hailey would end up with the thinning hair. Vet said it was from lack of sunlight over the winter. I gave her otc meletonin and it worked well for us. Plus I think once she started spending more time out side in the good sunny weather that helped also

Old 9th June 2010, 02:36 PM
Super Boxer

Sunshine! Sunshine is the best treatment.

Old 9th June 2010, 06:55 PM
Boxer Buddy

Oscar had it this spring...pretty bad, down the middle and both flanks. We gave him lots of sunning time as well as put him on NuPro supplements. Filled in on top, sides still a bit bare. Doesn't bother him a bit, just got dry initially.